Markhor Guide

MARKHOR RANK GUIDE

By ZOLANTON

*NOTE*: This guide is not to posted anywhere else without the author’s permission.

Difficulty: Any you like: Very Easy/Easy/Normal/Hard/Extreme

Requirements: Capture all the types of plants and animals and non animal-plant item (RC Mate, Noodles, etc.)

General Tips:

• Thermal Goggles and Motion Sensor are your best friends in finding every plant and animal. You get the Goggles in the third area of the Virtuous Mission Dremuchij North. Go to the right of the exit in the area with tall grass. Crawl inside the log. Then after the GRU fight, in the room Sokolov was first found in and then during Operation Snake Eater, inside the warehouse after the battle with Pain near some boxes. Use the Motion Sensor literally after every step (not when you are near enemies though). If an enemy or an animal is close they will appear as white dots in the sensor.

• Play on Very Easy so you have the EZ Tranquiliser gun in your inventory. This allows you to put the animals to sleep and capture them quickly. If you want, play on another difficulty. My pal and me played it on Normal and it unlocked just fine. Another good choice are the Stun Grenades.

• You don't need to eat anything you capture but you should because you can keep track of everything you eat in the cure menu. Just hit right or left when looking at your injury list.

• If you die, you must recatch everything you have caught from your final checkpoint.

• You don't have to have in your ending screen the Markhor rank appeared. We had in our screen the title or shooting all 64 Kerotans but since we had captured all the animals/plants, the trophy unlocked just fine.

So first I will list all the animals then the fruits and plants. Finally the guide will contain all the game's locations along with the name of the animal/plant you can find in each one of them.

SNAKES

• Snake A/King Cobra
  • Snake B/Taiwanese
  • Snake C/Thai Cobra
  • Snake D/Coral Snake
  • Snake E/Milk Snake
  • Snake F/Green Tree Python
  • Snake G/Giant Anaconda
  • Snake H/Reticulated Python
  • Snake I/Snake Liquid
  • Snake J/Snake Solid
  • Snake K/Snake Solidus

King Cobra (Snake A)

You can find this during the Operation Snake Eater. You can find at the area called Dremuchij North. Go to the left of the exit in the area with tall grass. You should be able to find one there. I haven't found this one in the Virtuous mission despite being the same location. Another location I found it was during the fight with Ocelot, Bolshaya Past Crevice.

Taiwanese Cobra (Snake B)

After you fight Ocelot, you will fall in the caves. To the very right of the caves (area called Chyornya Peschera Cave Branch) there's a small path. The snake will be there.

Thai Cobra (Snake C)

I have found this in the Krasnogorrje Mountain Base. Right after you enter that area, it will be at the corner to the right as you progress.

Coral Snake (Snake D)

I have found this in three areas. The first was Chyornyj Prud, the area after the second encounter with Ocelot that is a swamp with crocodiles. You can find it before you enter the water. The other was during the fight with Ocelot, Bolshaya Past Crevice. Watch out not to mess it with the Milk Snake. Another area is Sokrovenno South.

Milk Snake (Snake E)

At the same location with Coral Snake (Chyornyj Prud). Watch out since they are almost the same.

Green Tree Python (Snake F)

There are many many areas with this snake. As the name says you can find this on trees. I will list the Dremuchij North, the Rokovoj Bereg (The Boss fight area). There are many more area but I will list only the first and the last area you can find it.

Giant Anaconda (Snake G)

This snake can be found in the very first area of the Virtuous mission Dremuchij South. Right to the north of the tree that your backpack has fallen.

Reticulated Python (Snake H)

Another exceedingly common found snake. I will list only the first area I found it which is the very first area of the Virtuous mission Dremuchij South. You can find this at many many more.

Snake Liquid (Snake I)

These three snakes (that bring the name of the 3 sons of Big Boss conviniently) can be found ONLY in the last area of the game the Rokovoj Bereg (The Boss fight area). There are three logs in that area and each one has one of these snakes.

Snake Solid (Snake J)

See the Snake Liquid

Snake Solidus (Snake K)

See the Snake Liquid

FROGS

• Frog A/Otton Frog
  • Frog B/Tree Frog
  • Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

All the frogs are very commonly found in the Chyornyj Prud area. You can find them in other areas as well but it won't be necessary to post them all.

