good? free ps plus

dittyeating

I personally have loved the MAFIA series but I can imagine a lot of people on here will dislike MAFIA II for its collectibles.

However I think the game is fantastic and has some of the best/most fun driving physics I've ever played -- even rivalling GTA IV, imo. You can modify cars too and save them in garages.

The police system is also one of the most intuitive I have seen from a game and I could possibly go as far as saying that it beats GTA in this aspect.

As for your question, it's a sort of hybrid of open-world and linear story progression. In fact, the only thing that disappointed me about the game was the lack of an actual free roam mode. I still go back to it occasionally for a little drive (which is saying something, as I rarely ever go back to a game for anything after I complete it). What I've done is do a mission select to a particular point near the end of the story where I have my desired cars, clothes and lots of cash and saved the game there. This effectively acts as my "free roam" start point. ;)

The game is purely mission based, however you are free to deviate from the mission and explore the entire map at leisure (perhaps excluding any missions which involve tailing or a time limit -- I don't recall for sure). In fact, you will have to go off on a ramble in order to collect all the wanted posters. These are scattered around, mostly away from missions, which makes it seem even more odd that the game lacks a free roam mode.

Nevertheless, a guide will make these no more of a hindrance than any other games with collectibles. The other collectibles are Playboy magazines which there are much less of and I believe are all located within mission areas, mostly along your main path.

Overall I think it would be a sin to pass this one up for free. All it needs is a proper free roam and maybe something multiplayer based and I know this game would be a lot more popular. I'm gutted now that I purchased it from the store only a few months ago.

absolutley brilliant game, i can finally fininsh off the collectables now for the plat knowing that its free on psplus next month.

Yes it is an open world and yes it is GTA like, i think the story lines and carachters are really strong and even the scripts are brilliant with some amazing one liners that will make you chuckle.

Get it downloaded, dont take it too seriously and enjoy what is a amazingly well written and throughly enjoyable game

• 2 weeks later...

... first it was Sleeping Dogs, then this :) Although I have been keeping an eye on this title for quite sometime (prior to PS Plus), there were some trophies that sort of put my ability to 100% in doubt... then there is that side of me that simply tells me to just freaking do it!... so I did...

I hope I won't be sorry later on when I fully take on the wanted posters and those DLC crazy 1,000 miles and 1,000,000 points...

Though part of your PS Plus package, I've noticed that these so called "free games" have a catch - they are DLC heavy! I remember having to buy a Full Package version (pre-owned) of Saints Row III recently coz it is much cheaper to get the disc than download the DLCs... ended up spending for the Sleeping Dogs DLC but which has quite a "Squeenix" touch about it (meaning DLCs are cheap and not all are tied up with trophies)... now Mafia II with both costing just a little under £14.00...

BUT if you just go for the platinum and care less about the 100%... heck yeah surely worth it. Superb "Hollywood standard" story telling. The game is not too hard either, just 1 trophy on the main story (though doable) that's quite a concern...

-----

EDIT: Just found out that Mafia 2 has a "full version" re-labeled as Playstation Essentials. On an e-Bay a brand new copy just cost under £17.00 and it has all the 4 style packs (which means more unique premium cars) as well as all level DLCs. So based on how much the 2 digital DLCs cost, I think it's better to ignore the PS Plus and go for the disc FULL version. THAT IS if you are a completionist (100% player).

Edited by Naps

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...