Mirror's Edge 2 cancelled [Update: Mirror's Edge reboot announced]

Looks like hopes for a solid follow-up are going to be dashed...

Mirror's Edge 2 cancelled | bit-gamer.net

There were some frustrating things about Mirror's Edge, but it was refreshing to see a totally new IP come down the pike when it did. I really liked the first game and I was looking forward to seeing where the devs were going to go for a sequel. Oh well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a long time since the first game so I figured a sequel had been either cancelled or delayed.

It's shame I really enjoyed the first game, the story was poor but the control and style were impressive. I guess the sales weren't stong enough to warrant a sequel.

I still need to finish the speed runs and get the (P) in Mirror's Edge as well :p

Such a shame. I think everyone agrees that the gameplay was awesome and refreshing as it is fairly unique (as far as i'm aware). The only real let down was the story and how short it was. I think if they'd had a better story and possibly nicer times on speed runs and time trials (coz i suck lol) then this would have been far more succesful. I only paid £10 for this game which i think is reasonable. I don't think i'd have paid more than £25 for it as it's too short. So there's not much they'd really have to change overall to make it work. Let's hope they do so.

I guess that Frostbite engine (or whatever engines they wanna use) aren't good enough for ME2...

They have spend a lot time & resources to promote this game though(releasing official soundtracks, put cameo on Sims, make comic books, make 2d game), to abandon like is kinda sad.

The game is good, but the price is too much for a short and crappy storyline...

I have a little insight. Take it as you wish. A buddy of mine works for EA and helped create the first Mirrors Edge. Iv'e talked to him about the sequel and he said that there are quite a few cancellations going on at the moment simply due to the budget cut that they took. He said they are still taking 'a shot in the dark' with the sequel though and fans of the game shouldn't give up hope. They are just taking a break at the moment. He said that most of the EA team are working on their titles that they know will sell first. The developers themselves know that there are quite a few die hard Mirrors Edge fans out there. With that, I wouldn't say ME2 is quite out of the question!!

I have a little insight. Take it as you wish. A buddy of mine works for EA and helped create the first Mirrors Edge. Iv'e talked to him about the sequel and he said that there are quite a few cancellations going on at the moment simply due to the budget cut that they took. He said they are still taking 'a shot in the dark' with the sequel though and fans of the game shouldn't give up hope. They are just taking a break at the moment. He said that most of the EA team are working on their titles that they know will sell first. The developers themselves know that there are quite a few die hard Mirrors Edge fans out there. With that, I wouldn't say ME2 is quite out of the question!!

Budget cuts so after Madden 12 comes out they can get back too it? Really after a football game EA should be the last company in the world to talk about budget cuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be all over the sequel if it gets made.

Am actually thinking of buying a stationary PC, cos I heard that you can build your own Time Trial levels and download others on the PC version, LBP style (but when I think about it, maybe that's just the hackers...where was it again I read about that?) anyways, a sequel or more games of the same caliber are guaranteed buys in my book.

They should have made the Matrix games in this style, would have fit so well with the movies, and a FP Prince of Perisa...

Yep, I read this too. I wouldn't say it's completely cancelled, I'd just say it's on a shelf right now.

Do you really think they might return to the project one day? It would be amazing if they do; I mean as good as Mirror's Edge was, it still had so much room for improvement and a sequel could do much more.

• 3 months later...
When asked for an update on the future of the IP, Soderlund told us: “Mirror’s Edge was a risky move. It was a bold move, a very innovative and inspiring move. The game wasn’t perfect by any means. We would have liked the game to sell better even though the game has sold better than most people think.”

He added: “You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure. It’s just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it and I’m excited about what we do.”

EA confirms ‘small team’ working on Mirror’s Edge 2 - Mirror's Edge for PS3 News

During 2011 E3, maybe there'll be ME2 afterall...

Edited by ntahla

what that news was prior e3, at e3 they said they gonna look into making it.

I loved Mirror’s Edge and what we did with Mirror’s Edge," said Söderlund. "We have not abandoned the franchise and we're working on something, but I’m not willing to talk more about that."

sounds like they need more ideas, but i say keep the same game just make it longer, coop, multipaths thats it

The E3 news was dated 2009, lol. Look at the date it was posted!

Oops, I thought it is 2011, this is the 2011 one...

Mirror’s Edge 2 to be powered by Frostbite 2?

The interview:

Electronic Arts Video Game, E3 2011: Frank Gibeau Interview | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

It's towards the end of the interview, but I do think that he doesn't look so serious abt ME2, but the interviewer(he asked twice I think) and DICE are surely...

Edited by ntahla