Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Official Bitching Thread

There are a few things that drive me crazy about this game. First off the computer AI in MK2 is so f***ing cheap that the only way to defeat them is by being cheap yourself.

Kintaro and Motaro were also a big pain in the ass as they constantly beat the crap out of me even with the cheap tactics I was using.

Lastly, Shao Kahn is a cheap spamming pain in the ass! Those who played it or any other Mortal Kombat game probably know what I mean by that.

Uhh, let's see...the game's broken. The game's broken. Oh yeah, and the game's broken. I emailed WB's customer service with a serious yet professional letter describing the severe issues with this game. And I'll be emailing my review to their PR as well. This is outright ridiculous. Games are meant to be fun. There is no fun to be had forcing yourself to fight cheap. Hell, even that don't work in MKII. I'm yet to find a way to beat that game. Open to suggestions, though I feel like I tried everything.

While I don't condone the fact that the AI in the original MK games is cheap, I find it pretty funny that that seems to be the thing everyone's complained about so far in this thread. What the hell did you expect? These are (supposedly) arcade perfect ports, the AIs always been that way. They weren't changing anything, just adding online, trophies/cheevos and a nice menu system to tie all 3 games together into a convenient little package.

Now I can only go with what I've read because I have yet to get the game (guess my bitching about the game is the fact that it's NOT BLOODY OUT FOR EU PSN YET!), but from what I've read the real problems lie in the fact that online's terrible and sounds glitch out, frame rates not same as the arcade versions etc. Isn't anyone going to ellaborate on these things that were actually expected to be fine?

i wont bitch about how hard it is like everyone else has.

i will instead bitch about something different like how fucking bad the controls are on this game.

try to do a specific move and the game wont read your input.

go to do a fatal and the game wont read your input.

but then you only have 5 damn seconds to input the fatal command so by the time you half way through the second try the guy just falls over.

responsive this fucker is not.

btw MK1 has the best timer for fatal time limit.

the problem is it didnt age well gameplay wise.

you can actually screw up once and have a shot at doing it a second time.

UMK3 on the other hand you have about 2 seconds total to try the first time. fail and dont bother with a second attempt because you wont get it off in time.

The one complain that bothers me the most about this collection is that the lag is severely HORRENDOUS!! I absolutely can't stand it. It makes me not want to play online. I hope, if anything, that they release a patch making online a little bit better.

Same here, at first I was all happy to play those classic.

Then I try 3 games online in MK2, man, sad and horrible ... it's simply UNPLAYABLE ... Lag is terrible.

Good thing is, I got my 2 online trophy on this 3rd game, I wont be playing until they fix this.

For people complaning about AI, it makes me lol.

I spent so much time playing those games at the arcades and on my snes, it wasn't hard at all to beat those 3 games. Back in the days, you learned how to control yourself and learn the AI pattern to beat it. Whatever the way you had to. Now games are so easy that we don't have/need that patience anymore ... ;)

Same here, at first I was all happy to play those classic.

Then I try 3 games online in MK2, man, sad and horrible ... it's simply UNPLAYABLE ... Lag is terrible.

Good thing is, I got my 2 online trophy on this 3rd game, I wont be playing until they fix this.

For people complaning about AI, it makes me lol.

I spent so much time playing those games at the arcades and on my snes, it wasn't hard at all to beat those 3 games. Back in the days, you learned how to control yourself and learn the AI pattern to beat it. Whatever the way you had to. Now games are so easy that we don't have/need that patience anymore ... ;)

LOL Same here man. I'm a vet at the game and played the AI so many times that it was 2nd nature to beat every single MK. I've played it so many times when I was younger on my SNES and even was a tourney player for MK3. I still have to admit that Shang Tsung on MK1 was a pain to beat, then Kintaro. I didn't lose to Shao Kahn once because I already knew how to beat him. He was very easy to me. LOL

LOL Same here man. I'm a vet at the game and played the AI so many times that it was 2nd nature to beat every single MK. I've played it so many times when I was younger on my SNES and even was a tourney player for MK3. I still have to admit that Shang Tsung on MK1 was a pain to beat, then Kintaro. I didn't lose to Shao Kahn once because I already knew how to beat him. He was very easy to me. LOL

You are comparing the SNES version to Arcade? You do know that SNES and Genesis versions were both dumb'd down so kids don't get their asses kicked while Arcade was meant to beat your ass down and eat your Quarters.... I still have my SNES cartridges that I went back to test and really the games are a joke over there just as I remembered them to be!

You are comparing the SNES version to Arcade? You do know that SNES and Genesis versions were both dumb'd down so kids don't get their asses kicked while Arcade was meant to beat your ass down and eat your Quarters.... I still have my SNES cartridges that I went back to test and really the games are a joke over there just as I remembered them to be!

