Listen up people, the servers are still up and always have been! (NOT a boosting thread)

fYDBgNV.png

I'm going to put a stop to these stupid rumours once and for all about the servers being down.

The Mercenaries 2 servers are still up and running! The only servers that were ever turned off were for the PC version so don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise! If anyone gives you grief about this issue then send them here.

Rumour Control: There have been a lot of rumours floating around lately regarding Mercs 2 and GameSpy, I can categorically state that the PS3 version of this game has nothing to do with GameSpy and will not be closing anytime soon!

The following are the solutions for the most common problems people have had when trying to play this online:

Problem 1: The Game freezes at the Main Menu whilst trying to connect to the Servers.

Cause: EA changed the Terms of Service/Terms and Conditions without telling anyone and didn't patch in the new ones.

Solution: Rent/Buy/Borrow one of the following and accept the MP T&Cs:

Confirmed to work:

• The Orange Box (no trophies) (Thanks to Halfaworldaway, t2kill and LPD for confirming this) see here for how to get around the connection failure message this game sometimes gives: LINK

• Battlefield Bad Company 1 (Has trophies) (Thanks to Donkey-er, Rhysss, HollowGB, ATOMBOMB1977, RubberDuck and Frxn for confirming this).

• Medal Of Honour: Airborne (No trophies) (Thanks to Reevezie2012, Hybrid525, brudnaharriet, Siggers and TomKeifer for confirming this).

Questionable:

• Skate 2 (Has trophies) (Ryukori says it does work but Crushyerbones and g0d of g0t says it doesn't) - Try this one at your own risk. According to Roronora_Zoro666, the Skate 2 servers have a major hacker problem which may prevent this game being used to fix the T&C problem in Mercs 2. Aug 12th, 2022 UPDATE: The servers for this game closed a few months ago so there's a good chance this EULA is now useless.

• Need For Speed Carbon (No trophies) (Prtmcluescrol has confirmed that the servers are still up but is doubtful that this game's T&Cs will fix the problem in Mercs 2). Aug 12th, 2022 UPDATE: The servers for this game closed a few months ago so there's a good chance this EULA is now useless.

DON'T use the following as they are proven to not work:

• Battlefield Bad Company 1 demo

• Mirror's Edge (Full game and demo)

• Army Of Two (The 1st one and NOT the 40th Day) (no trophies) - The servers for AO2 were turned off on August 11 2011 so the T&Cs will no longer work (Thanks to SquishyButtman for confirming this).

or any other EA game from 2008 onwards!

If you wish to use a Sub-Account then you will need 2 different games because once accepted, the TOS for a game then can't redeemed again on that console (credit to Straatveger for this info).

Do note that even when you do fix your freezing problems, under NO circumstances try to read the T&Cs in the Extras menu because they will cause your PS3 to hard freeze as that link is still coded to look for the OLD T&Cs!

Problem 2: The Game can't connect to the Servers/your Friends (no freezing).

Cause: Many reasons

Solution 1:

Delete your friends list, load the game, connect to the servers then re-add your friends one-by-one. This method is not 100% effective but it does work for some people.

Solution 2:

Add your PS3 to your router's DMZ, see here for more info: LINK (Thanks to Aidan for this info) or here: LINK (Thanks to JackParke for this info).

Solution 3:

Make sure you're trying to connect to someone in the same region as you as the servers are region locked (there is a note on this in the back of the manual). NOTE: I'm not 100% convinced the servers for this are actually region locked as my main boosting buddy for this lives in the US, whilst I'm in the UK and we had no real problems connecting to each other.

Solution 4:

Turn on the Auto Save in the Main Menu, Load up any old save and play around for a bit, save then try to join a game.

Solution 5:

Disconnect from PSN whilst at the Main Menu, wait a few seconds then view the Leaderboards as that will force you and the servers to re-connect to PSN (Thanks to Deqon for confirming this :)).

Solution 6:

See here (credit to CesarMFM): LINK

CAUTION:

Installing the T&Cs from any EA game from 2011 onwards will cause Mercs 2 to "forget" the old T&Cs you've installed thus preventing you from connecting to the EA servers. This new bug will NOT cause the freezing bug to return but is easily fixed by following Solutions 4 and/or 5 from the list above :).

