Question for experienced "nudgers"

TopsideKracker

When you nudge, which direction are you pressing? For example, you're about to lose a ball down the left side and are going to attempt a death save... do you nudge to the right, up, or both (diagonal) for the best results?

Diagonal would seem ideal to me since that's the direction you're attempting to go in, but I haven't been able to be consistent with this and just want to make sure I'm even using the correct technique. Thanks in advance.

Edited by TopsideKracker

When you nudge, which direction are you pressing? For example, you're about to lose a ball down the left side and are going to attempt a death save... do you nudge to the right, up, or both (diagonal) for the best results?

Diagonal would seem ideal to me since that's the direction you're attempting to go in, but I haven't been able to be consistent with this and just want to make sure I'm even using the correct technique. Thanks in advance.

Diagonal (up and right, per your example), and don't forget to lift the left flipper. Also I use the right stick, but that's just my personal preference.

I use left stick. i find it a bit easier than right stick

And yes while nudging up the stick, not down or left or right. it took me a while to figure out when i was new to this game (zen pinball 1) xD

Think of it this way; you are moving the machine, not the ball. If you want the ball to go to the right, nudge to the left, and visa versa.

Does hitting the flipper button when nudging actually do anything though?

I agree that you're moving the machine, but you still want to nudge in the direction you want the ball to go. You're actually pushing the ball with the machine. So if you have the ball on the left flipper and want it nudged to the right, you let it slide down the left a bit, then nudge to the right. Nudging to the left will only pull the machine out from under the ball. I guess when the machine snaps back it could push the ball over with the same result, but I find nudging in the direction you want it to go works best for me.

As for the flipper, we were talking about a bang back (which is different from a death save). You nudge as a ball is about to drain from an outlane. If its draining from the left outlane, it will roll to the right before being lost. So at the last second you nudge at an upward right diagonal. You lift the left flipper to get it out of the way. Otherwise it'll just hit the bottom of that flipper and drain out.

I think a death save has to do with nudging straight up when the ball is draining after rolling between the 2 flippers. I'm not sure this can be accomplished in video pinball. There are videos of both out there somewhere, but the death save video I saw was on a real pinball machine. The dude smacked the machine right below the flippers straight up and the ball shot out of the hole???

I just looked this up. Some people consider bang backs and death saves to be the same thing, and some people say they're 2 different things. I call them bang backs based on the trophy description for one of the Avengers trophies. Call it what you want, saving a ball this way is almost as good as an extra ball. I'd say I can pull this off on 60 to 70% of outlane drains. It really helps with trophies and high scores.