A few tactics for some Extreme Bosses

Today I went from the start to the MG Rays boss battle on extreme and decided to stop for my sanity and, now that I'm here, give some advice that I haven't seen around here or in the FAQs about bosses (since most of them are almost 10 years old)

For Fortune, you've probably heard of the box trick, right? In case you didn't, this is how it works: you equip one of the boxes, go to the bottom of the level, start moving one direction, after "Lady Luck" makes two shots, change direction.

Here's a video, by Pain007Productions:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbPLtscebs]MGS2 HD- Fortune on Extreme Difficulty - YouTube[/ame]

Skiping Fatman (no real strategy here, just use your infinite ammo wig) comes the Harrier, the one I personaly thought was going to be the hardest one. In fact, there's a blindspot! Yup, a specific place where nothing can harm you as long as you stick to the wall while ducking.

It's at around 1:30 of the video, made by GenileTYN:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxqeX_LEI4]Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Collection Extreme Harrier Boss - YouTube[/ame]

I used this spot after the cluster of bombs that destroy half of the top platform (By the way, if you have full health, you can survive it, but you'll be burning, so use a ration to stay alive, word from experience). None of the harrier's attack could hit me: homing missiles, gatling, quick fired missiles, as long as I leaned towards the wall, I was invincible. Use and Abuse!

Now, for the easiest boss: Vamp. Just... look, by Kokoromaster:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbiUMvtPdpA]Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Collection Vamp EXTREME Easy Kill NO DAMAGE - YouTube[/ame]

I've done this 3 times from Normal to Extreme, it's foolproof.

There's a quicker (not easier) way, but this is for the lazy or desperate ones. I think you don't even need the infinite ammo wig, or even the Nikita, but it makes this even easier, don't you think?

Sadly, I have no idea how I defeated the Tengus: died around 20 times total in both encounters. My advice? on the first round, for the first 3 encounters take care of the 2 balcony enemies first on FPV, then use auto-aim (L1) and the M4 to kill the rest and forward. At the end of the hallway, quickly run behind the box on the top-left corner, defend yourself and pray to God that Snake doesn't die.

Now, for the second area, go Rambo. Seriously, your main concern would be not to hit Snake that way, he'll also throw Rations when you need them: try to save them for later though.

You've probably seen that some speedruners put Snake to sleep so he doesn't get killed and then use coolant for an X amount of time at some specific spot, well I'd say don't try this one, it's really really hard to do.

That's all I have. To tell you the truth, I was more concerned about mentioning the Harrier's blindspot that anything else, as Fortune and Vamp are better known tactics. But for some reason Internet believes we all can dodge missiles and gatling gunfire perfectly for like 10 minutes, so I hope this can prove handy for whoever is struggling with Extreme.

Anyway, wish me luck on Rays and Solidus please!

The Harrier blind spot you mention is where I hid when I got the Big Boss rank in this game. Very useful spot.

You did what!? congrats man, that's one helluva accomplishment :applause:

Now, I've finished the whole game on extreme, foolishly believing that the hardest part was over (I. HATE. THE. PSG1).

I don't have any more tactics to share, however, I'm going to add two points:

-Some people say that, during the 20 Metal Gear Rays battle the Chaff grenades are unnecesary. Well, THEY'RE USEFUL! they make the middle Ray's Machine Gun and Knee Homing Missiles slower, which helps a lot more than you think.

For instance, without the grenade's effect, I was attacked almost 10 times by the knee homing missiles before succumbing to them, whereas using the Chaff grenades I was attacked less than five times on the next tries, because the time they take to shoot is 3 times bigger and, as such, they give and invaluable time to shoot them before they do. They made a difference for me, and so they will for you.

However, Chaff grenades do not interrupt their Aerial Homing Missiles (the Rays surrounding the arena use this quite often), and the Jamming sound can cause you to not hear the beeping sound they make, so be more wary of them.

-For Solidus, keep in mind that you start with the same life you've after you survive his choke attack, while on top the Arsenal Gear. This amount is usually in the bleeding area, so if you don't have any rations left (and I can't blame you for that) then you're gonna need to depend on the health regeneration while crouching during the whole fight, plus the body armor if you've it.