Otton Frog (Frog A)

You can find alot of them at Chyornyj Prud, the swamp area that EVA opens to you after the second encounter with Ocelot. In the water there are a lot of frogs swimming and this is amongst them.

Tree Frog (Frog B)

Same with Frog A.

Poison Dart Frog (Frog C)

Samw with Frog A. You can also find a lot of them during the fight with the Fear.

BIRDS

• Bird A/Parrot
  • Bird B/White-Rumped Vulture
  • Bird C/Red Avadavat
  • Bird D/Magpie
  • Bird E/Sunda Whistling Thrush

Parrot (Bird A)

This is The End's parrot. There is only one chance to get this bird. If you search very well in the areas where you fight The End you can find that parrot sitting on a log or a ledge. This is also a sign that The End is nearby. Catch it or kill it nonetheless. Thanks to KeyserSoze515 for the following tip. You can find the parrot even if you kill the End.

I took him (The End) out at the early spot and the parrot was perched on the log where it normally would be at the beginning of Sokrovenno South.

White-Rumped Vulture (Bird B)

You can find this vulture in the Krasnogorrje Mountain Base area. There are a lot of them so you won't have a problem catching one. It is too big to catch one live so you will have to kill it.

Red Avadavat (Bird C)

I have found this bird in a few places. It is in the Graniny Gorki Exterior: Outside Walls area. When you first enter the area, there will be a high grass area. The bird is there. Use the Thermal Goggles to see it better. If it flies away keep re-entering the area until you catch it. The other locations are Svyatogornyj South and Groznyj Grad 1F.

Magpie (Bird D)

I found this at the Dremuchij North area during the Virtuous mission. Look at the trees and you will find one sitting to the right of the exit area.

Sunda Whistling Thrush (Bird E)

Another bird that can be found randomly. But I have located this at the same area like above. This is found when you first enter the area. At the first intersection, at the tree. I have also seen it at the Rassvet area when you first meet Ocelot. It can be found either at the top of the building or the red steel bars.

FISH

• Fish A/Bigeye Trevally
  • Fish B/Maroon Shark
  • Fish C/Arowana

Bigeye Trevally (Fish A)

After the fight with the Pain, you will reach a river area called the Ponizovje South. This where you can find it. It is a very small fish so look carefully.

Maroon Shark (Fish B)

This one can be found during the fight with the Pain. There are many many of them in these waters.

Arowana (Fish C)

You first find this one when you reach the swamp area Chyornyj Prud. It can also be found in the areas where you found the other fishes.

Edited by ZOLANTON

OTHER ANIMALS

• Bat/Vampire Bat
  • Crab/Kenyan Mangrove Crab
  • Gavial/Indian Gavial
  • Markhor/Markhor
  • Nest/Baltic Hornet's Nest
  • Rabbit/European Rabbit
  • Rat/Rat
  • Scorpion/Emperor Scorpion
  • Spider/Cobalt Blue Tarantula
  • Squirrel/Japanese Flying Squirrel
  • Tchnko/Tsuchinoko

Vampire Bat

Found in the caves after the fight with Ocelot. You seriously can’t miss them.

Kenyan Mangrove Crab

You can find these the instant you fall in the caves after your fight with Ocelot. Use your Motion Sensor to spot them easily.

Indian Gavial

These are the crocodile-like repltiles. You can find them in the second area in the Virtuous Mission in the swamp (you can’t really miss them) as well as in the Chyornyj Prud area which is another swamp.

Markhor

This is a goat. You can find plenty of these at the areas where you fight with the End. You can’t capture one alive so you will have to kill it. You can also find one at the area after the fight with The Sorrow.

Baltic Hornet's Nest

Since a Hornet’s nest is full of Hornets (obviously) I though of putting this in this section. You can find them in a lot of locations but the first one is during the Virtuous Mission where you can actually see one during a cutscene (Dolinovodno). Another area is during your fight with Ocelot.

European Rabbit

I have found this at the Fear’s and Ocelot’s areas. You can surely find one in the Bolshaya Past Crevice area.

Rat

Many places where you can find one. In your cell after you have been captured there is always one. Hide in different places and you will find a lot of them.

Emperor Scorpion

There are a lot of scorpions in the Krasnogorrje Mountain Base area. You can find them literally everywhere. Use the motion sensor and you will find a lot.

Cobalt Blue Tarantula

You can find this spider in a lot of areas. Krasnogorrje Mountain Base, the house where you meet with EVA in the same area and Ponizovje Warehouse: Exterior are some of these areas.

