Really wanted to like this...

thomas2400

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's part of the problem - a lot of people have played #1 after having experienced the far superior #2 and #3 and it's put them off. I agree that #1 isn't as good as the sequels, but for someone who hasn't played these, I'd wager that they'd think it to be a pretty impressive game.

I don't know, literally the only reason i'm pushing myself through is because i'm sick of playing comics or hearing what happened and i wanted to play it myself

Got to say it's to my top three worst games this generation for checkpoints, i know you can save whenever you want but why does it randomly save when you walk through some doors and not others and why does it save after some missions but not others

I literally had to play the same hour of the feron mission because i hadn't saved and i got killed, that is not fun and considering this is a re release that has come out after the sequels with good checkpoints, it just seems like lazy design

I could go for a little while on what all is stupid about me1. But I won't. Cuz I've worked around the stupidity. Which is why I turned off the auto save after my first playthrough.

I wouldn't say that ME1 is one of the top 3 worst games of this generation. That's saying its as broken as Amy. Or Last Rebellion. Trust me, there are much worse titles than mass effect. It ain't perfect, but it isn't a mountain of bile.

I think that's part of the problem - a lot of people have played #1 after having experienced the far superior #2 and #3 and it's put them off. I agree that #1 isn't as good as the sequels, but for someone who hasn't played these, I'd wager that they'd think it to be a pretty impressive game.

This is basically exactly what I said in some other post in this forum.

You probably would of enjoyed the game if you didn't play the other two before it. The issue is that you got to play the two games that got overhaul on a lot of things. It just seems bad because you had certain expectations going into the first one because of 2 and 3 that it just really lets you down if you don't know exactly what to expect.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Spelling error!

I had adjusted my expectations in anticipation of playing ME1 after playing ME2 and ME3 each twice. And my experience has been on par with those expectations.

After trying to play Assassins Creed 1 after spending a lot of time with ACII and Brotherhood, I would say ME1 holds up well in comparison. My biggest problem with ME1 is the 3+ full playthroughs required for all trophies. I know no one is forcing me to get all the trophies, but I just don't feel I can import my new Shepards into ME2 and ME3 until I'm totally done with ME1. (If I did import, I don't think I could go back again.)

I had adjusted my expectations in anticipation of playing ME1 after playing ME2 and ME3 each twice. And my experience has been on par with those expectations.

After trying to play Assassins Creed 1 after spending a lot of time with ACII and Brotherhood, I would say ME1 holds up well in comparison. My biggest problem with ME1 is the 3+ full playthroughs required for all trophies. I know no one is forcing me to get all the trophies, but I just don't feel I can import my new Shepards into ME2 and ME3 until I'm totally done with ME1. (If I did import, I don't think I could go back again.)

I agree with this. The trophy requirements were not creative. I had lower expectations because ME1 came out years earlier.

yep unfortunately if you played the new games first you are likley ready to kill someone. The same thing happened with Assassins Creed if you played 2 or any other then go back to the first game you will want to murder something. In all honesty the main action parts of the game are very good, its just the rest, the citadel is overwhelming even more so than the universe itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know. I thought it was preety good. I see what you are saying about playing it first before 2 or 3 putting you off from the series. I definitely liked the RPG elemnts in the first a lot better than the implementation in 2 or 3. I did think the shooting and the characterization in 2 and 3 were better. The story in 1 though I thought was really good. One of the best I ever played.

Give and take I guess.

Ok so after nearly a month away from the game because of new releases, i finally started to play again and for some reason i'm enjoying it much more

Maybe the quality of the side missions have improved i don't know

Still it can get pretty tedious when you realize that 90% of the side missions are set in one of three different buildings

When this games is at it's best, it's easily on par with the other games, it's just a shame that there are so many lows

That's quite subjective.

To me #2 & #3 are far inferior.

I am one of the unlucky few who played 2 and 3 before getting a chance to play this one. I like the RPG aspects alot more in 1, but it pisses me off that the game is at war with itself. You have heavy RPG aspects, but rediculous combat without the gameplay to match it.

So many people say that ME1 is easier than the other two, to this I can't help but laugh. And the Mako? Jesus, on insanity it takes like 2 shots to kill you in that thing, even from lowly ground troops.

The gripe I have with the game is this:

If you want to be an RPG, fine. Why all the cheap deaths even for a maxed out character?

If you want to be a shooter, fine. Just make sure the gameplay can match the intensity of your enemies, instead of shooting in the foot, or head= same damage.

I LOVE the Mass Effect series, but I swear if it wasnt for my stubborn trophy whore ways, this game would have been shelved and forgotten about right after playthrough 1 was over.

