Strategy to beat Monsoon on Revengeance

I've just finished defeating this boss and honestly, it wasn't as bad as people made it look like. So I'm gonna tell you how to beat this boss in a relatively easy way.

Before starting:

-We're going for an S ranking here, so make sure that you've S ranked every other battle on R-03 before proceeding. In order to attain S ranking you need 8000 points: Killing him and the No Damage bonuses gives you a total of 4000 points, so the other 4000 should be a combination of Time, BP and Combo. You shouldn't worry about Time, and I'll explain BP and Combo later.

-Equip the following before the boss fight: Murasama blade (Highest damage), Pincer (Sundower's weapon), Red Body (Increased damage), and EMP grenades. The Wig A (Infinite Ammo) is optional but helps.

-There's no need to perfect-parry him at any moment. Only one time it's useful, but then it's also easier to use a regular block here.

-During his "Vehicle Toss" moments, I recommend mostly Horizontal slashes (:square:) over Vertical ones (:triangle:) in Blade mode. Just make sure to adjust the camera correctly.

-This strategy is a compliment to the Boss Data info in the trophy guide, so for more info on his attack patterns check that one out.

-For reference, my copy is PAL and Digital. Version 4 according to the title screen. It should not make a difference though.

For simplicity, I'm listing Monsoon's "phases" based on his health first:

100 - 60%: Hit and Run

This is relatively the hardest part. Monsoon will use his regular attacks, the most dangerous of all being his Smoke Bomb, luckily for us we can make sure that he doesn't use it in the entire battle!

During this phase, Monsoon will chase you and use one of his 3 "simplest" attacks. If you block one of his attacks and slash him many times, he'll ALWAYS use his Smoke Bomb. In order to avoid this, and from the beginning of the fight, we're going to be constantly Ninja Running around him, making him chasing us normaly, and trying to slash him as many times as possible before he attacks. Most of the time, his main attack when using this tactic will be the "Dive Slash" which you should block pretty easily and leaves him the most exposed.

It's important that you block this attack, NOT perfect-parry it, as he'll dodge it and recover faster than if you block it. From here slash him a few times with your sword and Ninja Run away. You can attack him after a perfect parry but it is more risky. Now Monsoon will be chasing you again, and you should repeat the same tactic.

Once you drop his health at around 70% (which will be after 4-5 repetitions of the "hit and run" tactic) he'll get dizzy. Just keep attacking him with your sword until he reaches the next phase.

As pointed out by yuri03042, another great move to use is the Defensive Dodge (done by pressing :cross:+:square:). It will give you invincibility frames and attack Monsoon at the same time, should he use his Smoke Bomb or Dive attack on you. However, it's harder to use and more risky, leaving you exposed if he starts a combo instead of a singe attack. Still, it's a good practice since this move will come very in handy later in the game.

60 - 40%: First and Second Vehicle Tosses

Now Monsoon should be smoking purple, jump to the roof and start throwing both tanks and choppers at you in two waves. Simply cut them in Blade Mode. Remember, though, to pick up the things that these drop. It will increase your BP which you need for your S ranking, and also give you at least one EMP grenade if you don't have any.

Now, when Monsoon drops down he'll still be glowing purple: Throw a EMP grenade to stun him, run up close and chop his head in Blade mode. Quickly run to it and slash him 2-3 times, and then charge your Pincer. As soon as he starts rejointing himself release the attack. This should drop his health at around 50% and will force him to retreat to the roof and start throwing vehicles again.

If you can't hit Monsoon with the EMPs, another good tactic is to change to the Sai before he starts throwing vehicles. That way, your Sai will be charged when he hits ground, and you can stun him easier. Thanks, again, to yuri03042 for this tactic. Just remember to change to the Pincer after using it!

Doing this will make sure that he doesn't use his regular attacks during this entire phase. Repeat this whole tactic once more and he should be at 40% right now: he'll be glowing purple again but will not attack. Before he jumps, change your Pincer to the Sai. Now the next phase starts.

40%: Wheel of Destruction (Because it sounds a lot cooler than "Lorentz Force")

You know this attack, just block it twice and chop it in Blade mode. Now your Sai will be charged, which will come in handy for the next phase.