Japanese Flying Squirrel

This can be a hard to find but luckily there are two confirmed areas. The first is at the very first area of the Snake Eater mission. You can see one if you look at the trees. The other is the Graniny Gorki South, but before you face the Fear.

Tsuchinoko

The mythical serpent. This is the hardest animal to find in the game. Why? Because you can’t see it lying anywhere. You need to catch it by placing Mouse Traps. I have catched one after many tried in two areas. The first is the area where you kill the Fear. The other is the area after the fight with The Sorrow. Start placing Mouse Traps all over the area and then get out of that area. Return and check your traps. With some luck you will have catched one. If not rinse and repeat.

FRUITS

• Fruit A/Yabloko Moloko
  • Fruit B/Russian False Mango
  • Fruit C/Golova

Yabloko Moloko (Fruit A)

This is a red fruit found that you can find in many areas and firstly at the Dremuchij North. You can go to the northwest part of the map and look at the trees to find some

Russian False Mango (Fruit B)

This is a yellow fruit. You can firstly find these during the Virtous Mission in the Dremuchij South. Just look at the trees and shoot them down to gather them.

Golova (Fruit C)

Another fruit that can be found in the Dremuchij North area during the Virtuous mission. It's on the tree right before the Yabloko Moloko fruit.

OTHER FRUITS

• Vegetable/Vine Melon

Vine Melon

I found this vegetable in the Svytagornyj South area which is the area before the battle with the End commences. It's near a tree after you exit the warehouse.

MUSHROOMS

• Mushroom A/Russian Oyster
  • Mushroom B/Ural Luminescent
  • Mushroom C/Siberian Ink Cap
  • Mushroom D/Fly Agaric
  • Mushroom E/Russian Glow Cap
  • Mushroom F/Spatsa
  • Mushroom G/Baikal Scaly Tooth

Russian Oyster (Mushroom A)

As soon as you start the game go to the log on the left. The Mushroom will be there.

Ural Luminescent (Mushroom B)

Found this at the Svytagornyj West area, right before you fight the End. Go all the way to the left and you will find a muddy place. On a tree near there is this Mushroom.

Siberian Ink Cap (Mushroom C)

You can find this mushroom at many many places including the first area of the game, just where you start from.

Fly Agaric (Mushroom D)

I found this Mushroom in the Graniny Gorki South area BEFORE the battle with The Fear. If you have trouble finding it because it's too dark, use the Thermal Goggles.

Russian Glow Cap (Mushroom E)

This is the mushroom you can find in the caves before and after the battle with The Pain. The area I first found it was Chyornya Peschera Cave Branch. You can also get it after beating the Pain when you are almost at the riverside.

Spatsa (Mushroom F)

After you exit the warehouse to go and fight The End, you will enter an area called Svytagornyj South. This is where you will find this mushroom. It is near the first tree.

Baikal Scaly Tooth (Mushroom G)

Same area like the Spatsa but on another tree.

OTHER FOOD

• C Mate/Calorie Mate
  • Noodles/Instant Noodles
  • Ration/Russian Ration

I have heard that these aren't needed for the rank but I will list them nonetheless.

Calorie Mate

Given to you at the start of the missions.

Instant Noodles

Given to you by EVA after meeting with her on the mountain.

Russian Ration

Can be found in many places and lockers.

MEDICAL PLANTS

These ARE needed for the rank and they will appear in the Cure menu not as plants.

All of them can be found in the same place and that is Svytagornyj South.

Styptic Plant

Svytagornyj South search the area with the Thermal Goggles.

Cold Medicine Plant

I firstly found that on Dremuchij East area. First area of Snake Eater mission.

Disinfectant Plant

Splint Plant

Edited by ZOLANTON

LOCATIONS

Ctrl + F is your friend

This section is still under work. Need to add the rest of the animals/plants and to put them in alphabetical order in each area.

