Games like Limbo?

dmsdq

So Limbo is probably my favorite game ever (even with its short length), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of games similar in concept and/or play style?

On the one hand, I would love to play some more artistic games that had a completely unique world to work in. Limbo's eerie black and white tableaux were beautiful to play in, and really set the tone for the game.

On the other hand, I am also looking for some good puzzle games that force me to think laterally. Some of the puzzles in Limbo were really challenging, and I loved that. =) Because of Limbo (and Tomb Raider, actually), I have snatched up other puzzle games like Catherine and Portal, but I need MOAR!

Thank you for your time! =)

You must see all the puzzles games out there... more than a dozen are pretty good, now i can remember:

Brain (a very nice one)

Trine 1&2

Shadow Complex (sadly xclusive for 360)

Outland (like it mentioned above)

The missadventures of Mr Winterbottom (simply my favorite)

Blue Toad

etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would recommend Rochard, which came out on PSN in the fall. It is similar to Limbo in that it is a puzzle game, but the atmosphere is much different. The plot is more sci-fi as it takes place in the future on another planet. I thought that it also had a decent story with good voice acting. The puzzle portions are reminiscent of Limbo since there are some where you manipulate gravity and move crates. You also have to move around fuses to activate/deactivate forcefields, lasers and other objects. There are also lots of encounters with enemies, with shooting and the like to keep it interesting. Overall I really enjoyed Rochard; moreso than Limbo.

I like the puzzle suggestions, but are there any that fit the atmosphere as well? It doesn't even have to be a puzzle game ... just something that is breathtaking in its art direction or environments?

Outland has some incredible art and visuals. In a way it is almost the exact opposite of Limbo. Whereas the Limbo environments were very basic and use only black and white, Outland uses a lot of bright, beautiful colors. It is one thing that I really enjoyed about the game. On the gameplay side, I don't think that Outland really offers any puzzles like Limbo. It is much more of a straightforward platform game where you gain more and more abilities as you progress. It is one of my favorite games that I've played from the PSN.

Here is a link to a few screenshots:

Outland Images - GameSpot.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just started playing Limbo after finally picking it up while it was on sale. I've played it for maybe 45 minutes and no idea what is to come.

But thus far I was instantly reminded of Heart of Darkness for PS1; I do believe it also came out on PC.

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus is also worth mentioning.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem you will find is that limbo explored areas that developers don't often explore. On the back of that, the minimalist art-noire grey-scale that 'Limbo' adopts is excellently done, not to mention the ambient sounds/music that accompany this. Often you'll find games that are dark but light hearted, 'Darksiders', for example. 'Limbo' veres off towards something of a psychological experience.

'Outland' is/was good, and it is similar in that its a relatively simply set-up 2-D side-scroller, but it doesn't come close to delivering what 'Limbo' does; 'Outland', although I enjoyed it, doesn't have any where near as much depth.

If you want a fantastic game that is similar to Limbo then try 'Braid', 2-D side-scrolling, puzzle based, brilliant music (look up 'Maenam' by Jami Sieber, not written for the game, but chosen for the game). 'Braid', for me, was up there ticking all the boxes, it has a completely different 'feel' to 'Limbo', but it excels in its own rights. Alternatively if your looking for something equally as engaging and bare-bones, but NOT 2-D then you may want to try 'Journey' by 'thatgamescompany', its brilliant, it defines simple and effective.

My recommendations:

1. Braid

2. Journey

• 6 months later...

I guess what makes Limbo great is that it is unique so there isn't anything out there to compare it too directly! Such a great game.

But I would also suggest Rochard, Braid, Journey, Trine along with the others.

Another 2D platformer I heartily recommend is Pixeljunk Eden. That game has not been played by enough people. It has it's own atmosphere like Limbo. Be warned that it is a pretty tough game to 100%, but for me it was well worth the effort and I enjoyed its challenges.