For the fight itself, there're patterns that you can use once you know which kind of attack, however describing them will be more troublesome for me that for you to learn them. Don't worry, it was actually my favorite boss fight once I learned those, and to be honest he was a cakewalk after I figured everything (15 deaths later of course, but with so little health to begin with, it's just natural)

Oh, the best thing to do when he shoots the homing missiles from his tentacles? roll towards him: you're granted an invincible frame by doing so, and are closer to attack him. Knowing from which distance to roll and when to do so is the key to beat faster his first form.

What about the second? well, I would dare to say that it's the easiest one, because he removes the tentacles, which can cause some troubles during the first time. Remember: as long as you block his attacks and learn his patterns, you can beat this form even without taking damage!

Well, I don't have to say anything else. If you feel frustrated by this, try the VR missions... the playthrough'll look easy compared to some of them (I. F*CKING. HATE. THE. PSG1, and Meryl, and that box)

Cheers and good luck with the (P). I've Snake Eater after this, so I hope there's a gold pot at the end of the rainbow.

• 1 month later...

To add to some of the OP's tactics:

-I would definitely recommend having the brown wig by this point. The first phase of the Tengu fight was pretty easy. As soon as you can, get behind one of the pillars for cover and quickly tranquilize Snake. As soon as he's knocked, whip out the Nikita and guide the missiles toward the Tengus on the bottom floor. Once they are all taken out, use the stinger to take out any remaining Tengus that are on the top floor. Periodically pump a few tranq darts in Snake to keep him sedated. Repeat this process for the second zone.

For the last two zones, you then have to worry about the katana-weilding Tengus. Again, tranquilize Snake to take him out of the equation. Once he's knocked out, wait for the one's with katanas to come within range of you. Once they are, break out the coolant to stun lock them. Once they're stunned, break out the M4 or AK and quickly kill them. Repeat this until all of the katana-weilding Tengus are dead. After that, just use the previous strategy for the first two zones to clean up any remaining enemies.

-For the second Tengu fight, just stay near the door and shoot any Tengus you can and any that get near you. I found it easier to switch back and forth between my M4 and AK since I don't have to worry about reload times. If you're below half health, it might be advantageous to get your health low enough towards the end of the Tengu battle so that Snake tosses out a ration. Doing this helped me get back a lot of health and helped start the Ray fight without having to worry about being one-shotted.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a few strategies that I used myself thanks to youtube videos and comments

Vamp:

This might be PS3 only but I noticed every time I fired a stringer my game would considerably slow down due to the smoke. You can abuse this bug on vamp and almost kill him right at the start when he bows; equip SP. wig for ammo (or don't if you're confident you have enough), aim at the bastard's feet and just mash stinger missiles at him, your game will slow down to a crawl, but the missiles will keep him stunlocked and damage him with every other shot. Just keep shooting, the explosions might make him move to the right so readjust slowly your aim (you won't see anything through the smoke, but aim below his target box).

I found this out on extreme after getting stuck over an hour on him, his last berserk phase was just so fast. On that difficulty I was able to chain at least a dozen stingers and get him to 20% life right off the bat, on normal and below he died in 4 hits or so, 30 seconds fight

Olga:

Just a quick one for Olga I can't believe I didn't find it sooner than extreme, but you can destroy the light with your M9. I never even tried considering usually M9 can't destroy anything, but it made my life so much easier. Also, wait for her to throw nades, it's a good opening. You can even land shots with auto-target while running.

Ray army

This is just practice and practice, it's tedious but once I found a strategy I found it worked pretty good so i'll share it;

-Off the bat, hit the knee+face combo on front ray, then right ray then again front. This should be enough to get them moving, some like to damage all 3 equally but I hate this phase, they just endlessly barrage you with guided missiles.

-I would always keep the main ray, the one on the platform, stunlocked. It's possible to shoot the side rays while you wait but I found that missing one shot would screw me very hard so I took it safe.

The timing on the ray's recovery is always the same, they moan a bit, then do 2 steps, once you see the 2nd step finished, fire the stinger at the knee, depending on distance they should recover just before the stinger hits or have a bit of time to attack you.

-Position would be way in the back, and always far from the main ray. Being too close risks getting hit with the water jet.

-Once you get the timing really well the main rays should never have a chance to do anything but fire their machine gun a little.

-As soon as main ray's dead, I fired one missile straight to each side rays face, since they all need 3 combos+little extra, this removes the extra. Getting a straight headshot on the main ray can be dangerous because his machine gun attack will block the shot with the shoulder.

