Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The_Spider-Fan

The first Harry Potter spin-off movie is set to land in November 2016..

Never let the fact that you've run short of material get in the way of a good franchise. With eight Harry Potter films under its belt, it was revealed some time ago that Warner Bros was planning a spin-off series. That spin-off is centred on Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, written by J K Rowling back in 2001. It's the textbook that Harry Potter uses himself.

In the Potter stories, the book is written by Newt Scamander, and it's that character that's going to be the centre of the new project. A trilogy of films based around the character of Newt is planned, and these are going to be set 70 years before the existing Harry Potter story starts. J K Rowling is penning the screenplay for the movies. And we now have a release date for the first one: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is set for cinema release on November 18th 2016.

Source: Warner Bros sets release date for Harry Potter spin-off | Den of Geek

Edited by The_Spider-Fan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (surely FB&WtFT) news and a schedulued release date of 18th November 2016:

Prisoner Of Azkaban director Alfonso Cuaron may be returning for the first Harry Potter spin-off movie...

With an Oscar under his belt for his directorial work on last year's Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron may now be returning to the franchise where he made a substantive mark. For it's being reported that he's in talks with Warner Bros to direct the first Harry Potter spin-off movie, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

The screenplay for Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is being penned by J K Rowling, based around a textbook that the students at Hogwarts use. The film is planned as the first in a new trilogy, albeit set 70 years before Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone.

Alfonso Cuaron is the man generally regarded as having made the best directed - if not the best - of the Potter films. He took charge of the third one, Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, and was earmarked to return for a later film too.

Production on Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is due to start next year, ahead of the film's release on November 18th 2016.

Source: Gravity's Alfonso Cuaron to direct Harry Potter spin-off | Den of Geek

Just got this from off one of the various Harry Potter wikis out there. This is some detail on the main character who will feature in the new films. I'm kinda scrathing my head as to how they are looking to get a trilogy of films out of this.

Newton Artemis Fido "Newt" Scamander is the fictional author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, born in 1897. According to the "About the Author" section of the book, Scamander became a magizoologist because of his own interest in fabulous beasts and the encouragement of his mother, an enthusiastic Hippogriff breeder. In Hogwarts, he was sorted to Hufflepuff.

After graduating from Hogwarts, Scamander joined the Ministry of Magic in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. His career included a brief stint in the Office of House-elf Relocation, a transfer to the Beast Division, the creation of the Werewolf Register in 1947, the 1965 passage of the Ban on Experimental Breeding, and many research trips for the Dragon Research and Restraint Bureau. His contributions to Magizoology earned him an Order of Merlin, Second Class in 1979.

Now retired, he lives in Dorset with his wife Porpentina and their pet Kneazles: Hoppy, Milly and Mauler. He has a grandson named Rolf, who married Luna Lovegood some time after the events of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

In the film version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Newt Scamander's name appeared on the Marauder's Map. Why he was at Hogwarts was not addressed, but it is likely to be linked to Buckbeak, the Hippogriff Hagrid has at the school.

Interesting that his name was on the Marauders Map in PoA.

This is one hell of a money making franchise.

That's more than likely that's the reason for this. I'm not too set on spin-offs, especially with movies like this. I can't really give my honest opinion until I see a preview, and even then, I don't think I'm going to like the product.

The first Harry Potter spin-off movie is set to land in November 2016..

Never let the fact that you've run short of material get in the way of a good franchise. With eight Harry Potter films under its belt, it was revealed some time ago that Warner Bros was planning a spin-off series. That spin-off is centred on Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, written by J K Rowling back in 2001. It's the textbook that Harry Potter uses himself.

In the Potter stories, the book is written by Newt Scamander, and it's that character that's going to be the centre of the new project. A trilogy of films based around the character of Newt is planned, and these are going to be set 70 years before the existing Harry Potter story starts. J K Rowling is penning the screenplay for the movies. And we now have a release date for the first one: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is set for cinema release on November 18th 2016.

http://territrespicio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/SweetBrown.jpg

The only good thing about this is that Alfonso Cuaron will be directing it. I think the Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best movie of them all, and what he'll deliver on this could be quite interesting! Hell, this spin-off may even be better than most of the original movies (but maybe that's just me being too sarcastic there)...

That said, the whole project has "shameless money grab" painted all over it. I actually have the book they're referring to. It's about 60 pages long: the first third is an introduction about different subjects (what is a beast, muggle awareness, classifications, etc.), the rest is just a list of various beasts. And it's not even an interesting read (slightly better than its companion "Quidditch through the ages" though). :rolleyes:

I honestly don't know how they're gonna get 3 movies from it. I'm not saying they'll be bad, but no one would have noticed if they were released under a different name. They're just branding it Harry Potter to keep milking the franchise, and that's usually a bad sign.

More HP gossip:

Alfonso Cuaron, the director of Gravity, has dismissed rumours linking him to the Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, saying that he will not be returning to the Harry Potter franchise.

The Oscar-winning filmmaker, who directed Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, had become a favourite to direct the big screen take on the new project.

The 54-page book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was published in 2001 and featured in the Harry Potter series as one of the Hogwarts textbooks.

However, Cuaron has now denied any involvement, telling Spanish news agency EFE: "It was a very beautiful experience for me. I have a lot of love for that universe and I tremendously admire JK Rowling, but today, for the present, projects based around lots of visual effects don't attract me.

"I'm coming out of a five-year process of doing visual effects and now I sort of want to clean my palate of that a little bit."

David Heyman will produce the film, which will be about a "magizoologist" named Newt Scamander.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set for release on November 18, 2016.

Source: Alfonso Cuaron denies involvement in Harry Potter spin-off - Movies News - Digital Spy

• 2 months later...

Some good news for the new Harry Potter movies. David Yates looks set to return as director and JK Rowling is going to be writing it:

Just when he thought he was out, David Yates is back in the world of Harry Potter.

Yates, who directed four of the eight Harry Potter movies for Warner Bros., is in negotiations with the studio to direct Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the new Potter-based franchise the studio is hoping to launch with author J.K. Rowling.

Rowling is writing the screenplay for the movie, which is set 70 years before the events of the Potter series, and centers on a fictitious author named Newton Artemis Fido Scamander. In Potter lore, Scamander compiled a reference guide to magical beasts, and the movies will follow his adventures after he is commissioned to write the tome. Unlike the Potter stories, which kicked off in London, Fantastic Beasts will begin in New York.

Fantastic Beasts is a massive undertaking for Warners, which is keen on keeping the magic of Potter alive beyond the initial eight-movie franchise, which grossed more than $7.6 billion worldwide. When announcing the Fantastic Beasts partnership with Rowling in September 2013, Warners said the property was being developed across video game, consumer product and digital initiative businesses.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Yates directed the acclaimed British miniseries State of Play (later turned into an American movie starring Russell Crowe) and several TV movies before making his feature debut helming 2007’s Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Half-Blood Prince and parts 1 and 2 of Deathly Hallows followed.

Rowling was heavily involved with the movies and developed a strong relationship with the director, so he is a natural choice to take the reins on Fantastic Beasts.

Source: 'Harry Potter' Spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts' Nabs David Yates to Direct - Hollywood Reporter