Metro: Last Light - Collectible Guide (Diary Notes and Musical Instruments)

Harry94_

http://i.imgur.com/3Tzxk7i.png

Credit to GlennThomas for the banner.

Hidden Diary Notes

There is a total of 43 collectibles in Metro Last Light. Collecting them all will reward you with the 'Published' trophy / achievement. None of them are missable, you can go back and clear any of the ones you missed via Chapter Select. Also as soon as you pick one up it saves so you don't need to go back and try and pick it up again if you die as it won't be there. There is a very long delay on the PS3 for the trophy to unlock so don't worry about it taking a while after picking up the last one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGCkicPQz4]Metro: Last Light - All Diary Note Locations (Published Trophy / Achievement Guide) - YouTube[/ame]

Chapter 1 - Sparta

#1: After leaving the room in which you are talking about the dark one you will see Anna enter the elevator in front of you. The Diary Note is to the right of the elevator door on a chair.

Chapter 2 - Ashes

#2: To continue with the Chapter, Anna tells you to put on your Gas Mask and go up the ladder to reach the surface. Instead of doing this, go past Anna and through the cobwebs. The Diary Note is in the back left hand corner behind the cobwebs.

Chapter 3 - Pavel

#3: This Note is when you jump down into the area with the man with throwing knifes in his chest pinned against the wall. The Diary Note is directly opposite him on the other side of the room

Chapter 4 - Reich

#4: As soon as the chapter starts Pavel will run up the escalators to the right. Instead of following him look directly ahead of you and you will see the 4th diary note on a desk,

Chapter 5 - Separation

#5: After Pavel gets captured you will head into a room filled with enemies. What you want to do is go over to the right side and then head up to the control room by going up the stairs. In this room is the note which is on the control console.

#6: Shortly after the last Note you will come across a man who gets out of his bed and surrenders to you. In this room on a desk is the Diary Note.

Chapter 6 - Facility

#7: At the end of the level up have to use a switch to open a door to reach Pavel. Directly behind the switch is an open door, the Note is in here.

Chapter 7 - Torchlight

#8: After pole vaulting across the gap, you have to climb up a train. On top of the train to the right is a skeleton holding the Diary Note.

#9: Pavel will tell you to find the power supply to activate a door. You will have to travel through a Spiderbug nest in order to reach the power switch. In the spiders nest area there is an area to the left with some skeletons. One of the skeletons is holding the Diary Note.

Chapter 8 - Echoes

#10: As soon as you start the chapter you will be in a bar. The Diary Note is on the bar itself on the left hand side.

#11: Once you reach the cockpit in the plane you will have a flashback of a plane crashing. After the flashback Pavel will be lying on the floor saying something about smoke. The Diary Page is to your left.

Chapter 9 - Bolshoi

#12: You will eventually be blocked by two soldiers at a security checkpoint. The Diary Page is past them on a shelf to the left with some suitcases, you walk right next to it.

#13: Just before entering the theatre via the turnstile there is a bench on the right. The diary page is on this bench.

Chapter 10 - Korbut

This chapter doesn't contain any Diary Notes.

Chapter 11 - Revolution

#14: After exiting the vent you will go through a door and an enemy will walk through a metal detector, which will make a ringing sound as he goes through it. Kill the enemies and head down the stairs (it's possible sneak past all of them if you're careful). The Diary Note is in the room at the bottom of the stairs on a desk.

#15: This one is a little tricky to explain but I'll do my best. You will reach a very large room with a train in the centre, at the very back of this room is a switch that opens a big door. There are 4 enemies in here and also a Diary Note pinned to a notice board.

#16: As part of the Chapter you will have to disable a large fan in order to proceed. The diary page is in the room which turns the fan off.

#17: Immediately after climbing out of the area with the fan you will enter a large room. Climb down the ladder and the table closest to you here will have the Diary Note on.

Chapter 12 - Regina

#18 As you are pushing the train car with Regina you will eventually see a door on the right hand side appear. Head through here and at the very end of the flooded corridor you will find the diary note.

Chapter 13 - Bandits

#19 When you reach the man with his hands tied behind his back, head through the radiated area and you will eventually see a door to your right. The Diary Note is in the right cubicle next to a toilet.

#20: This is in the area where the woman and child were, down the fork on the right hand side near the end of the tunnel. The Diary Note is just past where you saved the woman and child, next to a dead man tied to a chair.

Chapter 14 - Dark Waters

#21 As soon as you start the chapter you will be on a boat. The Diary Note is just behind you in the right hand side corner.

Chapter 15 - Venice

#22: As part of the chapter you have to follow the man you meet in Venice. He will eventually reach a desk and he will sit down. To the right of the desk is the Diary Note.

#23: This Diary Note is located in the strip club. Simply go downstairs and you will see two spiders in a glass box, the Diary Note is just on top of that.