Maybe if I got to play it when it first came out, I would feel differently like some here, but unfortunetly I didn't, and i can't wait for this nightmare to be over.

Always look on the bright side of things though, at least we didnt have to swap 4 freaking discs while playing it like the xbros:cool:

If you like ME1 better than the last 2, great, but I will NEVER be able to claim that. This game feels like what a NIS version of Mass Effect would be: Great idea, terrible execution.

So many people say that ME1 is easier than the other two, to this I can't help but laugh. And the Mako? Jesus, on insanity it takes like 2 shots to kill you in that thing, even from lowly ground troops.

The Mako thing is a bit ridiculous, but I do believe ME1 is easier than the other two. The main reason for this is because when you get a high enough character you can become untouchable. Throw the right mods in the right armor for your class and it takes forever to bring you down and if you have immunity, everything is laughable. Then you have infinite ammo that you can sit there and hold the trigger button down and never over heat once your high enough.

Super easy.

ME1 is clearly easier than ME2 or ME3. Immunity makes everything a joke, regardless of having only OK armor.

But it is funny that you are tougher outside the Mako than inside it. On particularly difficult parts, I just leave the vehicle and take care of business. Really stupid.

That may be, but I'm doing my insanity run with an engineer and believe me when I tell you, there are few things in the game that can't ALMOST one shot you, regardless of lvl, mods, or N7 weapons.

I would want to try goiing through insanity with a soldier class, but I'm almost to Virmire and I'll be damned if I'm going to play though the game AGAIN from the start.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I ran through ME2 and 3 on insanity with very little difficulty, but in this game, I probably have died well over 50 times in a day!

Dissapointment is turning to hate on this game rather quickly.:mad:

Edited by Blood_Runs_Cold

• 2 weeks later...

Ehhh...I don't hate it, but it is pretty talk heavy. I really like the story so far (almost done with my first playthru) and I'm playing all three of these games in order, so I'm interested in where things go from here.

No moving on until I platinum each one in order.

Ahhhh the Mako. The amount of times this piece of crap would get stuck in the ground for no reason, or not hit any enemies despite my crosshairs being right on them.......I was so glad when I realised I'd never have to use it again once I hit the Conduit on my last playthrough.

Then again, I still think of it fondly, because I love Mass Effect and everything to do with it. I feel that way about the whole game, I am starting another ME2 playthrough but am already missing aspects of ME1.

And it's still better than the Hammerhead! (The Mako)

As for ME1 being the easiest on Insanity, I don't think it can be disputed, so many factors make it a breeze. Out of the three I found ME2 the hardest to finish on Insanity. Fucking Praetorians and Fucking Horizon.

Edited by Kungfuhamster

Always look on the bright side of things though, at least we didnt have to swap 4 freaking discs while playing it like the xbros

I cant remember any discswaps on 360? Or am I just forgetting that? Anyways, Mass Effect 1 is one of my personal favorites ever.

Although I'm enjoying it, I'm disappointed that I didn't play it before 2 & 3. I'm loving the storyline so far, but I feel like because of it's aged gameplay mechanics it'll never get the recognition it truly deserves from some PS3 gamers (including me)

I do have to agree on the autosaves. The later editions had enough of them, but in this one it's sorely lacking. Died in Noveria and lost a good amount of progress, but lesson learned because I'm manually saving often now.

Having played 2 first and read a lot about the first game i already expected a game of lesser quality but still good. That being said the combat is very clunky and i found "customization" to be very boring and tedious. Having played Dragon Age: Origins 7+ times i know that customization doesn't need to be like that, the fact that you have to go each individual persons locker is ridiculous and just added extra wasted time. Also i didn't care about any of the companions unlike in 2 in which i did. And i don't even need to mention the side quests, it's like Dragon Age 2 all over again. But all the negative aside i am enjoying it. I am currently on my first playthrough on Ilos and am debating whether or not to continue on to 2 and 3 or just finish the platinum.

Edit: Beat it and was quite satisfied with it overall, gonna go for plat now i think.

Edited by psfanboy123

• 3 weeks later...

I think what kills of ME1 with people playing 2 & 3 before hand is the fact the areas are more better developed like the Citadel and more things where added to make combat better in some examples.

Like you can shortcut to use a team members skill the planet exploration is practically gone and even though scanning was boring it wasn't as boring as ME1's on going down planet side, to an over the top rocky planet that's basically had items dropped on it that clearly ain't there properly and looks familiar to others but with different sky and ground foliage.

I played ME1 on 360 first play through thought yeah its not bad but having to play it 3 more times to get achievements etc was just stupid I never played it again once I finished it once didn't see the point, I wished they changed the trophies for PS3 would of been better to come up with a new set