Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers

Do people actually play entire games?

The only games I've finished online are the games I've lost. If I'm winning the other player just quits! It's happened 4 times now and it's putting me off the game altogether.

Have I just been unlucky and come across the 4 rudest online players in one afternoon, or is this behaviour commonplace? I want to play a full game, win or lose. Does that happen?

• 2 months later...

I've still got all my decks for RL magic and I'd tend to agree that if I know I'm screwed from the start I'll probably go with a much more agressive approach even if it will end up killing me quicker. I'd probably do the same online but I stick to my guns in the fact that I don't quit my games, I just tend to play more reckless when its a no-win situation.

My suggestion to you would be to find some people online (here, PSN, wherever) that share your same ideals and friend them. I'd gladly play you all in but I'm not a full-time PS+ member (how I got the game) and I only have something like 25ish days left on my sub. Not to mention I just started playing last night when it was put up so i've only unlocked about 3 cards and 2 decks.

I always play until the winner is decided. Suddenly a card can change the game to your advantage. :)

Usually fiddling with my own planeswalkers on the side while waiting for games.

The game is a good way to stay in shape with the rules, since I don't play that often anymore. However, the games does use too much logic, not any "on the stack" effect of most fun cards. But then again, the decks are limited in both editing and cards in general. Not saying the decks do not work well, but they should really open up for some Urza or similar oldies/goodies. Also I have a bunch of better elves than the ones Nissa use. Just saying. :) :p

Back on topic: I haven't had anyone quit on me yet, but if they do quit early, just take it as "you beat them early" instead of "they suck", because you get the win and an unlocked card, AND both you and they get to restart a new game straight off.

However, I do see your point, winning by reversing 120 damage does give more of a satisfaction. (Not an option in this game, I'm talking the regular cardgame)

Winning by a mile. Get's boring after a while though, especially in this game. Limited decks, only fun for so long winning with the same cards over and over like you have to to unlock all cards in the game. Quitting early in this game: Good for all parts, in my opinion.

I love that people can concede games. Why would I want to keep someone playing out the string if I know I can't win?

I did have one person "rage quit" in the worst way, though. They guy overran me, but apparently counted wrong, and only did 15 damage (I had 16 life). I was going to win on the next turn (he had no blockers), and I suddenly "lost contact with the host". I'm pretty sure he just pulled his internet, and you don't get the win that way.

Man wanna talk about taking the block card sets back a bit lets go to Tempest. That was probably my favorite block as it introduced what ended up becomming my best deck, The Slivers.

Oh man, I have nightmares about Slivers decks. Stupid little 1/1 creatures grow up to be so strong when you get enough of them out. Thank god there's not a similar deck in this game.

You still get the win.

What is weird about this game is that when it loses connection it doesn't seem to boot you. I've had it loads of times where the timer just runs down and then nothing happens. I can still see my cards, chat to the other players on the mike, but the game has just stopped.

If you wait out the other players, sometimes they will concede and then the game seems to start up again. I've had this happen to me in a 4-player where I was about to die from an attack. Everyone got bored, conceded and I got the win.

I don't know if its just the servers or impatient players but I can never get 3 and 4-player games. I should clarify that on the off-chance I do find a room that has enough people and all are willing to play, it often takes a few minutes to load up the game (will say waiting on other players, ect) and if we actually make it in I usually find myself in a 3-player board going 1-on-1. I'd say that game connection error messages are more typical though but either way I'd love to get large games going and people never seem to hang around for em.

I don't quit, i lost a game at -23 Health once. Awesome game though.

But the rage quitters always seem to be the ones with the Beardy Decks;

-Master of Shadows (Black Deck)

-Relics of Doom (Blue/Black Artifact Deck)

Everytime i start to win with the Ears of the Elves deck, they quit!

Really depends. If I'll miss or make it harder for me to obtain a trophy, I'll leave without a flinch. If the game is a fighting game (BlazBlue) I usually play through and through without a doubt. If it's gonna be a long play that I already know it's outcome, then I see no point in continuing.

So yeah, it depends.

I finish my games always. If I know I'll lose I'll try and play more defensive and extend the inevitable just to annoy my oppenent ;)

But all except 1 of my ranked victories have come against quitters. The only time I managed to beat someone who stayed was that I surprised them with a spell to get their life under 0. Whenever I attack with my creatures for the win they quit ;) I still get the win and ranking points / trophies so I don't mind them quitting ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm reviving a relatively dead thread here... but I've just experienced this game's online first hand.

I've conceded a game I knew I couldn't possibly win (I was on 4 life while my opponent had nearly 20) but I did it knowing he still got a win and that it saved me having to sit there while he killed me. What bothers me is people who DISCONNECT when they're losing since that doesn't count as a win.

I don't have the DLC decks (limiting my choice of decks) and I'm not very good at Magic (this game is my introduction to the series and pretty much card fighting in general). The least anyone could do if I'm beating them- fairly- is accept defeat.

But no: some jerk who has the DLC decks thinks it's better to completely disconnect when my elves beat his vampires even though I'd barely managed to turn the fight around and finally had him on the ropes.

It's because of people like these that I rarely play online games and it's also why I don't see anything wrong with boosting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well , seems that many , many players don't know the decks very well , and I lost count of how many times i managed to turn around the game , playing well and take the right decisions , normally i always play a full game, what really annoys me are people that at the end of the game you have like 1 2 life and the guy can kill you so easy coz u are screwed and then he wants before kill you , play a land , put dow a card , use enchantments and whatever he can do before instead than just go and kill , when someone start like that I just leave the game !!

Edited by Mineirinho_JF

what really annoys me are people that at the end of the game you have like 1 2 life and the guy can kill you so easy coz u are screwed and then he wants before kill you , play a land , put dow a card , use enchantments and whatever he can do before instead than just go and kill , when someone start like that I just leave the game !!

I usually do that to a) Rub in the fact "I won, you lost.". :p but b) Just in case you have a card that could turn around the game.

I have had games where I have been close to dead, used Wrath of God and ended up winning as most of his good creatures were killed by the Wrath of God and most of my good creatures starting coming after it. Better late than never.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a cool game last night, was playing liliana deck against some DLC deck (i dont know it;s name dont have dlc yet) and before i crushed my oponent i made him discard all cards in hand using mind rot and 2 rats - he had to be angry :D

• 3 weeks later...