Little confused about dogtag process

I went through the game on Very Easy to try to get Complete Stealth (Alas I failed because I thought that you could just die and continue in order to not get any alerts). I collected like one or two dog tags though, and the guide says that you need fifty after your second playthrough in the Tanker mission, and he never said to collect them on your initial run, so I'm not sure how he got fifty when the max is like 26 on Easy mode.

Should I play through the game again on Easy to get the dog tags?

Yes, if you plan to get Platinum trophy, you will be forced to run at least 5 playthroughs. Dogtags indeed stack from each playthrough, say in Very Easy Tanker you get 10 dogtags, and another 10 from Easy, thus you have in total 20. Dont expect you gonna plat this any time soon.

• 5 weeks later...

For those of you who have never played it I recommend playing it once on very easy to simply enjoy the game. I started my first ever play through and hunting for tags has soured the experience. This is a stealth game but it has not been so stealthy for me so far what with me lacking the experience and knowledge of previous playthroughs to aid me. I played MGS4 8 times before the trophy patch and that knowledge helped immensely when I got around to to going for the trophies. Just need to play 2 eight times. ;)

Edit: Heading into my 3rd play through and through using guides I have grown comfortable with the game. Knowing how guards behave and their patrols plus having completed over 300 of the VR missions has helped me enjoy the game a lot more and has rinsed some of the distaste caused by the first few hrs of dog tag hunting, from my mouth. I am now pretty cabable of getting the tags stealthily which makes the game much more enjoyable. That being said my pure stealth run was the most enjoyable play through to me.

Edited by psfanboy123

• 2 months later...
Yes, if you plan to get Platinum trophy, you will be forced to run at least 5 playthroughs. Dogtags indeed stack from each playthrough, say in Very Easy Tanker you get 10 dogtags, and another 10 from Easy, thus you have in total 20. Dont expect you gonna plat this any time soon.

IMPORTANT! You'll need 5 playthroughs on the Plant level but only 3 or so on the Tanker in order to get the required amount of dogtags for the items!

• 2 months later...

simple it's like this :-

Tanker has:

- 24 Tags on Very Easy

- 26 Tags on Easy

- 33 Tags on Normal

- 35 Tags on Hard

- 34 Tags on Extreme

Plant has:

- 43 Tags on Very Easy

- 44 Tags on Easy

- 49 Tags on Normal

- 53 Tags on Hard

- 54 Tags on Extreme

Total

- Tanker = 152

- Plant = 243

You need:

- 50 Tags from the Tanker for Snake's Bandana (Yorkie)

- 76 Tags from the Tanker for Snake's Stealth Suit (Poodle)

- 80 Tags from the Plant for Raiden's Brown Wig (Beagle)

- 120 Tags from the Plant for Raiden's Stealth Suit (Shiba Inu)

- 160 Tags from the Plant for Raiden's Orange Wig (St. Bernard)

- 218 Tags from the Plant for Raiden's Blue Wig (Great Dane)

TL;DR

- Tanker has 152 tags, but you only need 76.

- Plant has 243 tags, but you only need 218.

• 7 months later...