Boss Fights Stamina Kill Guide and no kill tricks

Since there are many sighs about the boss fights, I thought it was a good idea to give a short guide as to how to prepare for and defeat the several bosses while holding a no kill streak.

Important before any boss-fight

Before you meet Eva for the first time, open the locker inside the room where you met Sokolov. Here you'll find thermal goggles which help a great deal for the boss-fights.

Ocelot

Killing Ocelot with a stamina kill is pretty easy. If you have your EZ gun, just keep it pointed on him at all times and keep shooting.

If not, have your Mk. 22, M1911 and stun grenade ready. Hide behind rocks when you don't have a clear view on him. When he's hiding behind rocks, throw some stun grenades at him.

There are also two spots with a hornets nest. Shoot them while he's underneath him to get a couple of easy hits.

The Pain

Right before you enter the area of the boss-fight, there's a branch leading to your right. Follow it to find a shotgun.

As soon as the boss-fight commences, pump a couple of shots in him with your Mk. 22 or EZ gun.

When he throws the items that emit a colored smoke (don't really know what to call them), simply use bug juice.

When he makes a hornet armor, simply equip your shotgun and hit the shield a couple of times. They will dissipate, giving you a clear shot.

When he prepares a grenade, simply shoot it with your shotgun.

When he's protected and starts launching heavier attacks, dive into the water. Sometimes he'll be unprotected when you're under water. You can still hit him while underneath the surface, yet he won't be able to hit you.

Otherwise swim away and go up hidden behind a low rock. Climb up, equip your shotgun, and keep blasting.

Important in Granyni Gorki

Collect both the Cig gas spray and the handkerchief. (lab B1 West)

The Fear

When you first enter the area where you will fight the fear (just before Granyni Gorki), collect some of the poisonous fauna and flora. Being the poison dart frog and fly agaric mushroom.

If you have no chance of collecting them before the boss-fight, there's a trick that worked on the PS. Haven't tried it out yet, but it should work on PS3. Set your time and date settings to three days in the future. This will spoil the food you collected in the wild (except for caged animals of course), making it rotten.

When you start out the fight, immediately equip your thermal goggles. Hit him with your EZ gun or Mk. 22 a couple of times. Go to your weapon list, equip the poisonous and/or rotten food, and throw them on the ground in an area you'll remember. (Starting position works well)

When you've done that, you don't need to start hunting the fear. All you need to do is run around in circles (preferably with your thermal goggles on as to avoid traps) and roll constantly to dodge his bolts.

If you however do spot him, you can of course start shooting him. If you take a little distance and always wear your goggles, you should be able to follow his jumping.

If you loose him, just simply start running around again. His stamina will eventually wear down.

When he's about half-way, he'll start looking for food. The first items he'll go for are the ones you threw on the ground. Be waiting for him, and start shooting and punching him until he's done.

The End

Use your directional mic to locate his first location, and sneak around it. I don't know the exact route, but go through the Western locatiion and track back to your starting location to sneak up on him. When you've gotten close, shoot him in the back with your Mk. 22 or EZ gun.

As soon as you've hit him three times, run back and take a little distance. Equip your thermal goggles, look away from the stun grenade the end throws, then follow him. If you cannot see him, the thermal goggles will always give away his footprints if they were made recently. If you can see him while running, try to hit him. Look in which way the footprints are going, and check on your map to see sniper locations in that area.

Just keep tracking him and sneaking up on him like that and the fight is yours.

The Fury

Switch to black camo, and go to the highest platform you can reach that overlooks all the different paths. (the place you need to be on to hit the kerotan frog) Lie down to keep your camo high constantly. Crawl from path to path to see if you can find him, use thermal goggles to see him more easily.

As soon as you see him, bring out your Mosin Nagant (which you got after beating the End), zoom in on him and fire. As soon as you have fired, unequip your weapon, run to the other end and hide. If you get a clear shot of him while crawling, take it. Otherwise, return to the same platform as before and repeat.

Important for Peacewalker trophy

When you're imprisoned, pick up the food that the guard throws in, and throw it out through the door so the guard can eat it three times. This will unlock a cutscene of Snake befriending the guard, after which he hand snake his cigarettes. These are the cig gas spray cigarettes, making escaping without having to kill much easier.

Volgin

When in the cavern behind the waterfall, collect the glowing mushrooms. When fighting, equip them as weapons and throw them on the ground. They will absorb some of Volgins electrical attack. Equip both your cig gas spray as handkerchiefs and spam him with it.

Important for Peacewalker trophy

During the motorcycle escape, wear Volgins unifrom called Cold War. As long as you aim the communist symbols at the enemy, they will not fire. This makes it much easier to escape the base.

Volgin on Shagohod

When you start, run a little bit back, equip your RPG and wait for Volgin to pass by. Hit his tracks with the RPG, run up behind him, and shoot him with the Mosin Nagant. Take a bit of distance, but not too much, and wait for him to turn around. Then start running in the direction of the Shagohod. When you're too close for Volgin to fire at you, he'll attempt to run you over. Perform a roll at the right time and you'll roll right underneath the shagohod. Hit his tracks with your RPG, hit him with your Mosin Nagint, run towards him, ... Repeat process until he's done.

The Boss

Equip your snow camouflage. Run away and hide in the grass. Switch on your thermal goggles and look around to find her. Once you see her, hit her with your mosing nagant or EZ gun. If she says "found you", hide behind a tree and wait for her to come close. Be ready with a cig gas spray or handkerchief and time it right so you hit her. Otherwise, equip your knife and press the triangle button at the exact right time when she strikes to counter. Hit her with your hands and leg, so she falls. Take your Mk. 22 and hit her three times. Then quickly run away and hide again. Repeat process until finished.

Edited by subbie

• 10 months later...

Thanks for this. I thought snake's stamina had to be full while the boss died in order to get the stamina-kill reward. Didn't realize until the Volgin fist fight trophy that it was having to deplete the boss' stamina. :( At least now on my second play-through I know what to do, haha.

Nice tips. :)

I won't post the videos here as I don't think it's allowed but I did an MGS3 no-kill walkthrough a while ago. It's not the best as it was only for fun but the strategies I use for defeating the Pain, Fear and End in particular work really well.

Nice guide though. It's certainly one of those games where the boss fights are still fun even once you know the secrets behind them. :D

• 1 year later...
There are hover guards in Ponizovje South. If I tranquilize one he will crush... and die. Is it count as kill?

Because I already did it and save after that.

No, it won't count as a kill. The guys on the bikes towards the end of the game won't count as kills either as long as you tranq them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Another tip for Volgin:

If you equip the Raikov mask at the beginning of the fight, he will pause for a few seconds and won't attack. You can pull of 2 headshots (3 if you are very fast) with the Mosin by using unequip/equip for an instant reload. That does a pretty big chunk of stamina damage to him, and you can drain the rest of it very quickly by spamming cig spray or handkerchief.

Also, another way for the Fury:

At the very beginning of the fight, if you run up to him and slash him a few times with the knife, he will yell that his suit is ripped. This makes him much weaker to stun grenades. Tossing a few stun grenades and then quick-reloading the Mosin is the fastest way I've found of beating him.