XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
steviej

Awards Showcase Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   1,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrastas View Post
I tell you what, these are a bit easier if you've gotten the 50 star trophy for the time trials. I did Chapter 4 in 3 tries. Granted, it's an easier chapter, but my skills are so much better after working the time trials.
That about the best tip anyone can give... do the time trials before the speedruns.

steviej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
Liquidd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Anyone who actually likes the speed runs must be a masochist. I only did them because I got the idea stuck in my head that I was going to get to platinum no matter what. I did, but I nearly snapped my controller in half a few times doing it.
I like them, and time trials, too. They really boost the idea of the game. Sure, sometimes it might get frustrating trying the same part again and again but in the end when you get it, it's fun.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #23
sunnygrg

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   A+ Thread Award   Guide Supplement Bronze   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 2 - Top 20 Individuals   Community Gaming Event Gold   5,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

I feel your pain.

Speedruns and time trials as trophies are freaking annoying.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
Ixahinon

I'm the exact opposet...Though I haven't done the speedruns yet, they don't look that mind boggling. After playing the official game 2 or three times, I feel aqquanted enough to do this...coupled with a few shortcuts I might see on videos.

It's the Time Trials that can go to hell. Some of the jumps required from you are just mind boggling. Like jumping from a platform and landing on a single exposed pipe? (Playground 3 from the beginning)

Or wall jumping on to the lockers, then to the second landing of steps, then wall jump to the wall, climb up it, and back flip to the next landing? All with litereally standing speed? (Or maybe jogging speed at best.) That's incredably hard.

I've always been a long distance man myself. Give me a speedrun any day. 9-11 minutes to complete something offers a little more room for error. Sprinting something requires precision, and if you fuck up even the tiniest bit (A stumble here, or a slow down in speed there) you are fucked. At least in Speedruns, you can afford a stumble, or even a death, and still make it on time.

I will admit though, once you finally do it right, it is rather pretty. It's a shame there isn't a reply button so you can sit back and watch the fluidity of your success without the stress of concentration on button timing.

Last edited by Ixahinon; 01-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Ixahinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
Vyrastas
Administrator

Awards Showcase Vy's Glow in the Dark Role Playing Mix   Staff - Administrator   Bright Idea!   Helping Hand   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   Guide Supplement Bronze   10,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Gold Submission
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixahinon View Post
I'm the exact opposet...Though I haven't done the speedruns yet, they don't look that mind boggling. After playing the official game 2 or three times, I feel aqquanted enough to do this...coupled with a few shortcuts I might see on videos.

It's the Time Trials that can go to hell. Some of the jumps required from you are just mind boggling. Like jumping from a platform and landing on a single exposed pipe? (Playground 3 from the beginning)

Or wall jumping on to the lockers, then to the second landing of steps, then wall jump to the wall, climb up it, and back flip to the next landing? All with litereally standing speed? (Or maybe jogging speed at best.) That's incredably hard.

I've always been a long distance man myself. Give me a speedrun any day. 9-11 minutes to complete something offers a little more room for error. Sprinting something requires precision, and if you fuck up even the tiniest bit (A stumble here, or a slow down in speed there) you are fucked. At least in Speedruns, you can afford a stumble, or even a death, and still make it on time.

I will admit though, once you finally do it right, it is rather pretty. It's a shame there isn't a reply button so you can sit back and watch the fluidity of your success without the stress of concentration on button timing.
Yes, the time trials are infinitely frustrating, but the good thing is that you don't have to 3 star them all to get the 50 stars trophy. So you get some leeway in a different sort of way in that you don't have to be perfect to complete these for the platinum.

I think doing the time trials first is extremely beneficial because the trials are all sections of the regular levels and you can use many of the same routes for your speedruns - it gets you familiar with many sections and makes the speedruns a bit easier in the end. Plus, finishing out the hard stuff first makes the home stretch much easier.

I need to get back into this and finish the last few speedruns I need for platinum. I got distracted by a few games... I hope my skills haven't suffered.

Vyrastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
AlterEgo76

I just picked this game up for 5 and can say it's quite likely the single most frustrating game I've ever played. I've cursed and sworn countless times. I've wanted to snap the controller in half and I've been pretty close to throwing it at the TV.

Such an unforgiving game.... I reckon I'm going to send this game to someone I really hate...
AlterEgo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
TriangleOffense

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

I loved this game and had it on release but I still have yet to go back and even consider doing the speed runs TWICE i got to the end of chapter 2 in just a few seconds over 8 min and I literally broke down and snapped i love this game but FU Dice

TriangleOffense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #28
Onitsuka

This game is freaking cheat I swear you. I gave up on this ridiculous speedruns after I tried chapter 2 for like 30 times... Goddamn.. World At War : Veteran & Batman challenges were way easier than this piece of garbage time shit challenges...Ahh, that felt good.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
ashleyac

Do you expect every trophy to be handed to you on a plate? It was frustrating some times going for plat on this, but so rewarding. Probably in my top three plats i've ever achieved.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Heir Apparent

Eh, most of the runs give you more than enough margin for error. Only a few of them were tight.