XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
TheRealMacKay

Another example is Tessio in The Godfather, almost exactly the same thing.

There were so many ways it could've ending, I was expecting them to be arrested when they left the observatory. As soon as Leo said "Vito, you're with me", I was thinking "Joe get in the same car as them!!" He came across as a prick in all the trailers and everything, but it's a testament to the writing and actor how you actually grow to him and are gutted when that happens.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
darklingpersona

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Well, Vito and Joe got themselves out of plenty of hairy situations. I like to imagine Joe somehow getting the upper hand on those guys in the car with him.

Then Joe shows up at the cathouse. Vito sees him as he's coming in and goes up to confront him, words are spoken between them, and Vito shows his loyalty to Joe resulting in a shootout between the two of them and Leo's men.

In the end the two of them takedown Leo and his men, escape the arriving police, and hightail it to the train station, hop aboard and skip town.

That's what I would have liked to see.

Proudest Platinum: Dead Space 2 - Proudest PSN 100%: Fat Princess
darklingpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
Burfid

I was kinda hoping Vito would've expected the backstabbing and been ready to shoot everyone in the car. 1 to the guy next to him 1 in Leos forhead and one to the back of the drivers skull causing him to drive off the road and into the water...similar things have been done before but it wouldve been a much better ending than him just giving up like that.
Gold: 90pts
Platinum: 180pts
Burfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
JackmoveJohnny

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze   Bronze Submission   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Did anyone else think that Luca was goin to show up again??? The way they did it made it look like he escaped alive.
JackmoveJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Liquid-Arikardo

From what I gathered from the story was that you where going to the observatory so that Carlo could take you out right? Sure he was going to get Joe to do it as a way of Joe saving himself.

Maybe Leo caught wind of this and knew that Joe would now be a potential liability because he had accepted to kill Vito?

In any case I was gutted when we knew Joe was going to die. As soon as Leo said 'Vito, your with me' I knew that was the end for Joe.

I feel that Carlo never really needed to be taken out and it was all a power play by Vinci and Leo for control of the city.

Would like to see sone DLC answering some questions and giving us closure to be honest.

Was a decent ending though and fits with many mob films.

2012 Trophy Goal: Finally Platinum Skyrim

'Hold your own. Know your name. Go your own way.'
Liquid-Arikardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #16
T-K47x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODCHILD1020 View Post
Thanks Woody.

The ending was a disappointment. Left some questions unanswered after you and Joe leaves the observatory. The game just ends with Joe & Vito going in different directions in 2 separate cars. okay so right.

1. What Cat-house did they go to and why didnt they show them entering the cat-house and Vito spazzing on them about the separation?
  2. How did they kill Joe, or did they kill Joe? Assuming he looks back & question why are they going different ways.
  3. Where did they take Joe? Does he live and go after Leo & the other Chinese guy for trying to kill him.
  4. Does Vito kill Leo for killing Joe & why wasn't there a To be continued.. for such an opened ending.
  5. What happens to Vito after Joe's death.
The ending could have gone so much further then just the cars going in different directions & then credits.Show what happen. I would have rather see a Multi-ending game then just this cheap ending.

The little problems with the game is they tried to go real, but when you honk the horn the hands stay on the wheel. When you put your car in the garage, its go black and you just pop up, why not drive the car in and out.

They say what happens to the mother, but why wasn't there a mission for you to see her Grave sight (To pay his respect)and you end up getting set up, why set the house on fire.

As stated before i wished they kept the multiple endings and then just pick this one.I hope there will be DLC to justify the ending.
Maybe they tried to leave it for a sequel maybe? Tbh I was also disappointed with the game aswell, this is because it was being developed for a while and for it to only be like a 10 hour campaign thats pretty poor tbh, I was expecting the game to be a very in depth Gangster GTA type game but it felt quite linear and pretty weak. The combat and the cover system was pretty poor aswell. Glad I rented it tbh.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
Prax

I don't understand the problem with having an open-ended ending, really. It leaves you to come up with your own assumptions and it leaves the story simmering in your head after you've played it. I'm not saying it's the "Inception" of video games, just that it's a nice change.

The way I see it, Vito made mistakes and caused a lot of shit in the city, but he was generally the guy taking care of things for guys like Eddie, Joe and Henry. They were the ones taking him along for these things and Leo knew this, because he knew Vito. Joe, on the other hand, was the instigator for a lot of these missions and really just a troublemaker. Leo probably assumed that if he let him live, he would just get Vito into more trouble and cause more shit for his family.

On another level, it's a message to keep people away from a life of crime. No matter how much money, how many nice cars and beautiful woman and stylish clothes the mafia gets you, you can never truly be happy. You always live on edge and you always run the risk of dying or losing those close to you. In the end, Vito lost everything. His parents are dead, his sister hates him, he's alienated or killed every mob family in the city and his best friend is dead. Nothing is left for Vito in the end.

And based on that, I don't see the reason for being able to continue playing after the end of the game.

I think the devs were pretty clear on this one in saying that the "open world" was more there to give us an ambiance, an idea of where we are. The result? They built a beautiful city, honestly better looking and more "real" than any GTA game, even 4. They built a story that, although very derivative of a lot of gangster movies, was very well told and felt like a movie, and a fun game to play. It could have been longer, with more side missions and stuff like that, and for that it does lose points as an overall game. Hell, more side missions might have added more to the story. But they do tell a good story of a man and his journey through trying to make something of himself and consistently making the wrong decisions.

I'd give the story a solid 8.5 out of 10... I really liked the ending and felt it was the best possible choice, and that it didn't need more explanation, and while a few more side missions and exploring possibilities could have given us a better feel for the timeline and overall story, I don't think it takes away from the game.

Gameplay would be a 7 out of 10. I thought the game was fun and kept itself fresh throughout, with limited repetition for missions. There was a bit too much driving all things considered, and some side missions, again, would have been a nice touch, but I've played worse games in my life.

Graphics/etc would be a 6.5 out of 10. I loved the look of the city, but the faces were annoying and the game was pretty glitchy and sometimes took away from the game.

Overall this is a 7.5 out of ten, pretty good, a fairly easy platty and potential with DLC and a sequel, but it could have been a lot better.
Prax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
Wolfenstein1945

The end was sad but perfect.That's Mafia,a society of consequences,once you enter in it you can't leave.

Wolfenstein1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
TheRealMacKay

It was also good how it didn't over state your importance, you are always just a soldier, except maybe the last few, but you're still pretty low down the ranks. Also most games let you accumulate everything you get over the full course of the game, but it was well worked how occasionally you lose everything (I was so gutted when I lost my suits!) and are struggling for money. The payment system for missions was good, how you never end up particularly rich, and most of the money you make is owed to other people.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
Motorizer17

Ugh... just finished the story and the ending was pretty bad. The problem with open endings is that your relying on a follow up to complete the story and although Mafia 3 might happen, I far from certain and it'll probably be on the Playstation 4 if they take as long as they did with this one. Also... why no free roam after the game ends? It's not as if Vito dies... or does he? I didn't fully understand the ending
Motorizer17 is offline   Reply With Quote