40 - 10%: The "I have won this" Bullsh*t and the Third Vehicle Toss

Once on the land, Monsoon will instantly throw a Sai at you. This is a 4 hit combo, so you can either block it 4 times or perfect-parry it once. Whichever you use, once he's finished, quickly throw your Sai at him: this way his second attack will be interrupted and he'll be stunned. Run at him FAST and chop his head, and repeat the Pincer method: This will leave him at around 20% this time, and he'll start his third (and final) vehicle toss. This is the hardest one so focus on getting all of them. Forget about BP right now, since you should've more than enough from the last two times.

When he drops, throw an EMP grenade, chop his head and Pincer charge him. This time you'll drop him at 10%, but BEWARE that he'll try to attack you after you release the pincer attack, so block his attacks (on my two runs, he used his 4 kick combo attack). You can also try to Defensive Dodge him, but he might do a combo, and in that case you'll be very exposed. Once you're done blocking you've pretty much won, but what the heck, here comes the final phase.

10 - 0%: The Return of the Wheel of Destruction and the Final QTE

He'll throw you that annoying attack once again. Just relax: Block it twice, chop it and you'll activate the checkpoint. Now you can start your celebration.

One thing: after the QTE make sure to cut him in as many pieces as you can. Besides the satisfaction that it gives, it also increases your Combo meter, which will help you reach the S ranking should you've took too much time beating him or didn't collected enough BP.

So that's it. No videos, cause I couldn't record it. Notice that, using this strategy, he'll never use his "Super Charged" attacks either, making it a lot easier to deal with him. Once you learn it, it becomes trivial beating him past 60% health, just remember to block after the last Pincer charge!

TL;DR Version: Hit and run him to 70-60%; cut the choppas, EMP him and Pincer, repeat from cut the choppas and equip the Sai; block and chop the wheel; block or parry his first Sai combo, throw your Sai and Pincer him; cut the choppas, EMP him, Pincer and BLOCK; Boom, you win.

I hope this provides helpful for those struggling with this boss. If you've a easier/better tactic share it below. This is the best I could do to simplify the fight. Other than that, good luck!

Edited by EMShotgun
Added a few tactics pointed out by yuri03042, thanks again buddy!

• 2 weeks later...
I liked reading your strategy, but I found your TL;DR much funnier!

Thanks! I tried my best to be simple yet informative enough so it doesn't get boring. That's why I bolded the titles and put the health range first, because it's more appealing to someone reading the strategy. I just hope it prooves useful for anyone struggling with this sonuva. Seriously now, why can't bosses be more like Sam? One on one, very few scripted events, no bullshit.

Currently fighting Monsoon at Revengeance and I don't find hard at all (just loads of bullshit which practice makes you learn to avoid). I start staff combo + Defensive Dodge when he attacks me and he usually goes into Smoke Bomb phase, which I wait as much possible to Defesively Dodge so I can damage him and avoid his damage until he goes throwing-shit-mode. It gets really boring to destroy all those vehicles times over times, but still, I don't find it hard, just annoying to redo all this everytime.

EDIT: beaten him, what I did different from your method:

Defensive Dodge FTW.

I started out with pure spear combo + defensive dodge until smoke bomb, then pure parrying during smoke bomb, then more pure spear combo + defensive dodge until he started the throwing-shit-mode and at that point, changed weapon to sai (every time, fuck EMP bombs and their fucking aiming horrid arc) and did the retaliation. Never tried to run from the flying vehicles after the first time I tried (and failed). Avoid moving the camera sideways for objects. Slashing horizontally with the camera centered destroy the side objects most (but not all) times. Move the camera just a little if you find necessary and the vehicle is already closing in. The vehicle in the middle is and must always be your #1 priority. Vehicles above, just triangle slash them once and they are done.

