What's your best Metal Gear Solid? Next Gen 2, 3 or 4?

For awhile, when i played 4, original release, i thought it was, but with the HD release i played 3 for the first time. Playing that through & through to Plat it, i found that to be the greatest ever, in my opinion. 2 was great, because it wowed us for that time, but then came Raiden. Say no more for that, but of course, 2 was brilliance as well.

So, which one do you think was the best & why.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well MGS3 has always been my favourite MGS game, so in a general sense, that's the victor for me. However in regards to going for the platinum, I enjoyed MGS4 a lot more, as it was a far more involved trophy list. MGS3 pretty much made you collect shit through one playthrough and that was it.

Though for the record, the games for me in order of preference are:

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 > MG > MG2:SS > MGS2

Well MGS3 has always been my favourite MGS game, so in a general sense, that's the victor for me. However in regards to going for the platinum, I enjoyed MGS4 a lot more, as it was a far more involved trophy list. MGS3 pretty much made you collect shit through one playthrough and that was it.

Though for the record, the games for me in order of preference are:

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS4 > MG > MG2:SS > MGS2

Agreed 100%. Same order of personal favorite entries in the MG series as Dark_Raven.

Guess I'm gonna get flammed then 'cos I completly opposite to everyone else.

MGS2 is my fav. I'd happily go back to it now and do a 6th playthrough. I just love it and think it's a masterpiece of a game. MGS3 is at a distant second place, Peacewalker is 3rd place and last would be MGS4.

My main gripe with MGS4 are the Acts. None of them are really all that good tbh. They don't flow very well from a gameplay point of view.

Act 1 is just plain confusing. Unless I use Solid Eye to see if someone is blue or red I never know if it's friend or foe. I'd run out thinking I'm amongst allies only to be shot down and then another time I'd tranq them all only to discover they were allies. The level map is nothing special either.

Act 2 is the best Act imo. It feels more like an MGS game in this act. Tracking Naomi was pretty well done.

After Act 2 it only goes down hill.

Act 3 is possibly the worst MGS experience I've ever had. The entire act is terrible. Trailing some guy and if he sees you, no big deal. If he spots you tranqing guards for him, no big deal. If he gets captured and you free him, he just continues walking as if nothing happened. It's a boring and tedious act with no real gameplay elements. You can literally walk 2 feet behind the guy and he'll never notice you.

Act 4 could've been a lot better. I feel they've wasted a golden opportunity with that Act.

Act 5 is so short you barely even notice it.

Which brings me to the length. The acts are very short.

I dunno, I just don't like the way the game is structured. It just doesn't sit right with me. Everything feels disconnected. It does'nt flow well at all. In MGS2 everything was on track and easy to follow. Disable the bombs, reach the president in the core, save Emma, etc etc. MGS4 lacks proper narrative.

Don't get me wrong it's a good game but underneath all the fancy graphics and epic cutscenes lies a very mediocre game imo.

Interesting responses. I think most agree 3 is the best, as far as the next gen.

I had a PS2 when 3 came out, but was out of work & couldn't buy it. I could only read about it in classics like Gamepro - remember that?! - & hope, until the HD collection was released. I was sort of blown away, while not expecting much. I thought the boss names were wack, but it is a seriously polished & long game.

As for 4, it's great, but it sucks to see Snake looking old & grey, not that old & grey is unusual, but it is nice to see he can still kick serious ass. Also nice to see Raiden is a no nonsense bad-ass.

for me is:

MGS2, MGS4, MGS1 and MGS3.

Me too.

MGS2 is hands down my favorite game of all time. Beating some of those bosses on extreme were sooo tough. VR was brutal in a good way.

MGS4 & 1 are equal in 2nd spot.

Not sure what it is about 3 that i dont enjoy as much as the others. The story is fantastic and the bosses are great. Maybe i just prefer collecting dog tags instead of shooting frogs...

Me too.

MGS2 is hands down my favorite game of all time. Beating some of those bosses on extreme were sooo tough. VR was brutal in a good way.

MGS4 & 1 are equal in 2nd spot.

Not sure what it is about 3 that i dont enjoy as much as the others. The story is fantastic and the bosses are great. Maybe i just prefer collecting dog tags instead of shooting frogs...

This.

This in a nutshell. MGS2 is my favourite because it is practically...

- my favourite selection of characters

- my favourite portion of the storyline

- the best soundtrack of the series

MGS3 was fantastic (never in my life will I say a MGS is bad) but it didn't click with me as much as MGS2 did.

This.

This in a nutshell. MGS2 is my favourite because it is practically...

- my favourite selection of characters

- my favourite portion of the storyline

- the best soundtrack of the series

MGS3 was fantastic (never in my life will I say a MGS is bad) but it didn't click with me as much as MGS2 did.

dont forget best boss battles of the series especially on extreme level :3

btw, Am I the only one who see a big similarity between DMC4 and MGS2?

hmm but thats probably for a diferent thread.

I am going to pick up the HD collection tomorrow, I've seen the playthrough of all 3 in preparation for MGS4. MGS2 just doesn't do it for me, maybe actually playing it will change my mind.

you've never played MGS before? O_O

hope you like it :3

btw, dont ignore the Codec, a lot of people pretend it doenst exits, when in reality it adds a lot to the experience.

AND dont underestimate the "cover system" in MGS2. it helps a lot in alert phases.

I've been involved in this conversation 20 times before. But yea, overall, the MGS series is my favorite gaming series, hands down. Mostly because of the story. And I love how they all tie into one another.

As for how I rank the games, I haven't played Peace Walker, yet (though Ido have the HD Collection), and I haven't played the original Metal Gear games (beside a couple hours). So, between MGS 1-4, here's how I rank them.

MGS3>MGS4>MGS1>MGS2

I think the script in MGS3 was the best of the series, in particular the ending. I also loved the characters and the boss fights, in particular, The End. The End fight is my favorite of the series. As for MGS2, I have it ranked last not because it was bad, but because out of all the games, it was the least greatest.

2, 3, & 4 Because it's a next gen thing. MGS for PSX is my hands down favorite.

MGS for the PS1 is my favourite by far, the bosses, the story, the soundtrack, the dialog, even the credits in that game are awesome (never forget the bear crawling in the snow). The following games have nice moments as well but none ever came close for me. MGS is for me one of the greatest games of all time hands down.