Multiplayer Packs - Which ones to buy

Endorenna

So, I started multiplayer yesterday, and I'm trying to unlock all the different class/race options because hey, it's fun, hehe. So far, I've only gotten those in the Recruit packs. Also, I'm wanting to unlock other appearance options--are those only in a particular pack?

Also, I've gotten a few upgrades for my wonderful little SMG a couple times, and some mods, but also only from the recruit packs. The special packs and the 20k packs have given me nothing but medigel/rockets/health recharge packs and such, which are nice, but easily accumulated.

So, yeah...as a starting MP player, what packs should I buy to unlock all the class/races, gun upgrades, and appearance options?

At first, stick with the Recruit packs until you level up the starting weapons to X. Winning a bronze match nets you about 15K which is 3 packs so you won't need to buy them for long (maybe 60-70 of them). In particular, the Mantis X and Avenger X are very solid because they are incredibly light for their damage output. I use the Mantis X for my infiltrators so they can constantly cloak and I have damage that is pretty comparable to a Widow. The Avenger X is a very solid gun and will keep power cool down at 200% (with the level 4 training power). Along the way of upgrading weapons, you will be getting a lot of human class cards so you will have a lot of customization options. You will also build up a nice supply of equipment very quickly.

For the other races, you will only reliably get them in the Veteran and Specter packs. I am kinda ambivalent on the Veteran packs after purchasing and being very pleased with limited-time Premium Veteran packs. The Specter packs offer at least a guaranteed rare, but they are very expensive. While it might be tempting to use rare weapons right away, their weights tend to be crippling to power-reliant classes.

Use the page below to see what pack will get you what item:

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer - Mass Effect Wiki - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, walkthroughs and more

Some weapons of note:

* Raptor (Uncommon) - essentially a Mattock with a scope. Great for long range and is very accurate in hip fire for short range killing. Equip with Piercing and Extended Barrel mods (both uncommon) to deal with armor quickly from long range.

* Carnifax (rare) - great backup weapon to assault rifles or SMGs. Adrenaline Rush + Carnifax (with Piercing and EB mod) will kill a brute very quickly. Very heavy, though.

Sounds good, thanks. :) Right now I'm playing an Adept, as that's the class I've kicked ass with in the SP campaign, but I'm looking forward to trying the other classes and not having to worry about power recharging quite as much, hehe. Nice that the equipment carries over from one character to another. Thanks very much. ^_^

My thoughts on the classes:

Adepts must cause constant biotic explosions, all of the time, to be successful. Humans will need to spam singularity+warp for grunts, warp+shockwave for anything with armor. Power cool down must be at or very close to 200% so that means none of the fancier guns. Drells can get away with a slower cool down with a high level Raptor or Viper because of Reave+Cluster Grenades. Asari have the ever valuable Stasis for Phantoms.

Soldiers really need good weapons to excel. Humans will probably eschew weight capacity altogether and go for weapon damage. Turians are probably the only species that make the Reverent viable (and fun). Krogans can be set up to be freaking tanks.

Engineers are great protection strippers. Humans should set up Overload to stun multiple enemies for awesome crowd control. Quarians can do crazy tech explosions with Cryo Blast+Incinerate. Salarians have the invaluable Decoy for tough enemies.

Sentinels have to juggle Tech Armor for their powers. Humans can set off their own Biotic Explosions while Turians can handle any kind of protection. A properly built Krogan will be extremely hard to kill if he leaves Tech Armor on all of the time (70% damage reduction while Raged).

Infiltrators thrive on Tactical Cloak. I like setting them all up for longer durations and Bonus Power. The maximum cloaking time allows you to arm/disarm objectives completely unmolested for lots of credits. Using a bonus power while cloaked is incredibly useful, especially for the Salarian (Energy Drain) and Quarian (Sabotage against Geth).

Vanguards can be a huge asset or really annoy the entire team. Humans should, unfortunately, probably just focus on Charge+Nova and a 200% cool down. Drell and Asari Vanguard won't be able to charge in as recklessly because of their lack of Nova but can use Charge as a finisher or escape. Also, please don't gloat on mic about how are scoring more than the entire team by constantly spamming Charge+Nova, especially if you want to be revived.

* Carnifax (rare) - great backup weapon to assault rifles or SMGs. Adrenaline Rush + Carnifax (with Piercing and EB mod) will kill a brute very quickly. Very heavy, though.

Reading this makes me very sad. Carnifex is one of the best pistol in the game, it's not a back up weapon. Carnifex will out damage most/all Assault rifles and all SMGs sucks. I use a Carnifex 5 on my Adept/Engineer and my power recharge speed is 170-190%. Using inferior weapons, just to have 200% power recharge, to shave off .1 to .3 seconds off you abilities isn't worth it. If you don't have a Carnifex, use a Pahlanx. Avenger is a decent weapon to use at the start.

Drells can get away with a slower cool down with a high level Raptor or Viper because of Reave+Cluster Grenades.

Drell Adept is a glass cannon class, having a slower cool down will hurt it. Better off with using a pistol. Spamming Pull+Reave and Reave on everything that moves.

Edited by Pichsterz

Reading this makes me very sad. Carnifex is one of the best pistol in the game, it's not a back up weapon. Carnifex will out damage most/all Assault rifles and all SMGs sucks. I use a Carnifex 5 on my Adept/Engineer and my power recharge speed is 170-190%. Using inferior weapons, just to have 200% power recharge, to shave off .1 to .3 seconds off you abilities isn't worth it. If you don't have a Carnifex, use a Pahlanx. Avenger is a decent weapon to use at the start.

Drell Adept is a glass cannon class, having a slower cool down will hurt it. Better off with using a pistol. Spamming Pull+Reave and Reave on everything that moves.

I find the Carnifex a bit of a liability on its own, especially if it's only at I (note that the OP is just starting MP). Very little spare ammo can be a liability in protracted battles like holding a hacking site, especially for beginners. For the human engineer, Overload does great against groups and easily spammed and Incinerate is better at dealing damage to armor so any light weapon will do. I like the Avenger for its general utility like for stripping shields for an Adept. If I can get the Mattock or Vindicator to X, then I will probably switch to that.

The reason why I like using the Raptor on the Drell Adept is to keep him away from the fray. With a scope, you can Reave from a very far distance and Reave+Cluster Grenade can take out a large group or large enemy quickly if they happen to spawn very close to you. When you first start with a Drell, however, you're not going to have any of those options so distance is probably the best bet.