Puzzle Mode Tip

jqtaxpayer

Puzzle Mode is probably the most difficult part of Lumines Supernova and, in my opinion, the least fun, so I wanted to make it a little easier on myself and found a method that others might find helpful.

First, I looked at the puzzle select menu and sketched the puzzle onto a piece of graph paper.

Consider Puzzle #49, "Typhoon Mark":

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/jqtaxpayer-albums-illustrations-picture438-typhoonmark.jpg

Here, I've colored the puzzle red and have broken it down into 4x4 blocks, which makes it much easier to digest. At this point, it's just a matter of looking at the block you're given, matching it up with the blocks on the diagram, and putting it where it belongs.

It's not a glitch, it's not an exploit, it's not magic pixie dust that you sprinkle on your controller. It's just a little tip that I'm finding is making Puzzle Mode a great deal easier for me and may help someone else out there.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

Those having trouble with the Cyclist puzzle in the Super Hard tier should be aware that there is a bug that prevents the game from registering completion if you have done the puzzle a certain way...

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/jqtaxpayer-albums-illustrations-picture439-cyclistglitch.jpg

The orange blocks would be the same color that you're building the puzzle out of, and are highlighted here for clarity. Supporting the puzzle with the blocks illustrated on the right-hand side of the image is the only way to complete the Cyclist puzzle.

I struggled with the cyclist too. I had a double down there for support. Then I came across this thread. However, before I got it right I tried to do it with the coloured part of the "L-support" on the right hand side. It doesn't work either! So theres the bug with the I-block and also with the L flipped with the coloured part to the right.

BTW, speaking of bugs. Have you had the bug where you get "Failed" before the block even enters the screen? I've had that both when i tried to move or rotate it before it entered the screen, and also all by itself without me touching anything. I get that a lot. And the game has frozen on me several times during startup and upon entering the menus. Kind of annoying..

• 4 weeks later...
I struggled with the cyclist too. I had a double down there for support. Then I came across this thread. However, before I got it right I tried to do it with the coloured part of the "L-support" on the right hand side. It doesn't work either! So theres the bug with the I-block and also with the L flipped with the coloured part to the right.

BTW, speaking of bugs. Have you had the bug where you get "Failed" before the block even enters the screen? I've had that both when i tried to move or rotate it before it entered the screen, and also all by itself without me touching anything. I get that a lot. And the game has frozen on me several times during startup and upon entering the menus. Kind of annoying..

I've never had lumines freeze - its really stable on my 2006 60g.

Yeah, you definitely need the filler block in the lower-left of the open area, or it wont work :S

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with the 4x4 block puzzle in the easy set. Is the only on I'm needing to complete in the easy set.

I usually get to this point:

x x

x x

x x

xxxx

Thats where I get stuck as to complete it i need a full colour and a half colour which is a difficult combo to get one after the other. Is there an easier way to do this that I haven't spotted or is it just down to pure dumb luck?