review ?

blevensp1

I have contradicted myself countless times about this game. In my PSN comment I had "MINDJACK SUCKS", but at the same time I still played the game. Once you get pass that it’s just a shooter and it will get repetitive in the way that most shooters get. You shoot this and shoot that to get to the next stage. This game blends a little of Resident Evil 5 without the zombies but with the multiple types of enemies and machines to battle against. The feel and look of Armored Core since they have the massive machine battles.

The online is an added feature that works great when you put aside those trophies are not that important and having a random person hack your game and put you in this massive battle, that is where the real challenge comes from. Hacking into other people's games doesn't get old, whether you join their team or the opposing team. While the online is purely just single player again, if you can get or find a match with 3-6 people the game will get good, because there are times where you can get an endless battle with foot soldiers(red) and the main characters, citizens and any mind hacked enemies(blue).

The problems with the game for the PS3 are the frames per second; the game tends to slow down when there are multiple enemies and hackers in the same area. There are the minor screen tearing and the lip syncing is off, but I used the subtitles no reason to look at their lips. The combat system could have used some work for sure, I mean if I want to grab an enemy I shouldn't go pass him and have him stuck in one place because the game decided to act up. The controllers need some getting used to but once you learn it’s no problem.

The pros are the hacking of the different enemies; the Gorilla, seen a few times in the game but once you find him it’s fun to knock an enemy on its feet. The swarmer the little monkey with a gun on its back is great to use too. Then you got the random foot soldiers you can mind slave and hack.

If you are expecting over the top graphics then this is not the game for you. The story is there, you just have to pay attention and listen to what is going on, you learn more about what has happened in the later chapters.

IGN was spot on about not being able to save the game; if you have to go to the bathroom or get something to drink/eat you have to do it during a section where there are no enemies present. The game also saves after you die or complete a scene, there is no manual save. They give you a countdown screen just to continue, which is bad in its one way, but it’s not like you start in the middle of a gun fight so it’s not the end of the world. I still give it a 6 to say the least.

Yea the enemies can take a lot of shots and some battles are just about killing all the foot soldiers to continue, but I still enjoyed it. While I said 60 dollars is not a great deal I took a chance, I'm glad I did! 40-50 dollars to tell the truth would have been a good starting point foe the game.

The concept is great, but the game should have been done by a better Dev. Bioware perhaps. IGN didn't give the game a chance.

Edited by GODCHILD1020

The game isn't perfect, but it is not as bad as reviews or people say. The reviews are too tied up with other things and wanted to dismiss it quickly, and the gamers talking about it negatively are mostly validating themselves out of buying it because their money was going towards LBP2/ME2/DS2 or something else. If it's not AAA, talked about by everyone and hyped up for months, these kinds of people will dismiss a game like this without even seeing a few screenshots.

I'd say it's a decent 6 to high 7/low 8 out of 10 game. The graphics aren't perfect, the music isn't mindblowing but it is decent, it's the concept and mix with the online that makes this stand out. The concept is very fun and addicting, and it's definitely a breath of fresh air. It combines Demon Souls' "invasion" mechanic with a third person shooter. The gameplay mechanics are mostly pretty tight and nothing to complain about. You can jump in your own game or someone else's to help them (blue hacker) or try to stop them (red hacker). The ability to "hack" into virtually anything (mechs, enemy soldiers, etc) is also fun. The shooting mechanics are standard but they work and aren't broken, the only "broken" thing being the melee system (initiating it mostly, and how it takes 2-3 melee combos to take down an enemy from full HP), but otherwise it's fine. The mix of this standard TPS with the online instant-join and drop mechanic and "hacking" into anything is what makes it a little different.

The reason you can't pause (a complaint of IGN's) is because you are online the whole time and your game is join-able...can you pause the action when you're in a match of Call of Duty? No.

I really don't understand the people/reviewers complaining about "bullet sponge" shit either. A well-placed headshot (pistol) on any standard foot solider enemy will take them out for me, and a small burst from assault rifles in the head area does it too. Are they complaining about the astronaut-looking guys? You're supposed to shoot their weak point (backpack). Same for other large enemies. I really do think a lot of them are complaining about stuff like that and missing the point. Just like I mentioned before, quick to dismiss the game so they can move on to something else and validate themselves out of a purchase.