In case you forgot to equip the sai before, do it now and run around Monsoon (as far away from him as possible, but locked on) until it recharges and you can use it (you will always be able to in time, even if you forgot to do it before the throwing-shit-mode just DO NOT get close to monsoon before stunning him. Your pincer method is A+ and I have nothing to change about it. Just 2 more additions, when 40% health, equip the sai again VERY IMPORTANT, DON'T FORGET (you can do this until the second wheel dodge)! When Monsoon drops to the ground and the camera returns to the default position (behind you) wait about a second and dodge, it should perfect it and freeze his hand on the air. NOW IT'S YOUR ONLY CHANCE! Lock-on and use the Sai so he will be stunned again, but BE CAREFUL AND DO NOT RUN A STRAIGHT LINE TOWARD HIM or his hand (which was frozen in the air) will come back to him and hit you in the meantime, completely ruining your current run. Simply move a little to the left or to the right and THEN move toward him for another head ripping attack. DO NOT use the pincer techinique again as Monsoon will always come from the ground into a combo which WILL damage you, and, once again, ruin on almost-won run. Instead, keep hitting square for a blade combo and when Monsoon rises into the air (getting back in "one" piece again) spam the fuck out Defensive Dodge so you move away from him damaging him as much as you can. After this, the fight is very simple and you should have little problem with it as the OP guide covers that.

Edited by yuri03042

That's a really nice strategy here yuri03042, I find it personally harder than mine because of your dependence on the Defensive Ofensive (Dodge), which I actually started to master when facing Armstrong, and the Sai, when using EMP grenades is much faster.

My main idea with this strategy was to not let Monsoon use his thougest attacks (namely, the Smoke Bomb and his Super Charged Moves), so I actually disagree with your first part because you expose yourself too much to his attacks, and simpletons like me tend to fail very easily on that kind of moments. Also, the Polearm does less damage than the Murasama and it leaves you much more exposed. Tell me, did my Hit-and-Run tactic not work for you or you found that easier for yourself? I'm curious because I thought that my tactic was "foolproof" so to speak.

I don't remember it clearly, but I think that I Locked on Monsoon when using the EMP grenades. Also, I threw them close enough so Raiden could roll them instead of throw them, so it would hit him much easier. It's about timing and position, but even so they're not so strict.

If you use mostly EMPs, you only have to change to the Sai once using my strategy, that is before (or during) the first Loretz Force, so the next segment would be considerably easier. Also, during the last stages of his life (below 20%) you CAN use the Pincer attack, however the timing might be trickier since he counters almost immediately after reaching 10%, that's why I bolded that "beware". Luckily I only had to do that part two times: when it screwed me the first time, and when I managed to block his attacks and win.

Nevertheless, your strategy is still impresive, thanks for sharing it here, and good luck with the rest of the bosses, after this they'll just be more annoying that threatening.

The most of your strategy was what made me won the battle, but the techqnique I posted before, while I recognize it's way worse than the one you gave, was the one burned into my brain and by no means I could do anything different from that, even if I wanted to. Muscle memory...

Apart from that, I think your strategy is flawless because a friend of mine used it and won with considerable ease. I just find really hard to parry even now that I just need VR 18 for the plat and IMO the Defensive Dodge is much more reliable for me (again, because I still suck balls at parrying).

EDIT: beaten VR 18.

Senator Armstrong was easy as pie for me, probably because I was dumb enough to start the game on Hard already, instead of an easier difficulty to learn the game, had to learn how to play the hard way, sadly. It worked out fine in the end, I got Stormbringer today and grinded the remaining kills.

EDIT: I just read my previous message again and it seemed like I was correcting your method which was not my intention, but to show what I have done. Defensive Dodge is easier for me to perform and also is changing to Sai instead of using an EMP which I suck balls aiming with. It's a personal preference, but I believe whoever sticks to your method should have sucess in an earlier date than someone that sticks to mine.

Edited by yuri03042

EDIT: I just read my previous message again and it seemed like I was correcting your method which was not my intention, but to show what I have done. Defensive Dodge is easier for me to perform and also is changing to Sai instead of using an EMP which I suck balls aiming with. It's a personal preference, but I believe whoever sticks to your method should have sucess in an earlier date than someone that sticks to mine.