Virtuous Mission

Dremuchij South

Cold Medicine Plant

Disinfectant Plant

Rabbit/European Rabbit

Snake G/Giant Anaconda

Bird D/Magpie

Markhor/Markhor

Snake H/Reticulated Python

Mushroom A/Russian Oyster

Dremuchij Swampland

Nest/Baltic Hornet's Nest

Fruit C/Golova

Gavial/Indian Gavial

Bird D/Magpie

Dremuchij North

Fruit C/Golova

Snake F/Green Tree Python

Bird D/Magpie

Frog A/Otton Frog

Dolinovodno

Rassvet

Rat/Rat

Operation Snake Eater

Dremuchij East

Cold Medicine Plant

Disinfectant Plant

Squirrel/Japanese Flying Squirrel

Frog A/Otton Frog

Dremuchij North

Snake G/Giant Anaconda

Fruit C/Golova

Snake A/King Cobra

Bird D/Magpie

Frog A/Otton Frog

Chyornyj Prud

Fish C/Arowana

Snake D/Coral Snake

Fruit C/Golova

Gavial/Indian Gavial

Snake E/Milk Snake

Frog A/Otton Frog

Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

Bolshaya Past South

Bolshaya Past Base

Rat/Rat

Bolshaya Past Crevice

Snake D/Coral Snake

Rabbit/European Rabbit

Snake A/King Cobra

Chyomaya Peschera Cave Branch

Crab/Kenyan Mangrove Crab

Fish B/Maroon Shark

Frog A/Otton Frog

Rat/Rat

Mushroom E/Russian Glow Cap

Chyomaya Peschera Cave

Fish C/Arowana

Snake G/Giant Anaconda

Fish B/Maroon Shark

Frog A/Otton Frog

Chyomaya Peschera Cave Entrance

Frog A/Otton Frog

Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

Rat/Rat

Fruit B/Russian False Mango

Ponizovje South

Fish C/Arowana

Fish A/Bigeye Trevally

Bird D/Magpie

Fish B/Maroon Shark

Ponizovje West

Fish C/Arowana

Fish A/Bigeye Trevally

Spider/Cobalt Blue Tarantula

Fish B/Maroon Shark

Ponizovje Warehouse: Exterior

Fish A/Bigeye Trevally

Fish B/Maroon Shark

Ponizovje Warehouse

Rat/Rat

Graniny Gorki South

Rabbit/European Rabbit

Mushroom D/Fly Agaric

Squirrel/Japanese Flying Squirrel

Bird D/Magpie

Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

Graniny Gorki Lab Exterior

Cold Medicine Plant

Disinfectant Plant

Snake E/Milk Snake

Rat/Rat

Bird C/Red Avadavat

Graniny Gorky Lab 1F

Graniny Gorky Lab B1 East

Svyatogornyj South

Mushroom G/Baikal Scaly Tooth

Cold Medicine Plant

Disinfectant Plant

Bird D/Magpie

Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

Bird C/Red Avadavat

Svyatogornyj West

Bird D/Magpie

Svyatogornyj East

Rat/Rat

Sokrovenno South

Snake D/Coral Snake

Rabbit/European Rabbit

Fruit C/Golova

Bird D/Magpie

Bird A/Parrot

Sokrovenno West

Snake G/Giant Anaconda

Markhor/Markhor

Frog C/Poison Dart Frog

Sokrovenno North

Rabbit/European Rabbit

Markhor/Markhor

Krasnogorje Tunnel

Frog A/Otton Frog

Rat/Rat

Krasnogorje Mountain Base

Scorpion/Emperor Scorpion

Krasnogorje Mountainside

Krasnogorje Mountaintop

Rat/Rat

Krasnogorje Mountaintop Ruins

Groznyj Grad Underground Tunnel

Rat/Rat

Groznyj Grad 1F

Fish A/Bigeye Trevally

Frog A/Otton Frog

Rat/Rat

Bird C/Red Avadavat

Groznyj Grad Sewers

Rat/Rat

Tikhogomyj

Fish C/Arowana

Fish A/Bigeye Trevally

Cold Medicine Plant

Snake G/Giant Anaconda

Markhor/Markhor

Frog A/Otton Frog

Tikhogomyj: Behind Waterfall

Mushroom D/Fly Agaric

Rat/Rat

Zaozyorje South

Fruit B/Russian False Mango

Zaozyorje North

Cold Medicine Plant

Disinfectant Plant

Fruit C/Golova

Bird D/Magpie

Frog A/Otton Frog

Rokovoj Bereg

Snake I/Snake Liquid

Snake J/Snake Solid

Snake K/Snake Solidus

Edited by ZOLANTON

You're missing three snakes in the last area for the last post. I know they're listed earlier but you might want to add them anyways to the last area.

Snake Solid (Snake J)

Snake Liquid (Snake I)

Snake Solidus (Snake K)

Yes, the last section is still under work. Due to an illness of mine I decided to stop for this noon. I will edit the rest in the afternoon or tomorrow.