Umm.....no I'm not comparing the SNES to the Arcade. Where did you get that from in my statement? I never said that. I was just iterating how I beat the AI so many times in the console versions. I know that arcade was much harder. I've beat every single arcade version of MK. All 4.

Still it was nostalgic for me to reminisce on the days where I would make my family and friends past the controller around on the console version. I really didn't have a problem getting past any of the bosses except for Shang Tsung for some reason. He was as hard as I remembered him to be. It took me $2.50 to beat him. Old bastard!

Well, since we do have some vets and trophy whores alike, perhaps I can ask for a favor. Seeing as I am having the ultimate trouble with MKII and I've tried everything and have almost all moves memorized and the movements of the enemies to a T, can one of you please explain how I can defeat Shang Tsung on. I practically beg xD. I am so close to that one Gold. All I need is MKII.

It took me 3 and a half hours to beat MKII on normal (don't know if easy helps)

I was upset for my first hour of play, but after that I started laughing and having a good time, because it was so unfair and hard.

Going for a round 2 win was always nerve racking, and every time I beat a character it was very satisfying. Honestly if I had my way when I started, I would have beaten the game in 15 mins and moved on with my life, but looking back on it now I'm glad it turned out this way.

Beat it using Kitana and her Fan Lift move.

Edited by VanDeaM

Kitana fan lift/jump kick/fan blade combo, or just use Baraka and constantly spam the blade fury. Most of the time the cpu will just walk right into it. Shang Tsung MKII gave me the absolute hardest time, hell I probably fought that fool 30 times before I beat him lol. And the sad thing is, I played all these games in arcade and on SNES too! The SNES ports were easier, but I still remember UMK3 giving me trouble. Haven't tried the online yet, but if it's as lag ridden as everyone says, I'm not looking forward to it.

My major problem is with the unresponsive controls and the 2 second pause after you get out of the pause menu where the cpu can still beat the piss out of you while you can't retaliate. Otherwise the difficulty is as I remember it in the arcade lol. It's designed to suck your money away.

Obviously tjhis is still not out in EU yet, I already have the MK2 PSN game from a couple of years ago aparently they famously used the very hardest setting for the port, the same ridiculously cheap AI version they also included with Shaolin Monks on PS2. Basically after the 4th guy you can only win if the CPU decides you are allowed to win and doesn't instant counter your joystick input.

How does the version in this new Kollection compare to the older PSN version if anyone has both?

I guess I was totally naive in buying this thinking I was buying the console ports. I simply cannot beat the AI and this is not fun. Don't put a very easy/easy mode in a game if it is meaningless!!! If there was only normal/hard/expert I would understand and accept the difficulty. It's just stupid to fight an autocounter enemy.

The only real bitch I can do is UMK3 still to me remains one of the dirtiest cheapest fighters I've ever played. And I even remember playing the SNES version and was still pissed with it because it just wasn't fun to me.

There's a difference in learning curves or challenge, to just flat out dirty tactics and cheapness and indeed UMK3 was riddled with this. Other than Cyber Smoke, I never could beat the whole ladder regardless of what path I took with any other fighter -- then of course you reach Motaro and Shao Kahn and as other people have pointed out, they were both so ridiculous to me that I remember in my old arcade days, it started to make me really despise MK at that time because even though I was able to beat them, and there was still learning curves for MK1 - MK3 (which inevitably cost me a lot of quarters even then), UMK3 just always made me go why are there people praising this game as much as I hear it.

I would say maybe having 2 players play against each other increases the fun factor, but the lag in this at times is so unbearable that I was glad there was only 2 online trophies and I got them done as quick as I could.

Thats the only real major bitch I can do -- because again I pretty much mastered MK1 and MK2 from back in the day and it was still a joy playing them again all these years later.

Edited by jadedxspawn

Give it a little more time, they'll start to do even worse lol.

I swear that game can read your mind sometimes. :devil:

Oh yeah it can. LOL I was playing the arcade yesterday for MK2 and Sub Zero did an Ice pool then and Ice ball at the same time. He did it like 6 times. Everyone knows once you do an Ice pool that you have to wait til it dissipates before you can throw an Ice ball. The AI does cheat a lot. LOL It always has though.

There are a few things that drive me crazy about this game. First off the computer AI in MK2 is so f***ing cheap that the only way to defeat them is by being cheap yourself.

Kintaro and Motaro were also a big pain in the ass as they constantly beat the crap out of me even with the cheap tactics I was using.

Lastly, Shao Kahn is a cheap spamming pain in the ass! Those who played it or any other Mortal Kombat game probably know what I mean by that.