Small mention for Sideway NY which was okay and the Last Guy which is awesome, but not technically a platformer, more an arcade game, but worth looking into.

• 3 weeks later...
So Limbo is probably my favorite game ever (even with its short length), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of games similar in concept and/or play style?

On the one hand, I would love to play some more artistic games that had a completely unique world to work in. Limbo's eerie black and white tableaux were beautiful to play in, and really set the tone for the game.

On the other hand, I am also looking for some good puzzle games that force me to think laterally. Some of the puzzles in Limbo were really challenging, and I loved that. =) Because of Limbo (and Tomb Raider, actually), I have snatched up other puzzle games like Catherine and Portal, but I need MOAR!

Thank you for your time! =)

Try Machinarium. Gameplay is different, but storyline is a lot Limbo looking like. It was free on PS store for plus members, sadly i guess it's free no more, not sure 100% bout that tho

Try Machinarium. Gameplay is different, but storyline is a lot Limbo looking like. It was free on PS store for plus members, sadly i guess it's free no more, not sure 100% bout that tho

It's definitely no longer free for PS+. I just purchased it as a part of the 13 for 13 sale for $2.50 with the 75% PS+ discount. In fact I only joined PS+ because of the amazing discounts from that sale; the discounts paid for my three month subscription.

• 3 months later...

As far as similar games as this, there are several, but ignoring any without trophies there are less.

I would recommend the two first Oddworld games and Heart of Darkness even if they don't have trophies. The two first Oddworld games are going to get a HD remake with (P) etc though. :) All three games are better than this one.

I would of course recommend my favorite game Tombi! and Tombi! 2. None of 'em has trophies though.

Knytt Underground, this one hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but that's a game EU got for "free" through PS+ too. It's very similar to this game, just much bigger and it has quests etc and more to do. Pretty par with this game.

Braid is a good contestant as a similar game and a better game than this.

Outland is pretty good too and somewhat similar, even though it's more like Knytt Underground with more focus on platforming and fighting etc.

Thomas is alone also went for free for PS+, and is a pretty similar game.

Trine series is similar, but nowhere near as good. I just found them to be boring and annoying. Game was easy enough, but it had respawing enemies that was easy to take out but took so long. It just ended up being boring. Collectibles hiding at really dumb places etc.

ICO is not 2D, but it's pretty similar, in which case you could also try Majim and the Forsaken Kingdom.

I haven't played Rochard or Journey, but I know from what I've seen that Journey isn't exactly like this game in too many ways. Someone suggest Machinarium and I would say that's a totally different genre. Machinarium is the typical graphic adventure game.

Edited by MMDE

Machinarium and Outland like ppl said. Thomas Was Alone might be one as well. Then there's Quantum Conundrum and off course Trine 1 & 2 but now we're talking about platform / level jumping games overall.

Machinarium is a graphic adventure game, and not a puzzle platformer. If you suggest Machinarium, then you could say pretty much any of Tell Tales Games, Stacking etc. That's a different genre.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice, I grabbed Mechanarium and Knytt from PS+, but haven't had a chance to play them yet. I'll have to get on that soon. Also I have to play Braid ... it's been on my radar since it came out, but I never actually bought it yet.

Also, Ico and SotC both in my favorite games of all time list, so spot on with that suggestion. ;D

This thread is full of amazing games. xD

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

You should definitely play Another World.

It's a side scrolling game very similar in style to Limbo in that you die very easily and you'll have to basically work by trial and error in order to figure out how to move on. It's great fun with a good but simple story and some really good style and creative environments. I couldn't stop thinking about it while playing Limbo.

It clearly influenced Limbo, too, as Another World is an older game first released in 1991. However, the creator went back and revamped the engine, made it HD and re-released it on several platforms, such as Steam, GOG, and iOS and Android devices, but he kept the cool, retro 3D look of the characters. I wish he'd release it to consoles.

It also goes by the name Out of this World for the Super Nintendo port, which is probably the most well known version (and where I first played it.)