I find I can play this for hours doing a mix of those things, while most mainstream shooters I can't play for long. Here is a game that really mixes single player with multiplayer in a fresh concept, and it will be ignored by most because of the mix of the two reasons in my first paragraph.

Edited by zeociko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to agree with most of what Joe says, I would include that there are several animations that is way short. Like when AI is hiding, and lifts their head up, it's like one or two frames of animation. POP there their heads are!

2nd boss, as Joe shows, it just like what he showed. It's basically 3 ninjas running around insane fast, hiding all the time and throws flash grenades at you. They barely ever pick up their gun to shoot at you, but you should not attack them head on with some kicks, as their kicks are 1hit KO, though they jump and then it takes 1 or 2 seconds and THEN you die! :\ Most of the bosses are just that you need to take out some dude in space suit to take their rocket launcher and then shoot it at the boss :s I don't know why they wear spacesuits, but they can take way more damage, and yeah, they usually have rocket launcher or shotguns, so they are pretty lethal. Usually you don't get to kill the bosses, some run off...

The AI is extremely dumb, not only do they stand in the middle of the road, but when they do hide, they hide so you pretty much always can still hit them, even headshot them.

If you don't zoom, every automatic weapon just doesn't work, as you can stand right in front of them and shoot them for a couple of minutes before they finally die. A normal handgun on the other hand, which is what you start with on every level, because it always reset your guns and grenades etc, so you got to pick up new ones, has a pretty impressive hitratio without zoom in comparison. Not a big problem, just kinda annoying having to zoom every time you want to shoot. Hard to see around you at the same time.

The AI as opponents has a very good hit ratio, at least compared to when the AI is on your team, as then they have hopeless hit ratio, and they usually run straight up at the opponents to pretty much die. The normal opponents pretty much never run up at you, but there are some that does, especially robots, and the worst kind is those which shoots missiles at you, which will pretty much 1hit KO you. They take a while to kill too, so imagine when you have spent 10minutes on a level, and then at the very end, two of these things comes up at you. Yup, you are pretty much dead, and you have to start over again from the beginning of the level. Fortunately most levels are short, but that makes the reset weapon "feature" very annoying.

The mindjacking is kind of crap, since it takes way too long, but that isn't the main problem with it, it is that I never dare to do it, because the AI that will control my main character sucks big time. He will run straight up at the opponents and have a crappy aim, yup he will die, and then the other main character will run to where the dead main character is to try to heal, but if one of them died there, the other will surely die too! >_<

If you look at the video Joe points out this one doc that doesn't make sense in what he is saying, you will laugh even harder ones you see what actually happens to him 100 meter longer down the road... yeah 100 meter is how long it was to the exit.

There is so much random happening in the game, and for the laugh at all the stupidity in this game, it might be worth picking up for cheap. The game is playable, and you won't be too annoyed about all the bugs and bad programming.

Edited by MMDE

The AI is extremely dumb, not only do they stand in the middle of the road, but when they do hide, they hide so you pretty much always can still hit them, even headshot them.

The AI as opponents has a very good hit ratio, at least compared to when the AI is on your team, as then they have hopeless hit ratio, and they usually run straight up at the opponents to pretty much die. The normal opponents pretty much never run up at you, but there are some that does, especially robots, and the worst kind is those which shoots missiles at you, which will pretty much 1hit KO you. They take a while to kill too, so imagine when you have spent 10minutes on a level, and then at the very end, two of these things comes up at you. Yup, you are pretty much dead, and you have to start over again from the beginning of the level. Fortunately most levels are short, but that makes the reset weapon "feature" very annoying.

These two points were my favourites. Your AI teammates are useless, absolutely useless. It would have been much better to be able to play splitscreen co-op with a second controller.

In addition, the acting and storyline was ridiculous. I had not been so bored and fulfilled at the end of a game, ever!

Whilst the idea and concept of 'mindjacking' was kind of cool, the execution of the game was downright terrible.