Edited by Terminator
Repalced missing banner.

Chapter 16 - Sundown

#24: This is found in the petrol station in the centre of the swamp. There is a big fuel truck next to it so you can't really miss it. Inside the petrol station you will find the Diary Note on the counter.

Chapter 17 - Nightfall

#25: At the start of the level you will see a building in front of you with the right hand side wall completely demolished. Go up the slab of concrete and walk carefully over to the far room. You will see a trap in front of you and a closed door. Open the door and the diary note is on the floor in front of you.

Chapter 18 - Undercity

This chapter doesn't contain any diary pages.

Chapter 19 - Contagion

#26: When you reach the part with enemies throwing incendiary grenades to burn the place down you want to head upstairs and into the train car. At the end of the car is the diary note.

Chapter 20 - Quarantine

#27: Once you go down the elevator with the officer and doctor, head out the doors and make a sharp right. You will see the diary note on a desk here.

#28: You will eventually reach a subway car with somebody imprisoned inside it, Khan will go left and stand by a door. You want to go right here and you will see the Diary Note on a table.

Chapter 21 - Khan

#29: Just after passing through what the solider says is a "Dead End" you will eventually see Khan inspecting the lower passage area. Don't go down that way yet, instead head through the door directly in front of you to find the Diary Note.

Chapter 22 - The Chase

#30: After you jump to the train holding the dark one you want to keep going forwards until you reach the first train cart. On the right hand side you will see the Diary Note on a box.

Chapter 23 - The Crossing

#31: The little Dark One will mention about wearing clothes and he will go off to find some. This is just before the billboard with the man wearing a suit. Don't head up the stairs that lead to the building, instead go right and the Diary Note will be in a distance near the concrete pillar.

#32: You will eventually reach a section where you are on the ice and you get attacked by a Demon. At the end of the ice section you will see a boat sticking out of the ice. At the bow of this boat is the Note next to a skeleton.

Chapter 24 - Bridge

#33: After the section on the bridge with all the watchmen you will see a large escalator at the end. Don't head up these yet, instead go into the room on the right and the diary note will be on a desk.

Chapter 25 - Depot

#34: You will eventually see the dark one behind some metal bars and you will also be able to see the diary note. Wait for the little Dark One to open the door on your right. Once he has go through the first door on your left and go to the back left corner to see a small gap you can walk through. The Diary Note is on the floor here.

Chapter 26 - The Dead City

#35: As soon as you start the chapter head over to the right hand side of the area you are in and go into the building and up the stairs. You will see a closed door ahead of you. Open it up and behind the red table on a bookcase is the Diary Note.

#36: When you reach the roof there will be a Demon and it will occasionally land to protect it's baby in the nest. In this nest is the Diary Note.

Chapter 27 - Red Square

#37: As soon as the Chapter starts the first hole in the wall will have the Diary Note next to a skeleton.

#38: You will eventually jump down into a large area with stone pillars, you will also see a little Watchman run into a hole to your left. You want to go in this whole and follow the path until you reach a room with a body in a glass case. The Diary Note is on the floor by this glass case.

Chapter 28 - The Garden

#39: After climbing through the small little tunnel you will see some bears in front of you, then a massive bear while growl in front of you. Upon exiting the small tunnel you will see a skeleton to your right. This skeleton is holding the Diary Note.

#40: After the part where you can decide to save the bear from the Watchmen or let it get eaten by the watchmen you will see some stone stairs. At the top of the stairs you will see the diary note on the left and side banister.

Chapter 29 - Polis

#41: After going through the Decontamination Shower you will see the Diary Note on a brown sofa to your right.

Chapter 30 - D6

#42: At the start Miller will be giving a speech to all the Rangers. As soon as he is finished talking, walk over to the right hand side area and the Diary Note is on a desk next to a man.

#43: After you destroy the tank and the Reds retreat you will fall back to the last platform area. There is a Minigun in front of you here. You want to turn around and look in the corner, the final Diary Note is by some ammo crates. The trophy takes forever to pop too, upwards of a minute for me.

Edited by Terminator
Editorial Sweep.

Musical Instruments

There is a total of 17 musical instruments in Metro: Last Light. Playing them all will reward you with the 'Musician' trophy / achievement. Unlike the Diary Notes this will not work in Chapter Select, it has to be done in one playthrough. For this reason, the trophy is MISSABLE. All you have to do is press :square: once on all 17, you don't need to press it multiple times.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeNa3Ij5FB4]Metro: Last Light - All Musical Instrument Locations (Musician Trophy / Achievement Guide) - YouTube[/ame]

Chapter 1 - Sparta

#1: As soon as you start the game you will pick up the compass and the lighter. The Guitar is to the right of you in this room.

#2: From the first one head down the corridor until you see two people playing chess on the right hand side. The instrument (Balalaika) is on the sofa just past them.

