Cig Spray Help

okay, so I'm on my second play through of MGS: 3, and this play through is collecting everything and the no kill run. I have two save files and my main one is right before I'm tortured by volgin and I'm in the cell afterwards. I heard of the infamous cig spray and I tried the method and it worked...almost. during the cut scene instead of getting the cigarettes, snake insisted the guard let snake out and he got mad and left without giving me the cigarettes. I kept trying with the same result each time. eventually I got fed up and I escaped the base no problem and I'm in the sewers, where my 2nd file is. I understand the cig spray is essential for a volgin stamina kill, so that's why I want it. is it something I'm doing wrong, or has anyone else experienced this? the method seems to work for everyone else to try it. if anyone has a answer (or a alternate way to stamina kill volgin) it would be appreciated.

You can stamina kill volgin with the tranq gun or mosin rifle. you just need to use roll and dodge his attacks and shoot him in the back. Also shoot him in the back as he recharges from the power panel. He will deflect all frontal attacks from your weapons.