No digital release planned

falconkeeper99

Anyone else think this is nothing short of a gigantic mistake on the developers part? With the nature of these games (meant to get people to dump quarters into the machines), it just makes perfect sense to me for these to be digital so they can be quickly accessed and played for brief spurts of time.

Moderators response to comment #11 here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/06/midway-arcade-origins-play-31-arcade-classics-today-on-ps3

Also (kind of along the same lines).... Yet another wasted pass on the Vita which these would have been perfect for.

Update: got the game as a present, and it is a lot of fun. (still would have preferred digital).

Edited by falconkeeper99

• 1 month later...
I don't think this is a mistake. I worked it out that on disc each game costs just short of 45p. I paid just under 14 quid for my copy. if these where released singular your talking 400msp or £3.60 ish.

I prefer hard copies over digital any day of the week anyway.

i agree, this is the kind of package most gamers would sell on quite quickly once platinumed simply because these games only really appeal to people that played them in the arcades (like myself), but i don't see the average cod kiddy planting money on these as non resellable digital copies

Also judging by sonys complete balls-up of a business plan relating to digital copy prices, i think i'd rather pay £11 for this on disc (which i did) than pay £45 for a crappy digital copy

Retail discs over digital rubbish anyday

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this is a mistake. I worked it out that on disc each game costs just short of 45p. I paid just under 14 quid for my copy. if these where released singular your talking 400msp or £3.60 ish.

I prefer hard copies over digital any day of the week anyway.

Agreed. I hope that Capcom and Taito also put out disc releases in the twilight of the PS3 (like they did on the PS2), particularly Taito (their two games on the PS2 were fantastic).

Agreed. I hope that Capcom and Taito also put out disc releases in the twilight of the PS3 (like they did on the PS2), particularly Taito (their two games on the PS2 were fantastic).

Capcom recently announced the Capcom Arcade Cabinet, it's unclear right now whether it's going to get a disc release or not, but the basic gist of it is, capcom are releasing all their old 8-16bit games onto a virtual arcade cabinet app via ps3 and xbox, so i imagine it might be like a subscription thing where you can pay a lump sum for them all or just buy the ones you want, i don't know.

What i do hope is, it also gets a disc release, but either way... GHOULS AND GHOSTS!!!

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/11/capcom-arcade-cabinet-ps3-xbox-360-app-western-release-confirmed/

Edited by Fragpuss

Capcom recently announced the Capcom Arcade Cabinet, it's unclear right now whether it's going to get a disc release or not, but the basic gist of it is, capcom are releasing all their old 8-16bit games onto a virtual arcade cabinet app via ps3 and xbox, so i imagine it might be like a subscription thing where you can pay a lump sum for them all or just buy the ones you want, i don't know.

What i do hope is, it also gets a disc release, but either way... GHOULS AND GHOSTS!!!

Capcom Arcade Cabinet PS3 & Xbox 360 app: Western release confirmed | VG247

That's pretty awesome. While I still really like some of the midway games (Robotron, Smash TV/Total Carnage), others have really aged poorly (Defender, Gauntlet), and some are just bad (Pit Fighter, Spy Hunter 2). I bought both of the Capcom disc games for the PS2, and those games still play well today (even early shooters are OK). I do hope they are in disc format at some point, though - they tend to overcharge for individual releases.

I still would like to see an update on the Taito collection, though.