MGS1 Snake Variety

For me, the most difficult thing for me to do is snipe. My aim skills aren't exactly great. I pushed on through with the first 3 for Snake even though they all took me a long time to get. Between the first 3, the first one was probably the hardest and after that it seemed to get easier. Once I did all of those, I made sure that I did everything else before going into MGS1 Snake. This version of Snake I found to be the most annoying especially with the holding up missions. For those of you who have played through it, know what I'm talking.

I continue to push on through it and I make sure I do everything else first before I go to Variety because I know it will probably be the most difficult part and I want to end with that. I look at my save and it says 99.4% done and I got pretty excited about because of how long it took for me to get there. I knew the sniping mission wasn't going to be easy, but as I said above, those missions seemed to be getting easier for me. If only that me knew what future me had in store for him.

I've spent many hours on this and I still can't do it. I've looked at different videos on youtube, read different forums, tried different strategies, nothing worked. It's strange too because I've gotten through the other sniping missions even though I'm not very good at aiming, but this one I can't wrap my head around. I know the last two variety missions won't be easy either, but I know if I can somehow get through this mission, I know I can get this trophy, thus getting me the platinum I've been working really hard to get.

I decided to come here because I've gotten tons of help on trophies throughout a variety of games on here. What I'm asking is, for those of you who were able to get through it, how did you go about it? Did you stay on the top platform the whole time? Did you switch at some point? Whatever you guys can tell me no matter how big or small of a detail you can give me, it would be appreciated. Sorry for the length. I felt like I needed to vent all of that out as I'm sure those of you who have done it can understand my frustration.

(UPDATE)

I finally was able to do it. What ended up getting it for me was I immediately jumped down to the bottom platform. I used my tranquilizer sniper rifle at first. I mainly focused on the mid to up left portion of the map. Once my first pentazemin ran out, I switched to the regular rifle. I started on the left side and eventually just started protecting the box. Being on the lower platform started to get me a better angle of the box. After 5 or 6 tries, I finally got it with plenty of time to spare. The variety missions after that weren't easy by themselves, but much easier for me in comparison. I've never felt more accomplished in getting any other platinum before than once I was finished with this. I literally danced around my room lol

Edited by Assassin485

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late, but I found this useful trick today:

When trying to make a difficult shot, or when you just need a break to secure a strategy, hold either L2 or R2 (the inventory buttons). Doing so will pause without obstructing the view, and it's especialy useful when you're doing the quick reload trick (press R2 fast, then press and hold, release and press)

It may seem redundant, but nobody seems to mention this. It made my tries on all of the sniping missions easier. Hell, I even finished MGS Snake challenge in two tries. Two Tries!

If anyone is still suffering with these challenges, just remember: keep calm and hold R2. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
I know I'm late, but I found this useful trick today:

When trying to make a difficult shot, or when you just need a break to secure a strategy, hold either L2 or R2 (the inventory buttons). Doing so will pause without obstructing the view, and it's especialy useful when you're doing the quick reload trick (press R2 fast, then press and hold, release and press)

It may seem redundant, but nobody seems to mention this. It made my tries on all of the sniping missions easier. Hell, I even finished MGS Snake challenge in two tries. Two Tries!

If anyone is still suffering with these challenges, just remember: keep calm and hold R2. Good luck!

This is exactly what I did when I was playing the sniper variety missions, it became much easier. (It was still hard though)

I've just begun the alternative missions for MGS1 snake, so wish me luck... :D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is exactly what I did when I was playing the sniper variety missions, it became much easier. (It was still hard though)

I've just begun the alternative missions for MGS1 snake, so wish me luck... :D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Good luck! It's hard but with practice it's doable :)

This mission and MGS2 Snake's sniping Variety mission are giving me so much trouble it's not even funny. I've attempted them nearly a hundred times now, and still can't even come close to beating them - I just can't keep track of all the guards. I've tried following the tips and videos available here and elsewhere, but usually I'm lucky to reach 20 kills, never mind 26 or 31. These 2 levels are basically all that's separating me from the Virtually Impossible trophy - I still have a couple of hundred missions to go, but I know I can beat all of them, aside from these two horrors.

I get that they're supposed to be difficult, but this is bordering on unfair! Especially when Raiden only had, what, 7 guards to kill?1 :p