MGS Rising Unlikely To Have Many Returning Characters

http://www.connectedconsoles.com/articlecontent/images/MGSR_Screenshot.jpg

By now, Metal Gear Solid fans have deduced the chronological period Rising will take place within the MGS timeline, and hypothesized on the dark, life-changing events in Raiden’s life that took place between his appearances in MGS2 and MGS4. What we could assume as a solo mission of self-preservation and survival has been confirmed by Kojima Productions’ Shigenobu Matsuyama, who reiterated the fact that Raiden’s story will be a completely separate journey from the Metal Gear timeline, and as such, we should not look forward to familiar friends or faces.

Speaking with Games magazine, Matsuyama, Metal Gear Solid: Rising’s creative producer, dismissed concerns of confusing newcomers to the series or weaving more plot strands into the intricate, and beautifully hand-made cashmere sweater that is the MGS series:

“To answer you question about returning characters, we’re probably not going to show too many characters in Rising because, since it’s a new part of a series, we don’t really want to refer to and dwell upon the Metal Gear sago so much.”

“We want newcomers to the game to come in and play freely without needing to know and understand the background of the whole Metal Gear Solid universe.” he continued. “We don’t want to have it all tied up with the story from MGS2 or MGS4 and make it too complicated.”

Rumors have been abound regarding a likely cameo from former series star, Solid Snake, but from the sounds of it, this may very well be the only tie in to the Metal Gear Universe that we’ll see. The jury’s still out on whether or not this is a good thing.

Source: Playstation Lifestyle

• 2 weeks later...

you say metal gear to me and i immediately get a image of snake crouching down to answer the beep beep of the codec lol. I have never really been too keen on the look of this, but i'll try it to see how it is. You would expect there to be a newer "cast" with the storylines of previous games and how they might be looking to change direction.

Edited by donald047

do i need the first 1 for ps3 to understand rising?

No one quite knows yet the story arc to this game and when in then MGS time-line it will take place (though it is speculated and highly likely between 2 & 4), so we can't say for sure yet. I'm going to go assume and say no, however. That being said, I highly recommend, playing all the games, as it is quite possibly the best franchise ever.

if they keep releasing mgs games than it looks like raiden is taking over the franchise.

What makes you say that?

With the release of MGS: Rising, it makes Raiden be the star of two titles, Solid Snake the star of two titles, and Big Boss the star of three titles. If Raiden were to get two other titles based on him, than we can say he has taken over. :p

What makes you say that?

With the release of MGS: Rising, it makes Raiden be the star of two titles, Solid Snake the star of two titles, and Big Boss the star of three titles. If Raiden were to get two other titles based on him, than we can say he has taken over. :p

well if you break it down like that then there will proably be a new character in this game that will have his or even her(which would pretty cool) own tittles.

• 1 month later...

This game makes me think of what Final Fantasy 7 did in giving Vincent his own game, sure there might be some other characters from the series in it but over all it will be about Raiden and what went on with him and his sexy android body.

Though really, dark life changing events? he goes through alot of those doesn't he like being a child solder for one and earning the nick name the ripper.

• 3 weeks later...
With the release of MGS: Rising, it makes Raiden be the star of two titles, Solid Snake the star of two titles, and Big Boss the star of three titles.

So far, the stars were:

MGS 3 - Big Boss

Portable Ops - Big Boss

Peace Walker - Big Boss

Metal Gear - Solid Snake

Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid - Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Raiden

Metal Gear Solid: Rising - Raiden

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Solid Snake

Scores:

Big Boss 3

Solid Snake 4

Raiden 2

• 1 month later...
So far, the stars were:

MGS 3 - Big Boss

Portable Ops - Big Boss

Peace Walker - Big Boss

Metal Gear - Solid Snake

Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid - Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Raiden

Metal Gear Solid: Rising - Raiden

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Solid Snake

Scores:

Big Boss 3

Solid Snake 4

Raiden 2

Amen Brother:applause:

• 4 weeks later...

ready for an analogy kids?

metal gear rising not having returning characters

is to

new creative director catering to xbots new to the franchise

as

final fantasy xiii is linear because of the universe the characters occupy

is to

the studio found out the hard way how hard it is to build fully 3d worlds in true HD

:applause: