Military Madness: Nectaris

Just curious

• 5 months later...

I had no idea that there was a board for this game.

I played MM on the TG16 quite a bit when I was younger. It is up there in my top 5 favorite games of all time. This newly rebooted version changes quite a few things with the game flow and pace. Mostly, some of the glitches from the old game (Giants on 20% were invulnerable) are no longer in place.

I have beaten the Advanced campaign but it was not in 1 run like I thought it would be. Making a bunch of assumptions of what would happen lead to me getting my butt kicked. The AI is more devious/vicious than it was in the original game,... almost like it smells blood in the water.

You have to figure out the target priority list for this new AI and then exploit it. Leaving your success up to the RnG is going to be a losing proposition.

Polars, Giants and Grizzlies all give far more benefit as defensive support to anything lined up with them than before. Terrain seems to have been cut back in its effectiveness to defend you. Lynx are far ore powerful than they were in the old version and the AI knows how to use them (although it will still park them right in front of things that will kill them).

There are still glitches of course. On some maps you can put a Charlie on a 40% mountain and the AI will run their entire army north into a clump. After seeing that this was there I did not use it but there are other things like this as well.

The main thing in this version of the game is that you have to pick out the priority target list for the AI (seems to depend upon the map and what troops are in play at the time) and then bait the AI in to a trap.

Example: AI has 2 Hunters (even more overpowered now than before) and you want to take them out early. The AI seems to set Hawkeyes pretty high up on the priority list, in some cases above Rabbits and troops. All things being equal I have found that if the Hawkeyes are in range then the AI will attack them pretty often. You can set the Hawkeyes back a bit and put a couple medium level armor guys near it for support (if you surround them with Giants then they most likely will not attack them). When they attack the Hawkeyes, if you survive, then you don't use the Hawkeyes to attack, you use them for surround effect and to boost the damage for other things.

Working the AI like this you can take out fairly tough troops using disposable ones that you do not need. Just don't fall in love with anything you have, the goal is to win not to have all of your pretty shiny things left on the board.