Everything that adds to make this battle easier is welcomed, that's why I added a few of your tactics to my main strategy. I hope you don't mind and, if you see anything wrong there, just let me know. It's been a while since I've beaten this game (and the nightmares are gone too) so I'm very rusty on this :D

• 6 months later...

One thing I appreciate about this game is that you can kind of make your own strategy for beating bosses. I just beat Monsoon with S rank on Revengeance using mixed strategies from youtube videos. I hope you don't mind me sharing.

Stages of Monsoon's Health

100%-70%

One amazing technique that I learned from VR mission videos is the dashing stab upgrade (tap forward twice on analog and press triangle). This technique makes Revengeance difficulty much easier (breaks the armor on lesser enemies more quickly than regular attacks. On some bosses sends them to the ground when they're weak or caught off-guard). Unlike Mistral and Armstrong, the dash attack can't really be used as an offensive attack against Monsoon because he likes to hit you mid sequence. But it's useful for getting close to him if he's far away.

Basically my strategy here was to attack quickly, dodge Monsoon's simple attacks, and dodge back to create distance. I would keep distance from him then hit square. This would make Raiden do a leaping slash. Hit Monsoon a few times with square, dodge back to safe distance. Keep repeating the leaping slash and small attacks until he throws his smoke grenade.

I focused on blocking his dash attacks during smoke segment. Once he was finished I went back to leaping slash, small attacks, dodging back to create distance. Repeated. Keep in mind I wasn't focusing much on parrying, but was dodging his lesser attacks (he tries to kick you if you get too close, tries to jump in the air and dash at you, and does single hit patterns. These are not that hard to dodge). Keeping distance seems to prevent Monsoon from doing his 3-4 consecutive sai attacks (your proximity to him and how long you're there seems to make him use that attack pattern. Sometimes he uses it regardless of your proximity. He just seems to do it less when you keep distance).

70%-40%

Monsoon started throwing vehicles around 70%. Cut through those at first to replenish EM Grenades, gain BP, etc. Later when he started throwing 5 or more vehicles I started ninja running across map to avoid them.

After throwing two sets of vehicles, he lands back on the ground and turns purple. I used my charged sai to stun him and if I missed, moved back and threw an EM Grenade at him. Knocked his head off during the L1 sequence and immediately changed from sai to pincer blades. Stood a decent distance away from his head and charged the pincer blades. Waited until he reformed near his head to release the charged pincer blades. This takes him down to around 55%. Repeat all of the above again until he reaches 40%.

40%-10%

He then throws his Lorentz force crap pile at you. Block it both times to get a L1 sequence. He drops to ground and starts talking. Once he stops talking he throws his first sai at you. This part always screws me up. It's hard to get the timing right for parrying his sai's. I've found that counting to 5 after he stops talking helps me to perfect parry the first sai (blocking when your count reaches 5). Counting to 5 after you parry the first sai, helps to perfect parry the second sai. He then sends his legs after you. If you dodge his legs once they reach you they'll stop attacking. Wait for Monsoon's upper body to stop moving and then hit him with your charged sai or EM Grenade.

From here it's basically just repeating the same strategies as before. Stunning, slashing his head, using charged pincer blades once he reforms. Be careful you're not too close when using the charged pincer blades. Being too close will sometimes cause Monsoon to start a combo or dash after reforming. If you suspect he will attack try to dodge once he reforms. Even if he doesn't attack at least you're playing it safe. Sometimes he does things that are unpredictable. Several times I got him down to 10% and instead of starting the last sequence he kept attacking. Think I got too close when using pincer blades.

10%

The easy part. He uses Lorentz force to send another pile of vehicles at you. Block both times to get an L1 sequence. Monsoon picks up the nearby obelisk and the game creates a checkpoint.

It's smooth sailing from here. You get an analog+R1 prompt. Next an L1 slicing sequence, a circle+triangle sequence, and the last L1 sequence.

To sum it up:

I used a lot of the same strategies as EMShotgun and Yuri. Difference here being that I used the dash stab to reach Monsoon when he was far away and that my focus was on keeping distance to avoid 3-4 hit sai combos.

Edited by ChristVic