Mass Effect Trilogy, New or Used?

ifistbrowni

I want (so badly) to play these games. I have never tried them (originally being a 360 player, and this originally being an exclusive... im surprised i didnt), but seeing as the trilogy is out, it might be a cheap alternative to play the series.

Through looking it up, i could not find much information about the DLC content included. From what i've read, i think Mass Effect 2 gets all its DLC, but Mass Effect 3 doesn't get any (apart from an online pass, in which EA does not require usage anymore). Can anyone confirm/explain the DLC situation, and what all i would need to purchase for a 100% completion to the series?

My question, (if there is dlc) does dlc come on disc or pre-paid code? I understand the online pass comes on a pre-paid code, but it is not required anymore.

So, should i get the game new, or used (to save money). This is not an issue of "do i want to support the devs, screw gamestop/second hand sellers" thread. I support my wallet, and would like to save money. Would it make sense to buy the game New (would i get any "bonuses" or miss out on the dlc)?

I used the search function on the forum, but couldn't find a thread to answer my question, so sorry if i over-looked something.

Edited by ifistbrowni

On PlayStation 3, Bring Down the Sky will be included both on disc and on the PSN download, Mass Effect 2 will still have the same DLC on-disc that it was originally shipped with: Cerberus Network; Genesis; Kasumi; Overlord; and Lair of the Shadow Broker. Finally, Mass Effect 3 will also be exactly as it originally shipped.
Source: http://masseffect.bioware.com/about/trilogy/

The Cerberus Network DLC is Code only so you will still need to buy the Arrival DLC and all the other odds and ends from the Store. ME 3 only comes with the Online Pass, nothing else so you will still have to buy all the other DLCs. Overall the Trilogy release is a bit of a rip-off as you get virtually nothing else with it.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

Thanks for the response. So, are you suggesting i buy the game New or Used?

I would Save $10 buying used. Would buying New save me money (does the ME:2 Dlc cost $10 or more)? Also, does the dlc that i named include trophies? I'm only interested in playing the DLC that include trophies (for the 100%).

EDIT:

After quick research. It appears the cerberus pack includes 1 dlc trophy. Not sure of the price of the pack though (if i decided to buy used). Between Mass Effect 3 and one pack on ME: 2 the dlc in total will cost about $60. I might just wait a bit longer and see if they come out with a ME: 3 complete edition, then from there purchase 1 and 2 separately.

Again, i thank you for the response. But, after looking into the price of the ME: 3 DLC i think i'll wait a bit longer before making a decision.

Edited by ifistbrowni

The amount you would have to spend to get all the DLCs with trophies, for both ME2+3 will swallow up that $10 saving just by buying 2 of the DLCs you need. The single DLC trophy you get with the Cerberus Pack can be obtained in 1-3hrs, depending on what difficulty you play on. I've just looked on the EU PS store and the Cerberus Pack isn't available any more so without a code you would be stuck at 98 or 99% completion (if the same applies to the US Store) :(.

Maybe the cerberus pack was a stand-in for an online-pass and thats why its not available on the store?

EA scrapped the online pass requirements for all games, so ME:3 online pass is obsolete, could it be the same for the cerberus?

Either way, there is no way i am paying full price for this DLC. I'll either wait for a week that its on sale, or wait to see if they announce a ME:3 complete edition.

I guess i should've looked up the prices to ME:3 before starting a thread. but i should've known, with it being EA and all, that they would cost as much as a brand new retail game.

Edited by ifistbrowni

I am pretty sure the cerberus network is free in europe as well now, as is the ME3 network pass.

as for what DLC to get?

ME1

Bring Down the Sky a giant asteroid is on a collisioncourse with a human colony.

it is your first in-game encounter with the Batarians.

Pinnacle Station is just a virtual simulator where you can fight badguys. ignore if you're on a budget.

ME2

Zaeed - The Price of Revenge Free with CerbNet.

Kasumi - Stolen Memory included in the PS3 version.

Lair of the Shadow Broker included in the PS3 version.

Overlord included in the PS3 version.