-Don't be overzealous, wait patiently for the next ray to jump on as soon as one ray is leaving. The rays always attack very quickly as soon as they jump on the platform, greet them with a stinger to the legs.

-If you get stuck with guided missiles badly timed during the main ray's recovery, play it safe and only go for the knee to stop his attack and dodge the missiles.

-I kept chaff nades up the entire time, in-between rays leaving the platform. I did notice a delay for the tracking of missiles, every bit of help is welcome imo.

For the last two zones, you then have to worry about the katana-weilding Tengus. Again, tranquilize Snake to take him out of the equation. Once he's knocked out, wait for the one's with katanas to come within range of you. Once they are, break out the coolant to stun lock them. Once they're stunned, break out the M4 or AK and quickly kill them. Repeat this until all of the katana-weilding Tengus are dead. After that, just use the previous strategy for the first two zones to clean up any remaining enemies.

This is what I used to tengus also, there's just so many fucking katana tengus snake gets slaughtered, very very helpful strategy

• 1 month later...

Here is a guide that might help anyone struggling with the Tengu, Ray and Solidus, I found it to be very useful at least for me. (For Ray and Solidus watch final part)

I finally finished extreme and got the platinum today (Whew!) thanks to the videos below:

I didn't find the Tengu fight part 2 tip to be that helpful for me so I went Rambo like you did. (Infinite Ammo)

And for Ray and Solidus the tips were good but one thing I like to add is if you have infinite ammo ALWAYS throw chaff grenades as it slows them down and makes their missiles have wonky aim.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xKcwTrMEN0]Metal Gear Solid 2 HD - Extreme Walkthrough [Pt. 5/6] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDzohwW1lw]Metal Gear Solid 2 HD - Extreme Walkthrough [Pt. 6/6] - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by redadude

• 2 months later...

My tips for the final bosses:

Tengu

for the first part, I took my time. Shoot them from a distance, except for the last section (where you cant return). As for the second part, I went Rambo, switching the AK and M4 - as soon as I ran out of ammo, I pressed R2 to switch weapons, and then I had another rifle fully armed. Rinse and repeat (You have to enable "switch to previous" in the menu). I managed to end this part with 2 rations.

Ray

Nothing different from what has been said. I never had a knee missile, because I was always near the Ray. The key here is patience.

One thing I noticed is that sometimes the ray fired the machine gun, and as I ran towards him, he switched for the continuous ray. I died so many times because I stopped as soon as the machine gun ended, just to be killed by the death ray.

Always keep moving! You can also tell when he is going to use the ray because he tilts a little to your side just before activating it.

Solidus

The combo hit, hit, wait and hit for him to defend works like a charm. You should be aware of the following:

a) as soon as he defends, close the distance! If you do not stand very close to him, he will not do the leg attack. He will use his sword instead.

b) you have to be in front of him for he to defend. I knocked him down so many times because of that.

For the second part of the fight, always try to face him. If you are not facing him, you won't be able to block his attacks.

Good luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Harrier trick does not work. You will get hit every now and then, it happens often enough that it will result in an OHKO every time. It's inevitable.

Edit: Okay, after a few more tries, I got lucky enough to not die from the missile barrage, despite staying in the same place each time.

Edited by Sylvester191

• 1 month later...

When the harrier just flies by and shoots a short burst of machine gun fire or missles, the "hanging over the railing" method works best for me, I got hit when I used the "leaning against wall" method, I only used that when the harrier was shooting a 100 rockets and when he was circling with machine guns. I would never get hit by these rockets and machine guns would only hit sometimes if he shot from my left (left shoulder when I was leaning against wall), but that would not happen that often.

I died a couple of times, but once I got the timing down, I defeated it with only having been hit once by the machine guns.

• 2 months later...

Those Rays are a huge pain in the ass

edit: finally beat those Rays. But now I do't have any rations and my health is at the minimum green level. Any tips on surviving the second part of the Solidus fight? I can get past the first stage with his tentacles with "full" health (as in the 30% I have when starting), but he instantly burns me on the second half and I don't have enough room/time to crouch it out to get some hp back

Edited by shichibukai

To avoid burns from Solidus, just learn the 3-4 sword attacks and when he charges you just just make the jump/evade move to right/left.

