Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers

Does the AI cheat?

pmm_fin

i don't think so. i've had games where the AI was short on creatures/land but only after the game has progressed through the first few turns. really depends on luck. never really felt cheated from losing. the # of cards shrinks as the AI uses it so it's not like the rules are one-sided

• 3 weeks later...

I've played about a hundred hands now and yeah, I think the AI stacks the deck. I also find my own hands either mana heavy or mana light, almost never in the middle. Alot of the time I find the AI getting the same combos off over and over and over again, where I've never been able to use many of them.

Most of the decks are useless too. Its quickly turning boring having to win with the same deck 20 times to unlock everything, especially when the decks suck, except against specific others, so to unlock everything you gotta play too much and there is no fucking way I'm paying to unlock shit.

• 3 months later...
It appears that AI is never seriously land starved. Up to turn 5 or 6 he seems to always be able to play more lands while I find myself with 2 or 3 even after choosing a better starting hand. It's extremely apparent while playing co-operative mode while you can observe two human players against two AI.

That's one thing I noticed, too. Even in three color decks, the AI always seems to get out the necessary mana (usually by turn 3).

It seems like, during the campaign at least, the AI almost always starts out with the same hand. I usually either get land starved or land flooded, almost never a perfect middle ground.

The only AI I've really seen that's a pain is the final battle (haven't played the expansions yet), but it's mostly just because almost every card in his deck compliments every other card, which just pisses me off more that we barely have any control over the cards in our decks.

Yesterday I was winning pretty easy when suddenly the A.I. somehow managed to get 2 turns in a row....I looked through A.I.'s graveyard to see if i missed any card being played that would have granted it an extra turn but I didn't see anything, and with those 2 turns he tipped the battle in his favour and while I could have finished him if he didn't get 2 turns, I had to struggle to win the battle after he cheated :S

AI is cheatin' lightly.

When I played monowhite against monowhite. It was great duel.

When our decks were halft, damn 6/6 dear returned on table next turn after AI played wraith of god. It was 1 card of 30 in his deck, shuffled in. Only one thing helped Pacifism, but anyway I lost with 87 hp, my library was empty. AI ended game with 3 hp.

Feels like it does more than anything else though it's on the fricken Co-Op campaign I'm at the fifth battle and I come close many times to winning than they drain all my health but like two and some stupid magic card screws me and I lose yet again I've tried at least thirty time by now and it's getting annoying. On top of that I get cards I can't use a lot but the AI constantly summons things, constantly uses health draining cards or steals my monsters. That seems to happen over and over again.

Feels like it does more than anything else though it's on the fricken Co-Op campaign I'm at the fifth battle and I come close many times to winning than they drain all my health but like two and some stupid magic card screws me and I lose yet again I've tried at least thirty time by now and it's getting annoying. On top of that I get cards I can't use a lot but the AI constantly summons things, constantly uses health draining cards or steals my monsters. That seems to happen over and over again.

Get compatible decks, make sure you have a nice mix of mana/monsters in your hand and just save your removal cards for the right moment.

of course the AI cheats its made that way, what deck to use to beat the last boss? the starter green DOESNT work, i think its made to make you buy cards from the store, it doesnt even give much points either like over 500 with the dlc

Another favorite of mine is when I draw 8 or more (13 was the most Ive had) lands in a row... while the AI has/gets the perfect cards to dismantle anything Ive put out and regain most if not all lost life. This has happened several times to many to consider it coincidence or just plain bad luck.

of course the AI cheats its made that way, what deck to use to beat the last boss? the starter green DOESNT work, i think its made to make you buy cards from the store, it doesnt even give much points either like over 500 with the dlc

I beat him in two tries with the green deck. And you get practically all new cards for that deck by just playing. I got my last new one in this fight.

• 2 weeks later...

The AI may not cheat in which cards it gets but it doesn't bother disguising the fact it can see your deck. It's far too perfect in its use of certain abilities- always aiming for the deck where I don't want to lose any cards when it uses Ravenous Rats in co-op.

Other times I'll try to lure a blue deck into using persuasion or boomerang on a relatively strong card (that has had persuasion almost immediately used on it in other games) and it'll wait until I put out the one I've been saving... even if it's on the same turn.

On the other hand it also makes intentional mistakes on low difficulties like not attacking when it could obviously get away with it and inefficiently using creatures with attack abilities (eg pyromancers). Occasionally even when it could end the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
It appears that AI is never seriously land starved. Up to turn 5 or 6 he seems to always be able to play more lands while I find myself with 2 or 3 even after choosing a better starting hand. It's extremely apparent while playing co-operative mode while you can observe two human players against two AI.

The AI sure seemed to be a cheating son of a bitch when I played this.

• 4 months later...

I didn't find that the AI was necessarily cheating but there are some interesting quirks and departures from the normal rules. For example, once someone cannot draw a card (by having no library to draw from), the rules are supposed to be that that player loses. In the co-op campaign, I forced one of the players out of a library and they started drawing from their graveyard. It wasn't until I had both of the opponents out of cards that they lost.