Another ace guide :D, I'll be using this when I get my copy next year.

Thank you Termy ;)

Take your time with this as your health is more important :).

:hug:

Edited by ZOLANTON

Yes, the last section is still under work. Due to an illness of mine I decided to stop for this noon. I will edit the rest in the afternoon or tomorrow.

Thank you Termy ;)

:hug:

Sorry, I hope you feel better very soon but don't rush yourself. Being sick sucks. I just thought I'd mention it. The info is in your first post I believe anyways so its not like its a huge deal.

You mention not to kill The End early to get his parrot, but you can kill him and still get the bird. I took him out at the early spot and the parrot was perched on the log where it normally would be at the beginning of Sokrovenno South.

edit: Also, the log in Dremuchij North with the thermal goggles is to the right of the exit.

Edited by Keyser Soze

You mention not to kill The End early to get his parrot, but you can kill him and still get the bird. I took him out at the early spot and the parrot was perched on the log where it normally would be at the beginning of Svyatogornyj South.

edit: Also, the log in Dremuchij North with the thermal goggles is to the right of the exit.

Thank you I will correct them.

Does it matter whether you use lethal or non-lethal methods to catch animals?

No as long as you catch them/eat them you will be fine.

Thank you I will correct them.

No as long as you catch them/eat them you will be fine.

You don't have to eat them. You just have to catch them.

Also wish I would have known I could shoot the frogs and still get both trophies though. Ohh well, looks like another playthrough of one of the greatest games ever made so I can shoot those damn frogs. LOL

Edited by snake2410

It is possible to get all the trophies in one playthrough even the Peace Walker one along with the rest of them. But more on the other trophies soon ;)

Just wish I would have known that before I started. I'd be on Peace Walker or MGS2 sooner. But I'm not complaining, this is and Peace Walker are my two most favorites of this collection so one more playthrough isn't a problem.

Just wish I would have known that before I started. I'd be on Peace Walker or MGS2 sooner. But I'm not complaining, this is and Peace Walker are my two most favorites of this collection so one more playthrough isn't a problem.

lol I know what you mean. I was almost upset I forgot about the Ga-Ko camo and Infinity paint on my second run, but when the "punishment" is another playthrough it's hard to complain. :D

Aw man, I didn't know that you needed to have all of them in your inventory at the end of the game. I'm just about to fight the fear and I don't know if there are any animals I can't get that are from past areas

I think Graniny Gorki South (where you fight The Fear) is your last chance to get the Poison Dart Frog, so get one before you leave. You should also back track to Ponizovje Warehouse: Exterior to get a Maroon Shark. Hopefully you also have your Tsuchinoko by now. You can get one in Graniny Gorki South, but you have a higher chance of trapping something else. I always catch mine in Bolshaya Pass South. You should be able to collect everything later on.

Also you don't need to have everything in your inventory at the end of the game. You don't have room for 48 food items at once. Tranq, catch or shoot them and collect them. From there it doesn't matter if you eat or dispose of them.

Edited by Keyser Soze

I think Graniny Gorki South (where you fight The Fear) is your last chance to get the Poison Dart Frog, so get one before you leave. You should also back track to Ponizovje Warehouse: Exterior to get a Maroon Shark. Hopefully you also have your Tsuchinoko by now. You can get one in Graniny Gorki South, but you have a higher chance of trapping something else. I always catch mine in Bolshaya Pass South. You should be able to collect everything later on.

Also you don't need to have everything in your inventory at the end of the game. You don't have room for 48 food items at once. Tranq, catch or shoot them and collect them. From there it doesn't matter if you eat or dispose of them.

Wait, so if I kill them/eat them I can still get it if I get everything else?

Wait, so if I kill them/eat them I can still get it if I get everything else?

You don't even have to eat them. You just need to shoot them, then collect them. Having the animals/plants in your inventory is all that matters. As soon as you pick them up you can dispose of them and it will still count towards the trophy.

You don't even have to eat them. You just need to shoot them, then collect them. Having the animals/plants in your inventory is all that matters. As soon as you pick them up you can dispose of them and it will still count towards the trophy.

Oh okay, I thought I needed to have them in there at the end. I guess I took one of the comments on needing it in your inventory the wrong way AKA needing it at the end of the game. Cool, I should be good then.