If none of these work then all I can suggest is you contact Sony and check the status of PSN in your area or talk to your ISP as they may have changed something at your local exchange. It's also possible that you're router/modem is on its way out and may need replacing.

Problem 3: The Dollar trophies don't unlock:

Cause 1: The main reason the Dollar trophies fail to unlock for people is due to playing online before the trophy patch was released as EA have never reset the servers.

Solution 1: Until EA pulls their collective thumbs out this may never be officially fixed.

Solution 2: It has come to my attention that 4 users on this site (alecro, Pluschen, jay3625+Olsen77) have found a confirmed solution to the "Tattooed Millionaire" Trophy Glitch in the link here: LINK

The above solution also works for "Billion Dollar Babies" (Credit goes to StanDaMan187+SirBodom for confirming this) :).

Solution 3: This is an alternate solution: LINK (Credit to Ajeel06 and DiegoLazov) Do note though that this method is more fiddly than the one mentioned in the above Solution 2.

Cause 2: There is a bug in the way the servers record the amount of money you've earned.

Solution: If the above info about the trophy patch does not apply to you, then do the following:

Turn on the Auto Save, earn some more money (it doesn't matter how) then do a manual save and the trophy will pop very soon afterwards. Note: The Auto Save doesn't work very well in Free Roam mode for some unknown reason so be warned.

Problem 4: Certain MP trophies don't unlock when they should.

Cause: This game is very buggy, EA have no interest in fixing the bugs and the developers have gone bust.

Solution: Read the Road Map and Trophy Guide on the main site for advice or post here.

If you have trouble with "Nothin' Like a Good Time" then try running over the barriers that go down the centre of the 2 main bridges :). Also see here: LINK Credit to ColdNorway and ChrisDMFv2 for this info.

The number of people actually playing this is low but you CAN still get the Platinum if you have a reliable Boosting buddy and the servers play nice!

Don't ever try contacting EA about any of this as they'll just feed you a load of BS as they have no intention of ever fixing these problems. See here for an example of their BS: LINK

AVOID the Official Mercs 2 forums as they are full of bad, out-of-date information and there have been unconfirmed reports of the mods there unceremoniously banning people for asking awkward questions.

Also, keep an eye on this thread over at the EA website: Service Updates as that will tell you if or when the servers do get turned off.

Copyright and other info:

If you have any suggestions or other feedback, then please let me know :D.

This guide is for use on ps3trophies.org and is the property of this site and Terminator (myself). If you find any part of this guide listed anywhere else on the net without proper credits, then please let me know. You may link to this guide and quote me but I expect full credits to be given confirming me as the original author of any info that's quoted.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

Great thread Terminator!

This really should become a sticky thread and, not only my thread, but all others about the servers being shutdown should be deleted.

I wasn't trying to spam the boards, at all- when I posted my thread. It's just I was freaking out because this problem never happened to me before, but now it's recurring :(

Question: I'm unable to connect to EA's servers from the main menu, of this game. So if I buy Skate 2 (I have already started collecting trophies in that game, from the past), accept the online T&C's, then I should be able to connect is what you're saying?

1st of all This thread wasn't being aimed at anyone in particular :) and 2nd, since you've already played Skate 2 in the past it might not allow you to Accept the T&Cs a 2nd time so you may have to get one of the other titles on the list.

Have a nice day :).

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo

In that case you may just be in luck ;).

Great thread Terminator!

This really should become a sticky thread and, not only my thread, but all others about the servers being shutdown should be deleted.

Agreed!

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info

Woohoo. I'll have to try this tomorrow using my "The Orange Box" game, hopefully it'll work for me so I can finally get the Platinum for this.

:applause: Thanks heaps Terminator :applause:

As for EA, I should have learnt by now to avoid their games as they are always causing some sort of problems but once in a while a good looking game just overwhelms all reason and proper thinking.

