Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom - Road Map

http://i.imgur.com/rGHwdht.png

Road Map

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 7/10

-Offline (breakdown): 13 (9 (B), 4 (S))

-Online (breakdown): 3 (3 (B))

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: 25-35 Hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 Ancient Tales, 1 (2 Is Suggested) Motion Mode, 100 Infinity Layouts & 50 Online Games

-Number of missable trophies: None

-Glitched trophies: None

-Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No Cheats

Introduction

Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom is a fun little title for those who enjoy play Mahjong by giving you tons of new challenges, different game types and so much more. For those who are unfamiliar with Mahjong, it's basically an ancient version of solitaire using tiles instead of cards. You're presented with a pile of Mahjong tiles that feature icons as well as numbers and are often arranged in some sort of pattern or shape; you need to match tiles that can be moved without disturbing the other game pieces. Once you match two tiles, you clear them from the board and move on. The goal is to clear all the tiles before running out of matches. The concept is simple, entertaining, and great for killing time as well as challenging your mind with some of the puzzles.

Walkthrough

Step 1: Play Through Ancient Tales Mode

Select Ancient Tales and play through all 5 tales of it (45 total levels). Once you complete all the tales, you will pick up Why Stop With Just One? & Sage. While playing, also try to aim for the misc side trophies as well:

• Don't use any hints in the in the first tale - Didn't Buy A Clue
  • Finish a level in under 2:00 - Speed Reader
  • Get 2500 remaining tiles points in a level - Score!
  • Get 5-quick matches if you can - Quick On The Draw
  • Make 2000 matches (will come from just playing) - Matchmaker

All 5 of those are definitely possible and easiest to be done during this step so make sure you definitely aim for them while playing!

Step 2: Play 100 Layouts In Infinity Mode

This is going to be a HUGE grind, but thankfully it won't be very difficult, just slightly time consuming. Select Infinity Mode and just start playing through the different layouts there. Once you finish a level, the ying-yang symbol in the bottom right corner of that level will turn gray, showing you that it has been played and finished. Easiest method I can tell you to getting through it faster is to constantly use the hint button (:square:). Select hint, make the match that it shows you and then repeat until you either finish the level or run out of matches. BE CAREFUL of spamming the :square: button immediately after making a match because if you do run out of moves, hitting square at the "Out Of Moves" pop-up menu will reset the level back to the beginning forcing you to redo it. Instead, go a little slower between matches and when faced with "Out Of Moves", make sure to select "Reshuffle" as it will re-arrange the remaining tiles and let you keep going. As long as you remove all the tiles within the 3 shuffles it gives you (which if you're using my method, it should never be an issue), it will count as the level being completed when you're done. Once you complete the 100 levels, you will get Can't Get Enough & Infinity And Beyond.

Step 3: Play Motion Mode

Motion Mode can get tricky as you don't have the luxury of sitting back and planning your moves you do in the traditional type games. There are 45 levels in Motion Mode that you need to complete. During this run through it, you want to make sure you do not lose a life during the entire 45 stages. This can be a pain but if you focus on using the tips presented in the trophy guide & use power-ups, then it can be made easier. The most helpful tip I can give you as well is to quit to the main menu after you successfully complete a level without dying, save your save data to a USB stick or something off your hard drive, then move on to the next level. This way if you die in the next stage, you can just copy your last good save data back to your PS3 and try again. MAKE SURE TO SAVE/COPY AFTER EVERY SUCESSFUL STAGE! Once you make it through all 45 levels without dying, you will pick up Dragon Slayer & Who Needs Sleep?. Also if you've been following the guide up to this point, you will also net Who's The Master (Requires "Dragon Slayer", "Sage" & "Can't Get Enough")

*Note: You can try to obtain all 3 related to Motion Mode in this initial playthrough, but it can be extremely difficult, which is why I suggest doing 2 playthroughs. If you are going to attempt it in one run, than make sure that you use NO power-ups at all during any of the stages.

Step 4: Play Motion Mode Again

*This step is optional if you obtained all the trophies during the last one*

Play through Motion Mode again, but this time you are aiming at using NO power-ups. This is another one that is going to take a lot of patience and practice. See the trophy guide for tips on making it easier. Once you are able to complete them all without power-ups, you will get I Don't Need No Stinking Power-Ups.

Step 5: Play Online

You will need to play 50 online games. While playing the online games, you want to make sure that you win 25 games & 5-in-a-row. Easiest method is to find a boosting partner in the Trophy Boosting Thread and to boost these. Have one person make a room and the other join him, than after you start the match, have one quit. Repeat 25 times each (so a total of 50 games total between you) and that will net you Come Out And Play, The Gunslinger, & The Duelist.

Note: If you have the DLC addon, then make sure that 10 of the games have custom layouts as it will knock out one of the trophies in the DLC list.

Step 6: Clean Up

At this point you should have all the trophies but if not, than go back and clean up any missing ones.

LINK TO TROPHY GUIDE: Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom Trophy Guide

Edited by Terminator
Removed redundant formatting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I was talking with a friend trying to slam through the infinity mode and realized there is a slight trick that not many people know.

The hints come in a somewhat predictable manner. I'm not sure of the entire order, but I know the items the hints will choose LEAST. What this means is that when I see the hint recommend that I choose them, I know I have little to no matches remaining, and to be wary of mashing the square button, lest I restart the match.

The final two steps the hint will avoid is Plants, then Weather. If I see a match for weather on the board, I know I can continue to quickly mash through the hint button, until I see a weather match be hinted. If there is a weather AND a plant match, I know I am nearing the end when I come to plants, but I still have a weather match following.

Using this knowledge to your advantage in the infinity mode helps it go much quicker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...