The Arrival Counterpart to Bring Down the Sky. hard to talk about without going in to spoiler-territory, but the reapers are coming sooner than everyone thought. better than Overlord, worse than Shadow Broker.

the rest are just weapon-packs or alternative outfits. can be completely ignored (most of them are free with the CerbNet though).

ME3

From Ashes One mission where you pick up a prothean squadmate and learn some backstory.

Leviathan Track down a scientist across the galaxy, and learn plenty backstory about the Reapers. also gives you some new upgrade-types for your weapons.

Omega Work with Aria to retake Omega from Cerberus. the first "big" DLC for ME3, with a few hours of content, and new upgrade-types for your weapons.

Citadel the last hurrah, and to me the only indispensible DLC. the crew of the Normandy take shoreleave while the ship goes into drydock for an overhaul, and things get suitably interesting. several hours of content, new upgrade-types for your weapons and you get an apartment on the Citadel... the writers really went all out on this one with the humour.

so basically, at first just get Bring down the sky for ME1, Arrival for ME2 and Citadel for ME3.

I am pretty sure the cerberus network is free in europe as well now, as is the ME3 network pass.

as for what DLC to get?

ME1

Bring Down the Sky a giant asteroid is on a collisioncourse with a human colony.

it is your first in-game encounter with the Batarians.

Pinnacle Station is just a virtual simulator where you can fight badguys. ignore if you're on a budget.

ME2

Zaeed - The Price of Revenge Free with CerbNet.

Kasumi - Stolen Memory included in the PS3 version.

Lair of the Shadow Broker included in the PS3 version.

Overlord included in the PS3 version.

The Arrival Counterpart to Bring Down the Sky. hard to talk about without going in to spoiler-territory, but the reapers are coming sooner than everyone thought. better than Overlord, worse than Shadow Broker.

the rest are just weapon-packs or alternative outfits. can be completely ignored (most of them are free with the CerbNet though).

ME3

From Ashes One mission where you pick up a prothean squadmate and learn some backstory.

Leviathan Track down a scientist across the galaxy, and learn plenty backstory about the Reapers. also gives you some new upgrade-types for your weapons.

Omega Work with Aria to retake Omega from Cerberus. the first "big" DLC for ME3, with a few hours of content, and new upgrade-types for your weapons.

Citadel the last hurrah, and to me the only indispensible DLC. the crew of the Normandy take shoreleave while the ship goes into drydock for an overhaul, and things get suitably interesting. several hours of content, new upgrade-types for your weapons and you get an apartment on the Citadel... the writers really went all out on this one with the humour.

so basically, at first just get Bring down the sky for ME1, Arrival for ME2 and Citadel for ME3.

Are these all the dlc you need to 100% trophies each game? Looks expensive.

I didn't even know ME1 had dlc, and its bullshit If it isn't already included in the game, since ps3 just got a me1 release not too long ago.

Edited by ifistbrowni

ME1

Bring Down the Sky - Pre-installed

Pinnacle Station - Not available in the PS3 version of ME1 due to the Source files being irretrievably corrupted.

ME2

Zaeed - The Price of Revenge - Free with new copies of the game but the pass has been withdrawn from the EU store so pre-owned users are out of luck.

Kasumi - Stolen Memory - Pre-installed

Lair of the Shadow Broker - Pre-installed

Overlord - Pre-installed

The Arrival - Must be bought separately

The rest are just weapon-packs or alternative outfits and can be ignored.

ME3

From Ashes - Free if you buy the ME 3 LE and redeem the code.

Leviathan - Must be bought separately

Omega - Must be bought separately

Citadel - Must be bought separately

The MP DLCs are mostly free but is only for hardcore players as they don't have trophies.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

ME1

The MP DLCs are mostly free but is only for hardcore players as they don't have trophies.

I would say that the free map/character DLCs should be downloaded by anyone (not just hardcore players) playing ME3's online to help them get Defender, Master & Commander, and any other trophies that can be done online, as having them all installed will increase your ability to find matches quickly.