Virtually Impossible

Such an apt title for the trophy. Yeah, virtually impossible to get this on your own merits that is. Playing the VR missions is just so painful because it really makes it obvious the game's mechanics are clunky as fuck. When you're playing the game proper it's tolerable because the game tolerates mistakes. When you're tasked with beating a difficult segment without getting spotted at all with limited (if any at all) equipment, life, and time, you'll utterly RUE how handicapped you are. Syphon Filter this ain't (which was my franchise of choice until 2007 or whenever the last game released- didn't play these games until 2008.)

The stealth-based missions are the worst. Many are absolute clusterfucks of patrolling guards, security cameras, and things that will betray your location or outright kill you. It doesn't help that the game constantly changes the rules over what a guard will or won't notice and whether or not he immediately identifies you. Sometimes they'll see you and go "What was that?" and other times they'll go "HOLY SHIT IT'S SOLID SNAKE SOUND THE ALARM!" Rote memorization is the order of the day here as opposed to any reasonable use of skill. It's all just a series of trial and error if you want to beat these by yourself. Try something, see if it gets you discovered, go from there. If you've got the patience for that kind of shit. I don't.

After re-trying one such impossibly daunting stage and being driven to an insatiable desire to drop-kick a baby out a goddamn window, I just hit Youtube and watched as somebody simply followed oblivious guards, sometimes standing literally shoulder-to-shoulder at times waiting for the dumbass to turn away (in the opposite direction), oftentimes never directly interacting with any of them. I can't imagine anybody would have the will to subject themselves to this madness to learn these routes. My motto became this: try to beat what you can; if you come to something that looks complicated, Youtube it. Fuck trial-and-error, these absurd challenges aren't worth my time trying to decipher.

Right now, I've got all beaten except for some MGS Snake ones. Oh how I loathe these. Not only are they harder, you don't even get to use the Solitan Radar. Hey Konami, hate to burst your bubble but MGS Snake had Solitan Radar. Hell, even MG2:SS Snake had a radar. Good god, I thought Snake Tales (or as I call it: Blind Cave Salamander Tales) was bad enough. Playing a 3D game with an extremely limited overhead view makes you realize why the radar was made in the first place: because the game sucks without it. Guards mere feet in front of you might as well be invisible unless you go into first-person view (which means you have to stop, in a situation where constant movement is desirable.) I actually got the impression playing Blind Cave Salamander Tales that some guards were specifically placed just outside your field of vision just to be cheap dicks. The enemy certainly doesn't have to deal with awkward camera angles. I think VR is a little more fair, not that it matters since being spotted means you're probably fucked anyway.

And then some are just harder than they should be be for other bullshit reasons. There's one sniping mission where you don't get any Pentazamine. That means your aim will be all shaky. And I must say, for someone with the reputation of Solid Snake, I'd have thought he'd would be a much better sniper- he's got the shakes worse than a junkie. The scope doesn't just bob, it fucking JERKS abruptly to the degree that sometimes your target isn't even in the scope anymore. Legendary Soldier my ass! This is, of course, all COMPLETELY RANDOM, although Murphy's Law dictates that it usually happens right before you pull the trigger. Nothing like failing because Snake chose the wrong times to go into an epileptic seizure. Not like the player's skill should really be more important, right? Amazingly, this mission is NOT one of MGS Snake's.

But don't worry, he's got his own bullshit: MGS Snake has to do his hold-ups with the fucking M16. Yeah, a weapon that fires when you press the button, not when you release it. It's a pressure-sensitive action... ON A DIGITAL BUTTON. Digital buttons are designed to be binary: 0 or 1. Off or On. Or in this case, Not Pushed or Pushed. Introducing a third state of Somewhat Pushed doesn't work too well when the button has like half a millimeter of give. It would work well on an analog stick or a trigger, or at the very least a button with a deeper hole. The buttons on this controller are literally the WORST possible assignments. Of course, this doesn't really matter in the game proper since if you whip out an assault rifle, it's because you want to spray something full of holes. Who would use one to hold somebody up? Oh wait.