The trick is see that in the beginning he will charge at you but that move is parryable/blockable, but when he charges at you after move to other places before actually go for you, it is better avoid block because more than once he will hit you in the back or side and if that don¿t hit you, the flames trail will.

This boss is not that hard compared with the Carrier, Fatman o Vamp but you still need to learn his moves and, I neither had any life left because of that choke in the last part.

Good luck.

Well to be honest I just had one try with Solidus for now. Took me a good amount of time to beat his first stage and he instantly killed me during the second stage. I watched the vids beforehand and tried to block his charges but he punched me once (because I was facing the wrong direction), then started burning because of the flames and he didn't give me enough time/room to get my hp back up :(

• 3 years later...

Just beat Extreme difficulty last night and wanted to share how I defeated the bosses.

Fortune - Use the box trick.

Fatman - Use infinite ammo wig. Disarm the first 2 bombs and start shooting at Fatman using L1 + Socom. As long you are quick enough to knock him down with L1 + Socom, you won't give him the chance to place more bombs.

Harrier - Took me an hour to beat the Harrier. I didn't bother with the wall since I still get killed. So it took me awhile to figure out on how to avoid his attacks.

Make sure you have the infinite ammo wig on.

When he disappears and see a flash, quickly fire a shot at him, unequip your stinger and hang over the rail. Going over the rail will make you invincible to his shots.

If you see the flash and he says, "I'll let you go out in style!" Hide behind the tank to avoid the 2 homing missiles after you quickly shoot the stinger instead.

When he yells, "Die!" Make sure you are already down the stairs and under the platform part that doesn't get destroyed.

If you are able to hit him 2 to 3 times at the start when you pick up the stinger, 1 time when he disappear/shows flash when he appear, 3 to 4 times while going around the struts, and 1 last time when he disappear/shows flash in that order. He won't go over you to burn you with the Harrier. Instead he will shoot the bombs that will destroy the platform and say, "Die," so make sure you go down the stairs by then. If you didn't get enough hits, then he will go over you and burn you with the jets.

As for the missiles he fires while going side to side, I found a spot where none of the missiles hit me. I go down the stairs a bit, crouch at the stairs and lean against the rail/platform wall. Make sure Raiden's top of his head is literally under the platform line. Those missiles will not hit him.

When he fires the machine gun, go down the stairs and equip the box. Make sure you stay behind the gray crates in the bottom floor and that you are on the opposite side of the harrier while staying in cover with the box on.

Vamp- Go to the Northeast door, go prone, infinite ammo wig, and use Nikita when he starts to walk towards you.

Tengu Part 1 - First 3 zones, make sure you take out the enemies on the top floor while staying behind cover. The last zone is the hard part since Snake gets killed since he doesn't stay in cover and putting him to sleep didn't help me. I found a glitch though. Make sure you have the infinite ammo wig on and toss a couple of Stun Grenades. Go towards the door & lean against it. While leaning against it, go to first person view, press circle 4 times, and leave first person view and move towards the door quickly. Raiden will glitch through the door and move to the next section of Aresenal Gear.

Tengu Part 2 - There is the coolant glitch, but that didn't work for me. So I just put on the infinite ammo wig, use the M4, and pressed L1 while shooting and running around rambo style. Make sure you don't shoot Snake.

Metal Gear Ray - Toss chaff grenade, shoot twice with stinger, and repeat. The chaff grenade really helps slowing down the knee homing missiles.

Solidus - Most of his moves are blockable. Only moves that aren't blockable is when he lifts both of his katana in the air and when he swipe his tentacles to Raiden's legs. When Solidus does a kick and you block it, counter attack. When he swings his katana multiple times and does a lunge attack with his katana, block them all and then counter attack. Try to stay close to Solidus, that way when he starts firing the missiles from his tentacles, cartwheel towards him that you literally jump over the first 1 or 2 missiles, and slash at him. Missiles will never touch you. You can run off the edge of the roof, but I found I still get hit by the missiles or just don't make it off the roof in time, so the cartwheeling towards him was the best tactic for me not to get hit by them.

Second part of this fight, once he jets away, just stay in the same spot you are in and pressing the block button, but make sure you keep facing Solidus while he is jetting around to block his elbow attack cause he will hit you if you don't face him in time.