Need help with tsuchinoko

I've read the guide saying after the torture cutscene all acquired animals and food will be lost, and in order to get platinum a tsuchinoko but be kept inside the inventory when the game finishes.

Problem is, I don't have any Tsuchinoko in my inventory before the torture happened, and after the torture, sorrow river and then reclaiming my gear, I searched around the entire area near the waterfall, even setting mousetraps again to try and catch it, but still I couldn't find any Tsuchinoko.

Do I still have anymore chances to catch another Tsuchinoko?

No. I'm afraid not. I ate the tsuchinoko before reading the whole guide. I didn't know that you needed to hold it in your inventory. I started the whole game again and it didn't took long since that was the only trophy that I need.

I've unlocked the "catch a tsuchinoko" trophy which only requires you to catch it for the 1st time, however I did not save my progress from that point on, instead I load the game back to when I still haven't actually catche it, and moved along with the game in that state.

I'm guessing that means on my 2nd play through I had to hunt for ALL the animals again?

Or will it be the same as Kerotan, where as if you just missed one on your 1st playthrough, you just have to shoot that single one on your next playthrough and trophy unlocks without having to shoot the entire 64 kerotan?

I've read the guide saying after the torture cutscene all acquired animals and food will be lost, and in order to get platinum a tsuchinoko but be kept inside the inventory when the game finishes.

Problem is, I don't have any Tsuchinoko in my inventory before the torture happened, and after the torture, sorrow river and then reclaiming my gear, I searched around the entire area near the waterfall, even setting mousetraps again to try and catch it, but still I couldn't find any Tsuchinoko.

Do I still have anymore chances to catch another Tsuchinoko?

Right after the Sorrow the place with the waterfall, look at the waterfall then look to your right there is a rock and a tree and a thin path going up hill. Walk slowly over to the bottom of the thin path, while your walking slowly over to the thin path look down and you should see a Tsuchinoko wiggling around. This is where i found one without using a trap, i was looking for something else at the time and i eaten the Tsuchinoko hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
No. I'm afraid not. I ate the tsuchinoko before reading the whole guide. I didn't know that you needed to hold it in your inventory. I started the whole game again and it didn't took long since that was the only trophy that I need.

I did the same thing :facepalm: Oh well, I don't mind. Gives me more of a reason to replay the game again. At least it was incredibly tasty :rolleyes:

I think that noone mentioned that in order to get the Tsuchinoko (damn this name) to appear near the waterfall, you must capture it in one of the other areas before the torture scene. It won't appear if you haven't captured it already, so no matter how many mousetraps you set you'll never get it near the waterfall. If you capture it in one of the usual spots, then it will be there waiting to be re-captured.

• 1 month later...
So if I have the Tsuchinoko and lose it during the torture sequence and I finish the game without catching it again I won't get the trophy?

You would already have the trophy for catching the Tsuchinoko. Carrying the Tsuchinoko (while it's alive) to the end of the game is one way to get you the Infinity face paint, which is required for Only Skin Deep.

You don't have to carry it all the way to the end, but the only other way to get the Infinity face paint it by earning the FOXHOUND rank... which is the highest rank in the game; so if you still need the face paint, carrying the Tsuchinoko is the much easier route.

• 4 months later...
I am a little confused. I have CAPTURED the tsuchinoko and EATEN it before the torture scene. WILL a tsuchinoko still appear near the waterfall? IF not can I still catch one there using the mousetrap provided that i have captured it before? Its just that I ate it -__-

Unfortunately if you ate the Tsuchinoko it will not be at the Waterfall after you get your gear back. You can try to catch another one before the torture scene, but the best places to catch one are the area before the base just before you fight Ocelot, or where the guide suggests, in the area where you fight The end.

• 9 months later...

Please! Dudes! Can You help me! I walked though Kheapathic's guide, but suddenly have eaten Tsuchinoko right after getting trophy. I didn't known, that I'll have to save it to the end of the game.

So i will need only one trophy about FACE PAINT. That's mean - what should I do? Just start the whole new game and collect all other face paints and SAVE Tsuchinoko until the end of the game? OR! I won't need to find all these face paints again BUT just save Tsuchinoko and get this ULTIMATE FACE PAINT?!

Help me please - I really don't know what to do: to collect all face paints again OR just make fast run for Tsuchinoko Face Paint?

Edited by MisLas

what should I do?

You could reload an old save if you have one.

Face paints carry over when you load a completed game save. So, if you load your completed game save, just go for your missing face paints. Or, if you start a new game, you'll have to collect every face paint again. Regardless, you'll have to catch another Tsuchinoko. Unless ofcourse you can reload an old save where Tsuchinoko is still in your inventory.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Where can I find mousetraps? I'm fighting The End and have one trap.

1. Bolshaya Past Base: Inside the provisions storehouse.

2. Bolshaya Past Base: Inside the east room of the building south of the provisions storehouse. Under the southernmost bed.

3. Graniny Gokri Lab: Inside the last jail cell. B1 East

4. Ponizovje Warehouse: Inside the provisions storeroom.

1. Bolshaya Past Base: Inside the provisions storehouse.

2. Bolshaya Past Base: Inside the east room of the building south of the provisions storehouse. Under the southernmost bed.

3. Graniny Gokri Lab: Inside the last jail cell. B1 East

4. Ponizovje Warehouse: Inside the provisions storeroom.

Awesome, thanks! After The End I'll backtrack and get em.

I don't think you absolutely need to backtrack, one mousetrap should be enough. Just find an area where the tsuchinoko can be found, and kill all the animals so that nothing else can activate the trap.

Tried that numerous times at the forest where you fight The Fear and other places.. I even killed everything (birds and all!)

is the one I used and it took me 3 tries and I finally got him. So relieved.

• 5 months later...
Right after the Sorrow the place with the waterfall, look at the waterfall then look to your right there is a rock and a tree and a thin path going up hill. Walk slowly over to the bottom of the thin path, while your walking slowly over to the thin path look down and you should see a Tsuchinoko wiggling around. This is where i found one without using a trap, i was looking for something else at the time and i eaten the Tsuchinoko hope this helps.

Banacheckfps is my Hero!

For those in my similar situation. I had caught the Tsuchinoko immediately after defeating the Fear. Took less than a minute having placed 3 mousetraps between the log and quicksand (first try). Nowhere in any guide has it been mentioned that YOU NEED TO RECOLLECT YOUR MOUSETRAPS! I simply caught the Tsuchinoko quickly, smiled and moved on through the game.

15 or so saves later I find myself at the waterfall without a mousetrap :confused: - My backpack shows inventory as 0/3.

I had combed the area thoroughly without success; everywhere from the large waterfall back to the Kerotan (with Thermal Goggles & Active Sonar).

To clarify/restate Banacheckfps' tip - From behind the waterfall exit left via the narrow walkway/ledge. You approach the mentioned (in order) rock, tree, path leading left around the tree. I stepped slightly into the water (on my right) and looked behind the tree - Tsuchinoko! I don't even think I used a vision aid. My heart skipped a beat, I swallowed and quickly used the EZ Gun before that ugly little creature could escape my euphoric gaze.