And then realization dawns... This touchy weapon is limited to MGS Snake's missions. This means one thing... KONAMI WENT AND MADE A CHALLENGE THAT REVOLVED AROUND SHITTY CONTROLS TO ARTIFICIALLY INCREASE DIFFICULTY. Wow, fuck you Konami. Really, I mean it. Fuck you. Fuck you and all your poorly thought-out challenges.

I feel better now. Not a lot, but a little. I needed to vent.

Interesting read. Most of these missions you will definitely need videos or you will go insane. The toughest part of these missions for me was protecting the cardboard box as sniper. Took me all day to beat one of them. I was a big fan of the psx metal gear so I had to beat all 4 of these games.

This is not an easy platinum for sure and the game is a test of endurance and patience. This message will self destruct.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

LoL

relax brother , take it easy , i agree with you Vortually impossible trophy is not easy to get , it wouldn't be easy if it was Gold trophy , so Konami repeat Message to The player Community , that message is ......... you Will not succeed without suffering and patience you little freak player! XD

i wish they make the trophies much easier than this , indeed !

Thanks . and yeah (This message will self destruct.) < lool Paradigmatica

it's looks like that we watch Misson Impossible !

- In order to be more accurate , Virtually Impossible trophy is the misson impossible. :o

• 2 months later...

I guess it's a matter of taste. Nobody forces to play any game to anyone ;)

If you don't like it then stick to Syphon Filter and Splinter cell (the first 3 games). They're both good games as well, but they present the spy and infiltration in a different manner.

As for me, I'm glad some games give challenge, even though in this case it's a remaster of an old PS2 game.

It's actually more challenging than most of games of this generation. And I'm qute tired of paying for games that can be solved straight away, some of them even without dying.

And yeah, lot's of missions are trial and error, some of them just require being fast, and well, that's the game.

In the main story, we observe the guards movements, see their routine and then attack them from behind to get their dog tags.

Isn't that observing what they do and move? Well , VR missions require this as well :D

It's hard? it's a pain? Of course!!

what would be the challenge if it didn't require some sacrifice??

It's not Dark Souls though lol

If I wanted an easy game I would go for a Wii Nintendo game. But I'm happy with MGS HD

That's my opinion though :D

Let's keep playing!!

Edited by kyo1chi
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
You know you can click the stick to raise and lower your weapon, right? It's amazingly difficult to do it through pressure, like the original versions were.

I know this is an old thread that may well not receive a reply, but replying here saves having to make a new thread that addresses a topic brought up in this one. Does the above method of clicking the stick actually work? I heard it does work on the Vita, but does it work on PS3 as well? I've tried it several times with both sticks, but no luck so far. Knowing me though, I'm probably too far away or something. Pressing Square even lightly almost always results in firing a shot and immediately failing the mission, which gets very annoying very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

The whole point of these vr missions is to test your skill not hold your hand and give you a free trophy. The VR missions are probably the only "training" challenges that I've in encountered in all of the 20+ years of gaming that I encountered that was actually a challenge. The only other game that tested your wits was the original Devil may Cry 3 on the hardest difficulty.

These V.R. Missions and Dishonored's Dunwall City Trials just piss me off. :2walls: So much so that I have considered giving up trophy hunting - it is just not engaging enough to slog through. Getting BBE in MGS4, while challenging, was fun and left me feeling very satisfied even though it only indirectly unlocks a trophy or two. These two however, with multiple trophies each, don't give that sense of satisfaction even remotely... Or maybe as a gamer I have changed. Hmmm... Something to ponder.

Well anyways that is my two cents on the matter.

Edited by psfanboy123

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost as surprised how long ago I made this topic that it actually got this many replies. Probably since I hadn't played the game since then. I just beat a couple more missions today finally but I think I'll just tell this game to fuck itself.

I have no problem with a game being hard (hell sometimes I relish it; I've beat all the Contra's worth playing without cheating) as long as it's hard for the right reason and not shoddy design. Contra was well-made but the same can't be said for a lot of other infamously difficult NES games (Ninja Gaiden and Ghoul's And Ghosts, looking at you.) And a good deal of challenge in these missions comes from just plain bad design.

