Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

From a Mortal Kombat veteran

OK I believe I read somewhere here asking are the 3 games on this collection PERFECT arcade versions. After beating all 3 and having played the first 2 MK games beyond religiously and UMK3 a fair amount but not even close to their first 2, there are some differences.

MK1 -- there are some sound hiccups I noticed here and there, but the overall gameplay is pretty much perfect.

MK2 -- If you had the 2007 Sony Online version, you might remember that was pretty much a direct port of the MK2 version that was a unlockable reward in the buried PS2 gem MK Shaolin Monks; and after playing MK2 on this collection, there are some MAJOR sound hiccups on this version especially when you beat Shao Kahn and the credits roll. Again not a BIG deal as the gameplay is a very well played arcade clone, but if you are a MK perfectionist, you will notice the differences. Of the 2 MK2 versions avilable, if you are more a perfectionist, the Sony Online version is probably closer to a perfect arcade port.

UMK3 -- Again not having played this as much as the past 2, this port seemed to pretty much almost a perfect clone. I didn't notice any sound hiccups with this and if you've played UMK3 against the CPU it is still one of the cheapest fighters in history, unless you have Cyber Smoke perfectly mastered.

That being said, for 9.99 as a way to relive the classics and remember the days of gaming's yesteryear -- this collection overall is well worth the 9.99. If however as I said you are a MK perfectionist and want that complete arcade memory that you remember, its not here.

great post, thanks for your insight. i'm downloading it now. i wasted so many hours and quarters on MK back in the day, i was addicted.

UMK3 -- if you've played UMK3 against the CPU it is still one of the cheapest fighters in history, unless you have Cyber Smoke perfectly mastered.

LOL, i can't wait to rage playing UMK3. it;s going to be brutal for me until i knock the rust off :whistle:

Edited by DaddyGamer

umk3 has somthing missing and its kind of a huge deal for me... where the f*** is reg sub zero, rain, and noob? i know there are a few other ones im forgetting but i remember them from back in the day

You're thinking of MK Trilogy. It also had some MKI-II sprites in it for Raiden, Jax, Kano, and Kung Lao. Personally I hate that MK, half the time fatalities wouldn't work, when you won the game it froze, when you game over'd it froze, if you lost to reptile it froze... And then there was that bullshit AGGRESSOR game mechanic that just ruined everything.

Sorry, I'm ranting.. MK Trilogy was awful.

umk3 has somthing missing and its kind of a huge deal for me... where the f*** is reg sub zero, rain, and noob? i know there are a few other ones im forgetting but i remember them from back in the day

You mean those grey squares in the 2nd row, yes they are reserved for Mileena, Classic Sub Zero, and Ermac, but they are only unlocked via Ultimate Kombat Kode(s).

You need 2 controllers to be able to input them but I do not remember what they are off by heart. I'm sure if you find a UMK3 Wiki somewhere, it will show you what they are.

So thats not a glitch on the games part -- if you played it in the arcade and they were already unlocked, players before you unlocked them for people to use.

You're thinking of MK Trilogy. It also had some MKI-II sprites in it for Raiden, Jax, Kano, and Kung Lao. Personally I hate that MK, half the time fatalities wouldn't work, when you won the game it froze, when you game over'd it froze, if you lost to reptile it froze... And then there was that bullshit AGGRESSOR game mechanic that just ruined everything.

Sorry, I'm ranting.. MK Trilogy was awful.

Agreed I hated that game -- never understood why some loved it. I had in on PSX and couldn't bear to keep it.

OK I believe I read somewhere here asking are the 3 games on this collection PERFECT arcade versions. After beating all 3 and having played the first 2 MK games beyond religiously and UMK3 a fair amount but not even close to their first 2, there are some differences.

MK1 -- there are some sound hiccups I noticed here and there, but the overall gameplay is pretty much perfect.

MK2 -- If you had the 2007 Sony Online version, you might remember that was pretty much a direct port of the MK2 version that was a unlockable reward in the buried PS2 gem MK Shaolin Monks; and after playing MK2 on this collection, there are some MAJOR sound hiccups on this version especially when you beat Shao Kahn and the credits roll. Again not a BIG deal as the gameplay is a very well played arcade clone, but if you are a MK perfectionist, you will notice the differences. Of the 2 MK2 versions avilable, if you are more a perfectionist, the Sony Online version is probably closer to a perfect arcade port.

