So I really suck at fighting games

I am really really really bad with fighting games but I love them though. I love seeing them played and have always wanted to get in on the action but couldn't because my father wouldn't let me get them because they were a "waste of money." But now that i'm old enough to decide things for my self i've decided to start playing them. Only problem is, there isn't a single fighting game that is noob friendly. I have yet to see one that has a tutorial and i've played MVC3, SF4, SSF4, and Blazblue. Yet nothing. I'm disturbed that developers don't seem to find helping new players learn to play important. Only good thing about MVC3 in this regard is the simple mode. Makes combos easy but doesn't teach me how to play well.

It takes time and patience. I myself have never been good at any fighting games other than mvc2 and mvc3 and the amount of countless hours I spent in training mode in mvc2 is how I learned. Also, as you play more and more online you start recognizing teams and know what to expect so they don't catch you off guard anymore. Watch youtube videos ;]

Like the person above said it takes time, patience and ALOT of practice you won't learn everything to be a decent player overnight. You have to consistently play, learn the character(s) inside and out, learn combos, match ups etc. I agree it is fun to be apart of the action once you start learning but you can't expect to be doing anything flashy until you sit down and actually play.

Beginner friendly fighting games are indeed Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Blazblue, MvC3 more so. When i first started to seriously play it was with Blazblue: Calamity Trigger and despite the fact i sucked and mashed alot i still had fun and continued to play months on. After a while i started taking time out of my day to sit in training mode and practice combos until i feel as if i mastered the combo, learned set ups into the combos, etc.

So long as you become dedicated to the fighting game scene you'll slowly start to pick up on the fundamentals. Also look for players around your area to see if they can help give you a bit more guidance to start off, some communities would be more than happy to help you if it means building the fighting game scene.

Edited by Setsuna

Well, if you want to be better player, stop using Simple Mode, try to practice, see some combo on Youtube, and get started, try to lower the 'internet connection speed' on training mode just incase you want to use some 'timing required' combos

Simply, Practice makes better

No don't do that. Lowering the "connection speed" is meant for players to adjust to different types of lag but in actuality that just messes the persons timing up all together because they start to get comfort with the timing of lag which is not what you want. If you want to use "timing required" combos, look at combo videos first to make sure it actually connects and just keep practicing, learning it in real time is the way you should always practice.

I don't see how, adjusting the "speed" the game goes out to get the timing of a certain link doesn't help you with the ACTUAL timing of said link ... adjusting the speed really just lets you know the link works in the first place but if you're spending bundles of time into mastering the link you should already know if it works or not unless you are just trying to figure out your own unique combos.

If someone's having trouble with a combo its better to just practice it in increments and then performing the full combo once the player feels as if he has a full understanding about how each part of the combo works.

Edited by Setsuna

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to be able to trust someone well enough with my account to at least complete the trials in every fighting game that I own because I just can't pass those things to save my life.

As far as playing against others, it's really a matter of practice and adjusting your style to fit the game. I'm not great, especially when it comes to pulling off combos online, but I can at least keep up without doing a ton of damage to someone else at one time.

Just practice and take note of how you play. Playing online can be discouraging at first if you aren't matched up with the right people to help you improve though.

Edited by dembonez19

• 2 weeks later...
Blazblue Continuum Shift does have a tutorial. wat i dont lik most @ fighting games r trials/mission or wat ever name they have only plated blazblue calamity trigger cuz it have no trials. I'm not good @ trials have a damm hard time cuz i always sorta 2 slow @ input :( or accidently make tha wrong move .

trials / mission mode are great. at least i dont need to go find out what the BnB combos are for every char... but sadly, this game dont have a tutorial...

Haha, I am right there too. I am no good at this game, but I love it. xD I wonder if I will ever get to Fighter rank (or get those five wins in a row! xD), but I still plug away. I want to try to get those trophies ASAP, because I am already finding the wait time to be five minutes or so for ranked matches to kick in.

After that, I figure I can do the rest offline and try to figure out the inner workings.

My biggest problem is that I have to reteach myself the button layouts. Because I want to say triangle or square instead of medium or light, haha. Which reminds me: blocking. Anyone have any tips and techniques for me? I am a very offensive player, but that is not a particularly good strategy for this game. Dx