The journal is a waking nightmare.

Raregroove

Ha I know ! :D

I have played Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2 and I couldn't believe they regrouped the main missions & secondary tasks together and split the codex in two parts when I launched the game for the first time. I was kinda lost at the beginning as well. Weird decision IMO and not very practical...

actually this is how it works:

when you are on the Citadel, hit R3 to bring up the map and if you see a name on one of the floors at some location, that means you can talk to that person and deliver an item / start a new sidequest. Even the sidequests where you have to find terminals are displayed on the map so you don't need to check every floor of the Citadel.

Had a hard time running around the citadel too at the beginning until i found that out.

Of course, this doesnt help the fact that sidequests don't update in the journal, for example some volus gives you a quest to find some book on a planet.µEven if you found the item, the journal doesnt update. You'll only find out back at the Citadel if his name appears on the floor map.

actually this is how it works:

when you are on the Citadel, hit R3 to bring up the map and if you see a name on one of the floors at some location, that means you can talk to that person and deliver an item / start a new sidequest. Even the sidequests where you have to find terminals are displayed on the map so you don't need to check every floor of the Citadel.

Had a hard time running around the citadel too at the beginning until i found that out.

Of course, this doesnt help the fact that sidequests don't update in the journal, for example some volus gives you a quest to find some book on a planet.µEven if you found the item, the journal doesnt update. You'll only find out back at the Citadel if his name appears on the floor map.

similar to this i found on the BW forums

For the Journal issue someone on the Bioware boards came up with this idea

1. Go to all clusters, find 100% of all items in each cluster.

2. Return to Citadel.

3. Complete a "main level".

4. Go to each cluster that is now opened or is now at less than 100%. Find all items.

5. Return to Citadel.

6a. Go to Spectre terminal, buy all plot items.

6b. Bring up maps of Citadel and go to each section where there's a non-party member NPC listed.

7. Collect reward.

8. Repeat 3 through 7.

Exactly, thats how it works.

And one more tip for finding the items:

if you found something on a Solar System map but couldn't get it while the reapers are chasing you, you can do the following:

1) either escape and come back after completing a mission because the location will still be marked in red or even better:

2) if you're scanning for items but don't find them immediatetly and the awareness bar is at max level, just flee from the reapers as long as you can and spam the L2 button. If you find an item, just let yourself get caught.

You will restart in that Solar system and you can go back to the location where you found something and scan again. OF course, you just have to remember where it was as the location will always be the same.

Be careful thou, if you found something and recovered it but you are still missing something, getting caught will reset everything found in that system.