Woohoo I can play it online again, just need to find some people & time to actually complete the other trophies now lol

Just something that may help others with the "Tattooed Millionaire" & Billion Dollar Babies" Trophies, it worked for me I don't know if it will for you.

Due to me having 181 million already, I thought I wouldn't get the trophy because of that glitch, and sure enough the trophy didn't pop when I went online or earned any more money. BUT I decided to do a manual save and the trophy popped straight after, same thing happened when I passed one billion, no trophy, so once again I did a manual save and it popped straight after, so for me it worked, for you it may or may not, but for the hassle of doing a manual save, it's worth checking out.

Cheers.

** Thread Stuck **

Good info and once again quite absurd on EA's end.

Thank you :bow:!

Woohoo I can play it online again, just need to find some people & time to actually complete the other trophies now lol

Just something that may help others with the "Tattooed Millionaire" & Billion Dollar Babies" Trophies, it worked for me I don't know if it will for you.

Due to me having 181 million already, I thought I wouldn't get the trophy because of that glitch, and sure enough the trophy didn't pop when I went online or earned any more money. BUT I decided to do a manual save and the trophy popped straight after, same thing happened when I passed one billion, no trophy, so once again I did a manual save and it popped straight after, so for me it worked, for you it may or may not, but for the hassle of doing a manual save, it's worth checking out.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info, i'll add it now :).

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo

Confirming Army of Two worked for me.

A nice showcase of EA's lack of support for older games. :(

Sorry Terminator, I know this is getting off the subject but I just had to say it.

andremal that sentence actually should be "A nice showcase of EA's lack of support."

It dosen't matter on the age of the game.

• 1 month later...

question terminator, just wondering before i go buy army of two 1 at gamestop so i can get a platinum 4 mercs2; do you know 4 sure army of two will work if it was released march 2008? also can accept the toc/t&c once and still from then on be able to connect online 4 mercs 2? just wondering because if so i could rent it which would be so much sicker

Edited by DABVT

thank you so much you have been EXTREMELY helpful. on a side note i wish the trophy guide had shown all spare part and billboard locations, oh well. BTW i will most likely buy ao2 at gamestop accept the t&c and then take it back and get a refund due to gamestop's 7day refund guarantee. P.S. i'll send you a friend request i'm DanielVT

a. thanks for accepting my friend request b. i am hard at work trying to get the platinum and so i had another question for you if you don't mind: can i be playing single player on my progress and then my friend Canadian_Wilson joins my game, then does that automatically make my sp game a co-op game and from the time he joins my game i can stat getting co-op trophies? any info on this would be greatly appreciated thx

i hope i'm not getting on your nerves but i have found the need to ask you two more questions. a. as you probably know i have been playing offline mercs 2 and i as of yet have not gotten ao2 to fix mercs. the reason i say this is because the trophy guide says to make sure the first time you play to be online to get the tattooed millionare trophy, does that mean when i do finally get online i wont be able to get it? or will it be that i just sign in and start playing where i left off and the first million i earn while connected i'll still get the trophy?

b. my final question was this at the end of the game when you beat solano are you able to go back and colect spare parts and and side missions you missed? i would like to know because i am nearing the end. THX again :)

I had noticed you didn't have the Tattooed Millionaire trophy but I think you may be alright so long as you start a new game once you have all the Offline trophies and are able to connect to the servers. If you connect to the servers on your current save then you will be screwed as once your stats are on the server they never get wiped so starting a new game then is futile.

Once you defeat the final boss and get back to the main menu you can load your save and play-around to your hearts content with no story missions to worry about.

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info

okay wow that is great info, if i didn't know that i would DEFINETELY have been screwed, you are greatly helpful. why are you a level 4? with all the help you have given me and others you should be a level 5 lol thx :)

edit: one last thing should i delete the save off my ps3 when i have all online trophies? because at the main menu when i am finally connected, it will say continue, new game, join game, etc so if it connects and offers me continue does that mean that it has read that save file and all that info making me literally screwed or can i simply just start a new game?

Edited by DABVT
forgot to mention something

• Terminator changed the title to Listen up people, the servers are still up and always have been! (NOT a boosting thread)