Best Racing Game Of This Generation?

KRyPT

I really think Apocalyspe is the best racing game released in many years. It has more "holy ****" moments than most action games and the 3D effects are insane!

My only gripe so far is with the story telling...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The judgment is best saved until the final game is released (assuming you are judging based off the demo..but you also mention story so you might have full game already). I myself haven't played it yet, but will download later.

I think it'll have to be really good if it's to be the best racing game of this generation. So far, my favorite has undoubtedly been Burnout Paradise. Now that was a damn good racing game, and a overall great game in general. If this game is as varied as that one, if the crashes are as fun to look at, if the you truly feel yourself going at breakneck speed, then yes, perhaps this one will be the greatest. Really looking forward to trying this out.

I should clarify that I'm not a huge racing game fan

I own both GT5 and Forza 2 and I find them both extremely boring.

As for arcade racers, I enjoyed Split Second, Hot Pursuit and Blur but Apocalypse blows them all away.

I really liked the PS2 Burnout games, but I felt Paradise was toned down far too much.

As for arcade racers, I enjoyed Split Second, Hot Pursuit and Blur but Apocalypse blows them all away.

I really liked the PS2 Burnout games, but I felt Paradise was toned down far too much.

How did you get the game early? Anyway do you have Pacific Rift to compare it to? I really enjoyed that game and am fairly hyped up for Apocalypse! :D

I haven't tried the demo (very slow broadband, so couldn't be bothered downloading it). But I can't wait to get this game!. For me it'll probably be "The Best Racing Game Of This Generation".

Different people prefer different types of racing games though. So I'm sure there will be loads of people who prefer sim type racing games, and will hate this game.

I have only played the demo so far & although it was decent i am not sure so far if its better than Pacific Rift, the whole destroying buildings etc looks cool but thats just been stolen from split second theres nothing new in this feature at all.

it may have been the new super car and super bikes they let us use but i found the handling alot poorer also.

I got on with the bike better than the car, cant wait to try the full game and use some of the classic cars as i became quite the fan of the monster truck.

I really think this will have some people wishing it was more like pacific rift while bringing other new gamers to the series.

on a whole i look forward to it but im keeping an open mind.

Also another worry i have about the whole press a button to make said building fall down is the game will become all to simular! i dont know about you but after i see that sky scrapper fall down in the same places 10+ times i begin to tire of seeing it & will probably end up not bother pushing the buttons just so it doesnt go all slow mo when all i want to do is race on.

Sorry if this sounds negative just trying to view my concerns for what i hope to be a supurb game

I thought the demo was crap and made me consider whether or not I would even get the game. The actual game is a LOT better than the demo though.

Good game but I think Pacific Rift is better so far, I'm yet to try online though, but I doubt it will be better than Pacific Rift. The fact it still has such bad rubberband AI is annoying though.

Quite an improvement since Pacific Rift if you ask me. This episode loses the "paradise feeling" and the beautiful landscapes, but gains in credibility and fun.

Very similar to Split/Second concerning the scenery passive QTE, apart from that the game is pretty darn good. The gameplay is now perfect and balanced, as it was a bit "sloppy" and there was too much hang time before.

Much more action packed and nervous game. I was afraid of the final result could be, after testing the demo, and frankly it is great.

But I won't say it is the best racing game since a few years, though.

Edit : The online is very polished, lots of things to unlock. Pretty similar to Blur, with objectives and challenge-based rewards. Lots of fun.

• 1 month later...

It WAS the best/most fun racing game of this generation until they released this abomination. It shouldn't even have the Motorstorm branding on it as i thought i was getting a fun filled, exhilarating adrenaline pumping racing game like the first two. What i actually got was, whilst a technically superb, graphically superior follow up, what they added in WOW factor moments and a good graphical showcase, they removed the fun and ripped the heart and soul out of this series.

I bought Motorstorm on launch day of the PS3 and was gobsmacked. Pacific Rift was a day one purchase for me and lasted me a good few months, especially going for all the trophies, and i loved every bit of it. All the chaos and excitement came from the selection of different cars racing on well thought out, challenging tracks.

Apocalypse just doesnt draw me in for another go in the same way as the previous two. All the chaos now comes from buildings falling down and earthquakes forming on the roads you drive on. All the fun has been replaced by frustration and an unrequired story line that will make you wonder where it all went wrong. :mad:

Do yourselves a favour if you haven't gotten into this series yet, and may have liked the look of the game from the adverts. Get Pacific Rift. Its much more of a complete game, more challenging to complete and will last you longer than this flash in the Pan. If you already love the Motorstorm series, wait until you have a 3D TV and buy the Pacific Rift 3D download rather than this steaming turd of a game.

Can i have my money back please Evolution Studios?

im with you on this one. i only bought MS to trade in so i can get Portal 2 for cheap, now i want to keep it! its a great game.

• 2 weeks later...

rift was a really good game, it takes a lot for me to keep a game after im done playing it and rift has been in my collection for a long long time now. With that said, i absolutely HATED the rubberband a.i. in rift, it really killed the fun of the game to me, and that is the sole reason i wont be getting this new one most likely, at least, until it reaches the 20 dollar price range, and even then im not sure lol.

rift was a really good game, it takes a lot for me to keep a game after im done playing it and rift has been in my collection for a long long time now. With that said, i absolutely HATED the rubberband a.i. in rift, it really killed the fun of the game to me, and that is the sole reason i wont be getting this new one most likely, at least, until it reaches the 20 dollar price range, and even then im not sure lol.

i wouldnt worry about AI in this game... theres only 48 races for the festival and everything else is all online play and theres no rubberband online... you unlock everything online... the SP is pretty much nothing

This game is solid. I've only had it a day and I really like it. Handling and race environments are much better then MS2. IMHO. So I don't know if its the BEST of our generation but its Top 5.

handling better??? it feels like im driving on rails lol... too each his own but noway is this better game then RIFT:whistle:

As a casual MS player at best, I feel MS:A does have tighter handling, depending on your vehicle too. It ain't Burnout, but I can drift and navigate corners better in this than the other MS games. Traded in MS1 ages ago cuz I hated the floaty handling. Didn't even fail to qualify once on the hardest difficulty this time out.

Edited by Achemki

handling better??? it feels like im driving on rails lol... too each his own but noway is this better game then RIFT:whistle:

ha ha this is what I love about racing games. See I thought Rift was like driving a boat in mud and although I liked it, it wasn't my favorite handling style. MS4 is slightly more up my alley. It feels tighter and more responsive or at least it responds more like I think it should. *shrug*

Either way, Packers are Superbowl Champions... that's all that matters. Right?

No way its game of the decade Pacific rift was much better. I'd give Need for Speed hot pursuit (reboot) the title this game relies on multiplayer way too much.

Nah, i'd have to disagree. Pacific Rift is the best racing game so far this generation, i'd love some more DLC for it and it should be released as a £10 PSN download by now to keep the online fresh and full of players.

If your more into realism and simulation, then you can't look past GT5. I'm not even sure Hot Pursuit is the best Need for Speed game