A Hot Lap Tip

DrJitsu

Just a quick tip for those having difficulty with the hot lap. Basically try holding down boost for the whole lap. As always, try to drift as much as possible to build up your boost meter.

I was having a lot of trouble with this trophy... always about 8 seconds off the best time. I tried this, just held down my boost the whole lap and drifted as much as possible, knocked 5 seconds off my time, and got the trophy no problem.

I hope this helpful.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, belated response, but that'll definitely increase your speed. If possible, you'd want to be using a bit of boost with each start of a drift if not all the way through it to keep maximum speed (save for when you're hitting boost pads). It'd also be a good idea to make sure you're +2 speed in kart options. The handling or drift's importance changes based on whether the track has sharp turns or straightaways, but I've found +1 in either direction works just fine (tend to prefer increased drift).

I want to know how the fastest ppl manage to drift down an entire straight and bosst the whole way, also, I want to know how they boost the whol way, and while I', at it, how do they get so much extra speed at the start??? I tried boosting over the start line but didn't get as much speed as they did. Right I've finished moaning....

Anyway, use the website to see how fast you need to be, the divide the total No of ppl by 10 to see wher you need to be placed.

ModNation™ Racers - Hot Lap Race

Heh, can't help you beat the top 5 to 15 fastest times as those people play Modnation religiously, but you might find yourself off to a faster start if you're able to drift into a boost and get airborne (staying in the drift so you keep momentum and add to the boost meter when you land).

As far as keeping your boost meter up goes, it comes down to drifting, pulling stunts on jumps and staying as close to the edges as you can (especially on turns). Obviously you don't need shields, so keep your finger on the boost trigger as much as possible, but try to reserve a little for sharp turns so you can round corners faster.

When doing the hot lap, it also comes in handy to drive through once or twice slowly just to check for any bread crumb passages or hidden jumps if you're not able to keep up with the top lap time's ghost. Doing all of this, I tended to get at least the top 10%, if not better, whenever I've participated in the hot lap. I hope this helps, but if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to edit the post accordingly.

Alright I'm trying to get the Flaming Hot trophy. Get in the top 10% in Hot Lap Mode on any given day

I'm currently on the 14th place on the leaderboard. My question is, when is the map changed?

At midnight in what country/state?

Because I guess I'm playing here too early, that's why I'm up so high at the moment, but I keep going down and down the more time that goes.

I used to be on the 11th place first...

Only 92 has been playing right now so I guess I'm not qualified for the trophy yet. :(

Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a good time to attempt this during the week? Past couple of days I have attempted and been about 40 or so people behind being in the top 10% and usually by 3 or so seconds. Was wondering for the people that have successfully completed this if it is better to try on weekends, double xp weeks, or just any random day. Currently past couple of days have had about 400 people on the list. Not sure if that is a lot or very low.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
This hot lap trophy is driving me nuts. How come people are so good at this game? They beat my best time with 10 - 15 sec. Im not the best player in the world but 15 sec is huge difference. Seriously who are you people? I have wipeout plat in my collection but Modnation racer is way harder...

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ghopl.png

Yep the game is indeed hard because require skills (and luck) but i can share some tips for Hot Lap (and trust me this works, i got the 10% all the time when i race a Hot Lap track)

1- Set your Driving style: press R1 and go to the wheel icon, put Acceleration +1 and Driffing +1

2- Meet the track: the best way is complete the 1st lap, exit and see the ghost leader for discover the better route and shorcuts (Note: doesn't work if the track was glitched)

3- Starting the best lap: after meeting the track, we shall prepare for set the best time!, first for all earn a lot of turbo and use it while you are driffing (you will earn velocity and turbo at the same time) after getting a lot of velocity, keep them until the finish line and now the thing start to be interesting...