Chapter 6 - Facility

#3: At the very start of this chapter you will go around a corner and there will be a large room filled with enemies. As soon as you enter the large room there is an Accordion on the chair to the left.

Chapter 9 - Bolshoi

#4: Near the start you will come across two soldiers blocking your path and a couple on the right with a rat in a cage. The instrument (Balalaika) is leaning on the bench on the right hand side.

#5: After the area with pigs and a drunken man walking towards you, you will be in a bar. The Guitar is on the left hand side of this area leaning against a chair.

#6: Almost immediately after the last one you will walk into a market. The instrument (Balalaika) is on the last stand on the left.

#7 After watching the show and going through the changing room area Pavel will ask you to sit down. Don't sit down, instead look to the right of Pavel to see the instrument (Balalaika) on the floor.

Chapter 11 - Revolution

#8: At the very start you will go down a large set of stairs and end up in a room where the Diary Note was. On the chair behind the desk is the instrument (Balalaika).

#9: This is located in the living quarters which is in the very back of the area with the armoured train. You have to push the switch to open the area. Kill the enemies in here and you will see the Piano in the room with the man doing pull ups.

#10: After clearing out the room directly after the going through the fan you have to go though a narrow corridor. In this corridor is a locker. Open the locker and you will see the Accordion.

Chapter 12 - Regina

#11: As soon as you gain control of Regina you will see a barred up area to your left. Dismount the car and enter this area. In the bedroom filled with cobwebs you will see the Accordion on the floor by the bed.

Chapter 18 - Undercity

#12: As soon as you get out of the bed at the very start the instrument (Balalaika) is to the left of you.

Chapter 19 - Contagion

#13: I advise you watch the video for this chapter as it's a little difficult to explain. As soon as you enter the area and you need to put your Gas Mask on head into the little house area to your right. There is a man with throwing knives in him. To the left of him is a tiny room with the Guitar in it.

#14 Directly after the last one there is a room with a square area in the middle and each of the posts has a burning torch on them. In this square you will find the Guitar.

#15 From where the Diary you want to go along the catwalk just next to the train cart. The Guitar is on a chair at the very end.

Chapter 20 - Quarantine

#16: When you enter the area where a man opens a hole in the door and says you need a permit to enter, this is where the instrument is. Upon being allowed through the door look to the left of the gun merchant to see the Guitar on the floor.

Chapter 26 - The Dead City

#17: The final instrument is where the Piano vision is. After seeing the park vision head into the hole in the floor and then exit back to the surface again. From here turn around and go into the door on your left. Head up the stairs until you find the piano. The vision of the man playing the Piano will appear, once it ends you can play it and the trophy will unlock.

Edited by Harry94_
Editorial Sweep.

Outstanding job Harry! :applause: thanks for this...

There are a bunch of chapters but very short all of them, starting the 16th and missing a few collectibles, but I'm going to follow your text locations now!

And I'm finding some musical instruments randomly (3 so far) but I think I miss some there... so your incomming guide will be very very useful. :D

Well done Harry. Finished my first run only missing three notes despite what I thought was meticulous searching. This will make it an easy cleanup.

UPDATE:

I found an error in the in game diary with the level TORCHLIGHT. My diary entries said I was missing note #2 but in actuality it was the first note. So although Harry's locations are spot on if you're missing #2 in your diary it's probably the first note of the level right when you climb up on the train.

Edited by ZenVan
UPDATE

Well done Harry. Finished my first run only missing three notes despite what I thought was meticulous searching. This will make it an easy cleanup.

UPDATE:

I found an error in the in game diary with the level TORCHLIGHT. My diary entries said I was missing note #2 but in actuality it was the first note. So although Harry's locations are spot on if you're missing #2 in your diary it's probably the first note of the level right when you climb up on the train.

ZenVan, it doesn't matter in which order you pick up the notes, you'll always get Note #1, then Note #2, etc.

That's right. The first 1 you pick up in the chapter will say #1 in your Diary page. I have just listed them here in the order you find them in the chapter :)

ZenVan, it doesn't matter in which order you pick up the notes, you'll always get Note #1, then Note #2, etc.

You guys are right but the only other two I was missing just happened to correspond to the "right" numbers so it seemed like the Torchlight entry was off. Thanks.

I have an important question:

I think that CHAPTER SELECTION doesn't works with musical instrument. Is that correct?

No it doesn't, I tried and didn't get the trophy. So you have to get them all in one playthrough. I got all 17 in my good ending playtrhough though and got the trophy. Guide will be up for it tonight :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you miss one then it's goodbye trophy and you have to start a whole new game from scratch :(. The only possible workaround is if you restart the Chapter you're on the moment you realise you've missed an instrument in it, if you move onto the next Chapter then you will have no choice but to start over :(.