Shao Kahn On UMK3 is a pain in the ASS his shit is almost predictable and unblock-able.. It seems no matter what I do I get my ass beat.. Blocking avoiding jumping.. Shit his hits take a good chunk of my life.. I find i can bet him once and thats IT! then he kills me! MK1 was a pain the ASS.. I m on "very easy" since these games pissed me off hell.. I played Street Fighter 4 on normal or medium and found it "easy" Even for UMK3 on VE it feels "hard" these bosses are a pain in the ass.. There hits take to much damage and some times you can only jump like on Mataro or whatever his name is.. this is beyond enjoyable this is ridiculous. I find my self yelling at the game more then anything.. Fatalitys and everything dont work right.. I have to enter them a second time for the dude to fall and everything yeah. this game has allot of bugs that need to be worked.. The lag on line sucks.. Worth the 10 bucks? Hmm I cant really say at this time.. So far not really.. If they fix it suuure..

I still think MK2 was the worst overall because it literally took me 4hrs to do over time (breaks were taken). But UMK3 was the only one that made me rage quit. I got to the Endurance round with Scorpion no sweat, even did an animality or two just to be cocky. Then Endurance Round came, I knew it wasn't gunna be fun.. But seriously? Cyber Smoke/Sektor?! Telepunch > kick. Telepunch > kick, over and over and over.. And just when you get rid of one, the other comes in and repeats the process! The worst. I literally couldn't do a damn thing about it.

I actually looked it up online, the Endurance round teams are random. Other bad combinations were Ermac/Jade, Smoke/Scorpion.. some other ones I can't remember, but Cyber Smoke/Sektor was #2 on the list of worst team to face... Just my luck. I weighed my odds, decided to start over. Got Sub Zero/Stryker second time around, did it first try.

even though MK2 is a challenge for me 3 things i've noticed they throw me half way through my sweep, double uppercuts, and when I do bicycle kick with Liu Kang there able to punch me

also they can start a Front Jump Kick from the floor and if you take a good look you'll notice it follows you, they don't do the 360 in the air like a real person has to do (because you have to press F,U) also, they can grab you when you do B+LK right when your foot touches them, and the uppercuts it's just how stupid theirs are faster than yours... I dare to say that this game is the WORST game I've ever played in my entire life because of that, if you're playing local 1vs1 matches it's fun, but playing against the AI it's just complete bullshit, people who made it don't deserve to be respected because of that, it's so stupid, no matter how skilled you are, the AI will always hit you. I finished MKI and 3 in the same day in less than 2 hours, and this game, I've been playing it for 3 days and I still can't get through the 6th or 7th match....

OH!!! and I forgot, the controls!!! WTF!! who was in charge of that??? seriously, the guy needs to get another job, they don't respond 50% of the time.

Try playing with Sub-zero, when the AI is getting near sweep distance do the Ice Puddle, you can see the ice forming on the floor and then the stupid AI grabs you or kicks you... they didn't even cared that we could see that, left it there in plain view, no shame at all.

EDIT: I finally beat this stupid game, it took me 1 hour to get from Shang Tsung to beating Shao Khan, and like 2 hours to get to Shang Tsung... I'll never again play it... ladder mode that is. Now I'm going for the 200 victories...

Edited by andreslr6

also they can start a Front Jump Kick from the floor and if you take a good look you'll notice it follows you, they don't do the 360 in the air like a real person has to do (because you have to press F,U) also, they can grab you when you do B+LK right when your foot touches them, and the uppercuts it's just how stupid theirs are faster than yours... I dare to say that this game is the WORST game I've ever played in my entire life because of that, if you're playing local 1vs1 matches it's fun, but playing against the AI it's just complete bullshit, people who made it don't deserve to be respected because of that, it's so stupid, no matter how skilled you are, the AI will always hit you. I finished MKI and 3 in the same day in less than 2 hours, and this game, I've been playing it for 3 days and I still can't get through the 6th or 7th match....

OH!!! and I forgot, the controls!!! WTF!! who was in charge of that??? seriously, the guy needs to get another job, they don't respond 50% of the time.

Try playing with Sub-zero, when the AI is getting near sweep distance do the Ice Puddle, you can see the ice forming on the floor and then the stupid AI grabs you or kicks you... they didn't even cared that we could see that, left it there in plain view, no shame at all.

EDIT: I finally beat this stupid game, it took me 1 hour to get from Shang Tsung to beating Shao Khan, and like 2 hours to get to Shang Tsung... I'll never again play it... ladder mode that is. Now I'm going for the 200 victories...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Cannot wait for it to be released in the UK!!

Actually they have said on their Facebook they are aware of the issues and a patch is coming. Hopefully the cheap AI is one of the fixes.