The M16 hold ups? I already went over how it's an artificial challenge based on a dodgy control mechanic... but after some research I found it's 100 times easier on other platforms because there's an ACTUAL HOLDUP BUTTON. Left stick click for 360 and something for Vita. But not for PS3 somehow. Why not? There's nothing the stick is used for either. Yeah, it's harder here because they didn't properly port the controls.

That and really, they're more an exercise in memorization than any actual skill. Example: I played a character's sneaking mission and found something that worked. Then I played that character's corresponding (like say: sneaking 1 and eliminate 1) eliminate all mission and found the exact same thing DIDN'T work (or maybe it was the other way around- either way I have a point.) To be specific, I found that if I let someone glimpse me at a distance he would go ? and investigate, whereupon I got behind him and broke his neck. On the other mode the same guard was an eagle eye that would always immediately go ! and it was game over. It's really damn hard to use what you know when you don't know if what you know is actually right in this case, you know?

• 3 weeks later...

I hated this I started when this trilogy came out and I was around 243 missions done and my ps3 hard drive died so I'm lost everything because I didn't renew or back up any of my game saves for months so I started again this April and I've just done it that's how long it took of frustration and stress to get this done never again will I even bother with vr missions ever

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So many posts let it seem literally virtually impossible, or saying IF you should beat it you'll have to sink 70+ hours into it.

Then again, when you check the trophy on psnprofiles.com it isn't actually that rare of a trophy.

This seems very conflicting imo.

How difficult is this trophy really? Considering you're the average tropy hunter who has been playing games all life. I beat the game on extreme but am unsure if I should even start the whole VR act. Any helpful feedback greatly appreciated!

So many posts let it seem literally virtually impossible, or saying IF you should beat it you'll have to sink 70+ hours into it.

Then again, when you check the trophy on psnprofiles.com it isn't actually that rare of a trophy.

How difficult is this trophy really? Considering you're the average tropy hunter who has been playing games all life. I beat the game on extreme but am unsure if I should even start the whole VR act. Any helpful feedback greatly appreciated!

Well the thing about the VR missions is that they really put your skills to the test. All the VR missions are fairly easy minus a few (Raiden's sniping ugggghhhh) until you unlock MGS1 Snake. The difficulty spike is REAL here. Every single VR mission for MGS1 is difficult.

MGS2 is a popular game to hack, apparently it's a simple save manipulation and you don't even need software for it. And then, for some reason, PSNP won't let you report anyone for MGS2 :facepalm: That's why it's so much more common than it really should be.

And then with the Vita version being able to be auto popped with the PS3 version, the Vita version is artifically high too. I don't think I could've done the Vita version without my PS3 save...

Well the thing about the VR missions is that they really put your skills to the test. All the VR missions are fairly easy minus a few (Raiden's sniping ugggghhhh) until you unlock MGS1 Snake. The difficulty spike is REAL here. Every single VR mission for MGS1 is difficult.

MGS2 is a popular game to hack, apparently it's a simple save manipulation and you don't even need software for it. And then, for some reason, PSNP won't let you report anyone for MGS2 :facepalm: That's why it's so much more common than it really should be.

And then with the Vita version being able to be auto popped with the PS3 version, the Vita version is artifically high too. I don't think I could've done the Vita version without my PS3 save...

Alright, thank you very much for your feedback. The hacking thing explains a lot concerning the rarity rate of the trophy.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see how things go. I was quite happy I beat the main game on Extreme and it would be a shame to stop now. Although it seems that the Extreme difficulty playthough's a walk in the park compared to the MGS1 VR missions.

Alright, thank you very much for your feedback. The hacking thing explains a lot concerning the rarity rate of the trophy.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see how things go. I was quite happy I beat the main game on Extreme and it would be a shame to stop now. Although it seems that the Extreme difficulty playthough's a walk in the park compared to the MGS1 VR missions.

Extreme Difficulty is cake compared to those damn VR missions. All of the bosses can be cheesed on Extreme, but there's no shortcuts in VR.

Extreme Difficulty is cake compared to those damn VR missions. All of the bosses can be cheesed on Extreme, but there's no shortcuts in VR.

True, I cheesed the shit out of the Vamp boss fight and the first Tengu Room. Only the Harrier and MG Ray fights were really hard when I think about it because there's no way to exploit the AI afaik.