UMK3 -- Again not having played this as much as the past 2, this port seemed to pretty much almost a perfect clone. I didn't notice any sound hiccups with this and if you've played UMK3 against the CPU it is still one of the cheapest fighters in history, unless you have Cyber Smoke perfectly mastered.

That being said, for 9.99 as a way to relive the classics and remember the days of gaming's yesteryear -- this collection overall is well worth the 9.99. If however as I said you are a MK perfectionist and want that complete arcade memory that you remember, its not here.

From one MK veteran to another. That was spot on. I'm 29 years old and have played every single MK. I played the first 3 RELIGIOUSLY!! I even came in 2nd place in Columbus, OH in a tournament out of 43 fighters in MK 3. (yeah a 13 year old coming in 2nd place beating grown adults. LOL)

Good review man! Respect.....

Noob and Rain were only on Sega MD and SNES versions of UMK3. Not arcade.

From one MK veteran to another. That was spot on. I'm 29 years old and have played every single MK. I played the first 3 RELIGIOUSLY!! I even came in 2nd place in Columbus, OH in a tournament out of 43 fighters in MK 3. (yeah a 13 year old coming in 2nd place beating grown adults. LOL)

Good review man! Respect.....

Yeah I'm 33 and I still remember the long lineups at arcades and people putting their quarters up on the window bar there to be like hey I'm next. Ahhh to be 15 at that time LOL

But now I'm gonna try it without that patch cuz I haven't seen any info exactly what that patch did and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah I'm 33 and I still remember the long lineups at arcades and people putting their quarters up on the window bar there to be like hey I'm next. Ahhh to be 15 at that time LOL

But now I'm gonna try it without that patch cuz I haven't seen any info exactly what that patch did and see if it makes a difference.

Test the difficulty and see if it makes any difference in MK2 please, Im not holding my breath really but patches are known to break things from time to time. Still cant believe I have to start MK2 over again today, I know that is going to be at the back of my mind at all times now, if I get stuck on Kintaro long enough again the game has a good chance of freezing eventually and you have to start over AGAIN. I noticed it usually freezes after 50+ retrys lol... I almost beat his ass too, was 1 kick away from a 2nd victory and he blocked me like 5 times in a row and smacked me around to death, i almost broke the controller that time and I dont usually get gamer rage.

Edited by TheNukes

Test the difficulty and see if it makes any difference in MK2 please, Im not holding my breath really but patches are known to break things from time to time. Still cant believe I have to start MK2 over again today, I know that is going to be at the back of my mind at all times now, if I get stuck on Kintaro long enough again the game has a good chance of freezing eventually and you have to start over AGAIN. I noticed it usually freezes after 50+ retrys lol... I almost beat his ass too, was 1 kick away from a 2nd victory and he blocked me like 5 times in a row and smacked me around to death, i almost broke the controller that time and I dont usually get gamer rage.

Hmmm looks like the patch isn't deletable -- so instead it appears I have to re-download it and start it again. When I do I will deny the patch install and see if matters. As far as the difficulty, I can pretty much guarantee it won't matter. These games back in the day were more about technique and learning the ropes and trying to change it to Very Easy made little to no difference.

I'll try a couple fights just to be absolutely certain though.

Hmmm looks like the patch isn't deletable -- so instead it appears I have to re-download it and start it again. When I do I will deny the patch install and see if matters. As far as the difficulty, I can pretty much guarantee it won't matter. These games back in the day were more about technique and learning the ropes and trying to change it to Very Easy made little to no difference.

I'll try a couple fights just to be absolutely certain though.

Right that is kinda what I am afraid of, that these difficulty settings were this way in Arcades and there for they wont be fixing anything. I wouldn't even mind it as long as the game didn't get lock ups after playing it for a few hours because I can just keep at it but restarting from scratch is a pain in the ass.

• 3 months later...