Easiest method for weapon mastery trophies (150 kills)

peter17319

This was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to spell it out more thoroughly. If you're playing an Engineer or Adept and need an easy way to get 150 kills in those 3 weapons that you're "untrained" in:

1. Go to Attican Beta Cluster / Hercules System / Eletania

Note: this is a Level 1 hazard planet, so make sure you and your two squadmates have adequate armor, or you'll keep getting the "danger meter".

2. Investigate the downed probe, and then the 4 Pyjak nests will appear on your map. (although the game just labels them as "monkeys")

3. Go to the first nest. Equip the weapon you want, and add any useful mods. Shotgun & assault rifle, go for accuracy mods. Sniper rifle, use stabilization.

4. Now make a manual save.

5. Start massacring the monkeys! There are 10 in each nest, so it's 40 kills per planet drop.

6. After the last nest, go straight back to the Normandy. Let it auto-save, then immediately load the manual save from step #4.

7. Rinse and repeat.

8. Helpful tip -- since you don't get a good reticle for an "untrained" weapon, try crouching. It really enhances the assault rifle. And the sniper rifle goes from no reticle at all, to at least having a crappy one.

It seems like it wouldn't work by reverting back to that previous save, but the kills are recorded in your overall game profile, not the save file. Trust me -- I just did it myself about an hour ago for all 3 weapons, and it absolutely works.

(P)

Interesting footnote regarding the Level 1 Hazard....

I did this on my first playthrough with Liara and Tali in my squad. We all had mid-level armor, and there was no "danger meter" while we stood outside the Mako. I could walk around as much as I wanted.

But when I re-visited during my 2nd playthrough with Kaidan and Garrus, we all had top-of-the-line armor, yet I was getting the danger meter. :confused:

Maybe there's a glitch, or maybe some squad members are more susceptible to the hazard? I'm not sure.

I did this on my first playthrough with Liara and Tali in my squad. We all had mid-level armor, and there was no "danger meter" while we stood outside the Mako. I could walk around as much as I wanted.

But when I re-visited during my 2nd playthrough with Kaidan and Garrus, we all had top-of-the-line armor, yet I was getting the danger meter. :confused:

Maybe there's a glitch, or maybe some squad members are more susceptible to the hazard? I'm not sure.

My guess is the particular armor and mods you were using at the time in your first playthrough probably offered better protection against toxic hazards.

I noticed that too. I'm not sure exactly what makes show up or not. I think it might have something to do, not with the armor, but with the upgrades in it.

5. Start massacring the monkeys! There are 10 in each nest, so it's 40 kills per planet drop.

6. After the last nest, go straight back to the Normandy. Let it auto-save, then immediately load the manual save from step #4.

You don't have to save inbetween these steps, the counter goes up even if just load the manual save. Since it's quite a drive to the last two nests, I just emptied two nests and then loaded the last save and got these trophies done relatively quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An even better solution: go to the southern camp. Be sure to wear an armour that won't prevent you from dying because of the hazards. Save game, and start the shooting. By the time you shoot the last monkey, you should die. When asked, resume game. Repeat until the trophy pops.

• 2 months later...

i swear some of these engineer/adept power trophies are glitched

i grinded Fist for the engineer trophies by unleashing all 5 powers twice per reload. Sabotage, Dampening and Overload unlocked in around 1h 15m, AI Hacking took 2h, Neural Shock took close to 3h...:mad:

Lift also took way longer to unlock than the other biotic powers when using them on the mako

not touching this game ever again after the Plat

• 1 month later...

I think they must be glitched as well. Just to be sure, all engineer abilities work on the Mako right? I know AI hacking needs Geth so not that one...

I started grinding these ability trophies on the mission where you rescue Liara and I saved right before you can't use the Mako anymore. I then cast all my abilities on the Mako, run up the hill, cast AI hacking on one of the two Geth, kill them, and then reload the manual save. I've kept a tally of this and I've done it well over 100 times and still no trophies.

I don't know if I should start a new character and go with the Fist method or continue grinding with my new character. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Thanks!

Don't forget to save before reloading your manual save for the uses of these abilities to be properly recorded.

Furthermore, there is a chance that a use doesn't register when there's no target within range (especially for the targeted skills like Warp, Lift, Throw, etc. you need to make sure that the lock mark is homing on the intended target mark - if not, you are likely to be out of luck).

Don't forget to save before reloading your manual save for the uses of these abilities to be properly recorded.

Furthermore, there is a chance that a use doesn't register when there's no target within range (especially for the targeted skills like Warp, Lift, Throw, etc. you need to make sure that the lock mark is homing on the intended target mark - if not, you are likely to be out of luck).

I just read that you have to do this in one sitting! I had done about 50 of them the other night before getting tired and cutting off my PS3. I'll report back after I do 75 more in a row....

That's not necessary. The number of uses for a certain power is recorded in a separate file (not the actual save file) and is therefore memorized.

I had this effect with the medi-gel uses: On my Normal run the trophy didn't pop, but about one third through my Hardcore run the trophy popped (I hadn't used medi-gel 150 times by that point of time in the Hardcore run).

So as long as you continue playing the same character (i. e. complete a run, then import that character into ME1 again and play another run) all uses for any power are cumulative, so when you already used a power 40 times up to now, that makes 35 uses that remain.

That's not necessary. The number of uses for a certain power is recorded in a separate file (not the actual save file) and is therefore memorized.

I had this effect with the medi-gel uses: On my Normal run the trophy didn't pop, but about one third through my Hardcore run the trophy popped (I hadn't used medi-gel 150 times by that point of time in the Hardcore run).

So as long as you continue playing the same character (i. e. complete a run, then import that character into ME1 again and play another run) all uses for any power are cumulative, so when you already used a power 40 times up to now, that makes 35 uses that remain.

Ok that is good to know. After sitting down and retrying, I got every Engineer trophy to pop. I don't know what it was, but I do think that maybe the game doesn't update your profile information (the file that stores uses of abilities, weapon kills, etc.) unless you make some kind of other save at some point.

Anywho, on to the adept grind!

I used the monkey grind for the assault rifle and shotgun, but it's just a huge pain with the sniper rifle being untrained, even crouching and with accuracy boosting mods. I might try again with stabilization mods, but otherwise I think it might be faster to just make a soldier and grind it out on a class that can actually zoom in with it.