Stuck on Kai Leng

karlie67

It depends a lot of your class and the teamates you bring with you. On my first attempt I was a soldier (level 60 or almost) on my insanity playthrough and I bring Garrus as second teamate, worst choices ever. I couldn't do it, it was impossible. No matter how hard I tried I was always down after a couple of seconds lol.

On my second attempt on beating insanity, I chose sentinel as class and for this mission I took Liara as second teamate. That was a lot more easier and it didn't took me long to defeat him. In fact the whole game on insanity was easy as a pie playing as a sentinel.

So a few tips : everything but soldier, and for this particular mission have Liara with you. She'll be very useful for this fight because of her powers. Use and abuse of them. Be sure to have a good equipement for you and your teamates too. And for each wave defeat every other enemy first before attacking him.

Good luck ! ;)

Ah I see.

I'm on just Normal mode, and I'm a level 33, Infiltrator.

I also just took James and EDI.

I'm now wondering if I am even going to be able to complete this.

I get to about the 3rd bash of the floor with the Phantoms and then I just crash out.

Seems really an impossible fight..I guess I can't change my squad now either..

If you can reach the final wave then keep insisting, you're almost there ! And since you're on normal mode and not insanity you can lower the difficulty in the options without bothering about not getting a difficulty related trophy.

Don't worry, the gameplay sequence and the whole battle area here is badly made and I'm sure a majority of players including ME veterans like me had difficulties with this boss battle. It's irritating but the feeling when you'll knock him down is really worth it so don't give up ! :D

Aha! I finally did it last night, I ended up shouting yay and obscenities at him :-)

It did feel really good you're right haha. I have no idea why they felt they had to make him just an asshole difficulty..I dare not try him on Insanity!

Now I just need to get past the Survival part that comes a while after him...sigh!

• 2 months later...

Note: 360 version here. I was a Soldier Class, with Reave (i think, maybe Warp) as an extra power. Either way, EDI is required, bring Liara or another Adept (somebody with Warp). EDI's overload will crush the Phantom's barrier and Liara can do some damage on Kai Leng. As a soldier, use adrenaline rush as often as you can. Also, I had the black widow.

Learn the pattern of the guys coming down, and don't give them a chance to get set.

• 7 months later...
Aha! I finally did it last night, I ended up shouting yay and obscenities at him :-)

It did feel really good you're right haha. I have no idea why they felt they had to make him just an asshole difficulty..I dare not try him on Insanity!

Now I just need to get past the Survival part that comes a while after him...sigh!

Kai Leng is quite doable even on Insanity, so you don't have to fear that one too much.

First of all, make sure to bring a squad member with crowd-control abilities and/or the capability to deal tremendous amounts of damage (e. g. James) or is able to use a sniper rifle (like Garrus) - or better yet, both (Ashley). Since EDI is a required squad member for this, bring along someone who can cause Tech Bursts as a second squad member (Ashley has Concussive Shots, Garrus can apply Overload, and James in turn can make good use of Carnage and Incendiary Ammo) - and with the right evolutions any powers become even more devastating.

In case your Shepard happens to be one of the biotic classes, you also have the option to bring someone with biotic capabilities instead (I would strongly recommend Liara in this case, because she can both prime and complete biotic explosions) - use that for a devastating effect.

Use all this to your utmost advantage, and if necessary you always have the option to respec anyone except for Javik beforehand aboard the Normandy. Also consider assigning an appropriate bonus feat that gives you yet another advantage in all this (either something to cause additional Tech Bursts - the more you can set up per time frame, the better) - or if that is more to your liking, select Defense Matrix for additional protection.

An Infiltrator using Tactical Cloak can also be devastating and also easily withdraw from trouble when cornered.

Furthermore, with the right mods, you can also bring a complete loadout of weapons without hampering your skills too much - and then switch between the sniper rifle, the assault rifle and the shotgun as appropriate (if you happen to have the Citadel DLC I also recommend that you obtain the Lancer: It works just like in ME1 so you don't need any thermal clips for it).

And again, if it's only Kai Leng left after he regenerated his shields for the third time, just run away and dodge - and let your squad mates do the damage. Normally he is after you at that stage so that would be your best bet.

Again, use Tactical Cloak or Adrenaline Rush to your advantage if you have it available.

That should make dealing with him a walk in the park - you still have very good chances to get rid of him in due time even if you have a less-than-optimal configuration.

Just make sure to eliminate any of Kai's lackeys that pop up as long as he is regenerating his shields - the more you get rid of before he resumes attacking you, the better - and when things are running particularly smoothly, it should only be Kai Leng left to cope with.

Edited by Thianis

So a few tips : everything but soldier, and for this particular mission have Liara with you. She'll be very useful for this fight because of her powers. Use and abuse of them. Be sure to have a good equipement for you and your teamates too. And for each wave defeat every other enemy first before attacking him.

Funny, because i think the Soldier is the easiest...

Struggled with Sentinel and Infiltrator.

And now with Soldier its a cakewalk.

Yeah it's funny how it differs from one person to another. I have been suffering a lot during all my playthrough on insanity and during this fight I couldn't survive for more than a couple of seconds. Soldier was perfect for ME2 but for ME3 it was so irritating for me that I had gave up on the game. I always regretted it (I sold my copy also) and since the PS+ gave us the game I decided to go back to it with a new class, and I succeeded. Also I purchased the rest of the DLC too. Now I'm officially reconciled with the game.

Sentinel was a lot of easier because of the extra armor power. No problem at all anywhere, I definitely recommend it. ;)