Which One First? - Online, or Story?

In the MGS HD Collection, this game is the only one left I need to platinum. I haven't read up on it too much, but I hear there's online play for this game, and I've never played this game before either. I would like to know a few things. But first, know this.......

Out of passion of being a gamer and trophy hunter, I usually put the story first, then worry about the trophies later. But sometimes if I know the platinum for a game is going to be a bitch (ones that have online trophies), then I take care of the online multiplayer portion of that game first, then hit the story fresh. (Like I did with KZ2 and AC:Brotherhood)

The point I'm getting at is.......does the online-mode for MGS:PW have anything to do with the story? Will it spoil the story for me? Is it ok to play it before the story......would that even be recommended to do? Or do I have to play the story first before I can unlock online play for this game?

Could somebody fill me in on this, tell me what would be the best way to approach this game?

As long as you restrict story progression in the search for online host, you won't have anything spoiled.

I don't understand what that means?:confused:

Is it alright if I just jump straight to the online play? I have a few friends on my friend list that play this game, they will most likely help me out. I just want to know if it's safe first.

If other people have unlocked certain missions and you join their game, then yes you can play online with them, however he was saying that you have the option to restrict online game searches to only those concurrent with your story progression. If you just want to play with friends then do a search for friends only after they have the game room up, or have them send you an invite.

Honestly, play the single-player when you want to see the story, because a lot of times many of us are playing online for certain reasons unrelated to the story and we are sick of sitting through cutscenes. Don't be one of those jerks that makes everyone watch every cutscene all the time, unless of course you have an agreement and are going to co-op with the story included. Otherwise, most people have seen the story and are trying to accomplish other things, so at that point you become a noob wasting time. Especially on the harder ones that need to be repeated. You will find out soon enough later as you try to accomplish things and some online noob holds you up at every cutscene.

If other people have unlocked certain missions and you join their game, then yes you can play online with them, however he was saying that you have the option to restrict online game searches to only those concurrent with your story progression. If you just want to play with friends then do a search for friends only after they have the game room up, or have them send you an invite.

Honestly, play the single-player when you want to see the story, because a lot of times many of us are playing online for certain reasons unrelated to the story and we are sick of sitting through cutscenes. Don't be one of those jerks that makes everyone watch every cutscene all the time, unless of course you have an agreement and are going to co-op with the story included. Otherwise, most people have seen the story and are trying to accomplish other things, so at that point you become a noob wasting time. Especially on the harder ones that need to be repeated. You will find out soon enough later as you try to accomplish things and some online noob holds you up at every cutscene.

Hmmm, I'm beginning to understand a little bit more, but still confused. It sounds to me like this game has a different online mode than KZ2 and AC:Brotherhood. Sounds more like a Co-op than a multiplayer.

I would beat the main ops missions first for fun then focus on getting S or A rank soldiers for ur R&D or any other staff needed to develop better weapons then you can S-rank everything in extra ops and main ops, you can get the online trophies easily if you have a friend, for the 20k camaradiere trophy you can boost it quickly and get like 1500-2000 points per game using the rail-gun/dynamo trick with other friends try looking at the boosting thread

This game has two online modes, Co-op story and Versus matches. I suggest skipping these for the moment and play the story for yourself, get some good gear and get used to the game. You can play Versus matches but you bring equipment from single player, meaning that all those guys with the high tech weapons will demolish you, so best keep away for the time being. Co-op is okay, but you will just get dragged around the map by the pros while they do all the job, because they will obviously know the levels inside out.

So I'd say play single player until you learn the levels and get better gear.

• 1 year later...