4- Best lap time: keep driffing and using turbo (and of course earning turbo) and don't press the brake (if is necessary) but principally DON'T crash to the walls!, you'll lost a lot of velocity and maybe mees up your time, keep the fast velocity until the finish line and set your time

5- Time difference and how i know that i'll be in the top 10% board tomorrow?: Simple get at least less than 5 seconds of difference with the Hot Lap leader's ghost, and yes "5 SECONDS", if you get like 6, 7 or maybe 8 seconds of difference you must be lucky in be in the 10% (sometimes i got like 6 or 6.5 seconds of difference and i didn't entry in the top 10%)

6- Better Days for Hot Lap: i highly recommend in do it in weekends, why?, because there are more people playing and set their records on Hot Lap (and yes: more people = more chance in be in the 10% board since the time difference are more, like 6 or 7 seconds of difference with the leader's ghost)

Also sometimes there are Hot Lap tracks that are very easy to play it, check it every day until find the best track for your skills

Well hope this help, i didn't know that there was people that found this trophy hard but beleive me is not, just need a little of practice and time

Edited by Totavier

• 2 weeks later...

how i got this trophy was basically practice a certain race track over and over. like 30 laps lol. this was without that +2 speed option. just race and race and try to shave off your best time. try different paths and memorise the speed boosts and things like that. good luck guys. :) the one i did was like a snow level. like a ski resort or something lol.

5- Time difference and how i know that i'll be in the top 10% board tomorrow?: Simple get at least less than 5 seconds of difference with the Hot Lap leader's ghost, and yes "5 SECONDS", if you get like 6, 7 or maybe 8 seconds of difference you must be lucky in be in the 10% (sometimes i got like 6 or 6.5 seconds of difference and i didn't entry in the top 10%)

Well hope this help, i didn't know that there was people that found this trophy hard but beleive me is not, just need a little of practice and time

I'm currently below 5 seconds from the Leader. I hope you're right about the 5 seconds thing!

Also, how do you check the standings? I can only get the top 3.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer my own question, there are about 400 people playing the hot lap each day. So, you need to be in the top 40 (41 as the time I checked) in order to get the trophy. That is pure rediculous, and This trophy prevents platinums. At this point, the community are a bunch of experts who can flawlessly do hot laps.

I tried glitching today's hotlap by following the leader ghost, and I did exactly what it was doing, and nothing! It blew up by the fence, but for some reason, it kept registering as an illegal shortcut and or wrong way. I never even got reset to the other side, so I didn't even bother anymore.

Today's non glitch racers have a difference of 3 seconds from the non glitched racers. It just keeps getting better...

Edited by a3069namebke

To answer my own question, there are about 400 people playing the hot lap each day. So, you need to be in the top 40 (41 as the time I checked) in order to get the trophy. That is pure rediculous, and This trophy prevents platinums. At this point, the community are a bunch of experts who can flawlessly do hot laps.

I tried glitching today's hotlap by following the leader ghost, and I did exactly what it was doing, and nothing! It blew up by the fence, but for some reason, it kept registering as an illegal shortcut and or wrong way. I never even got reset to the other side, so I didn't even bother anymore.

Today's non glitch racers have a difference of 3 seconds from the non glitched racers. It just keeps getting better...

This is exactly the problem I'm having!!!! This trophy is driving me crazy!!!!!!

I got so fed up with it the other day after racing 40 laps around that I also tried blowing myself like the ghost. But like you said all that came up was the "illegal shortcut!

I'm going as fast as I can, I'm flying, but I still can't catch the ghost!!!!!

Is there any other way to get this trophy?!

Fingers crossed I am getting the hot lap trophy tomorrow (4 seconds behind leader). I have come up with a few tips for people struggling with the trophy, like I always have.

• ALWAYS try on short tracks! There is less margin for error, so there is a lot of room for improvement.

• Try early in the morning. You will "follow" your time throughout the day, and if you need to improve, go ahead.

• The same people always nab the first few positions. So really, you only have 20 slots to earn the trophy in. (Positions 20-40)

• At least less than 5 seconds slower than leader's ghost.

• Run 50+ laps! I don't improve slowly. It takes like 20 laps for me, then I'll cut my time down about 1 second.

• Try on "populated days" : Like today (Memorial Day), Double XP weeks, sales, weekends

• There are newer players! My modspot was filled with level 1-5s!

• Don't give up!! Keep trying! I would be very upset if I don't get the Hotlap trophy tomorrow, but the desire to get it is larger!