I liked FFXIII-2, will I like this one?

I liked FFXIII best until LR , just played XIII last night for a few minutes and had forgotten how to control the players in the game, the game play in LR is much better the prior versions. I had also played XIII prior to LR release, mainly to get into the game and also to have a XIII save on system to allow for the outfit and weapon from XIII to be part of LR saves.

NOTE: the first game I got hooked on was FFXIII , when I got my PS3. I purchased FFXIII for my Xbox prior to release of LR (see above for reason).

Played FFXIII on PS3 in excess of 200+ hours. FFXIII-2 close to 100 hours.

LR:FFXIII about 180 on PS3 and 160 on Xbox

In FFXIII you are spamming the X button (or A on Xbox).

In LR:FFXIII you are in total control of Light during moving around and in battle, you use almost all the buttons and controls on the the Dual Shock during game play. It is one of the most fun battle systems to date, at least for me.

The character graphics is way improved over XIII. Light's lips are in sync with the words (they also created Japanese dialog and included lipsync)

The story in XIII was very good, XIII-2 I have actually almost completely forgot it. The Story in LR is good as well, it fills in the time gap between the others with enough detail that you understand what happen in prior games.

Edited by ecto69

The character graphics is way improved over XIII. Light's lips are in sync with the words (they also created Japanese dialog and included lipsync)

I actually found the graphics in this game to be much worse than the first Final Fantasy XIII game. They improved the lip sync, but besides the main characters, the graphics are worse. The quality of the worlds and NPCs are worse than in the previous two Final Fantasy XIII games.

I've gotten a bit bored of the actual game now, so what I've done now is made a 5th play through and that is dedicated to 5 starring every monster in ]

My best so far was on Zomok, 1,068,300, but not anywhere in the top 10, some are in the top 500 and others around the 100-200 range.

I will post some results if find time. I have posted like 99% of them on Facebook, so have a full record. Also take photos with camera from the game screen.

I like the way the Facebook app records the setup used for the battle

Edited by ecto69

My best so far was on Zomok, 1,068,300, but not anywhere in the top 10, some are in the top 500 and others around the 100-200 range.

I will post some results if find time. I have posted like 99% of them on Facebook, so have a full record. Also take photos with camera from the game screen.

I like the way the Facebook app records the setup used for the battle

The key to getting the best potential score is to use no EP, OC, items, don't die and no buffs, just a plain fight and to beat the enemy as fast as possible of course, I beat the guy in 10 measely seconds

The key to getting the best potential score is to use no EP, OC, items, don't die and no buffs, just a plain fight and to beat the enemy as fast as possible of course, I beat the guy in 10 measely seconds

So 5th playthru does that mean it is like NG++++ ;-)

I had an understanding close to that on how ranking works

My goal would be top 500 LOL

[spoiler=cbh]

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/ranking/cb-hard.jpg

There is a user that shows up ranking #1 and in the schema shows Ultima Weapon on two Garbs and was for a Main Quest Boss battles. Still wondering how this is possible, must be some kind of glitch or hack.

Edited by ecto69

So 5th playthru does that mean it is like NG++++ ;-)

I had an understanding close to that on how ranking works

My goal would be top 500 LOL

[spoiler=cbh]

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/ranking/cb-hard.jpg

There is a user that shows up ranking #1 and in the schema shows Ultima Weapon on two Garbs and was for a Main Quest Boss battles. Still wondering how this is possible, must be some kind of glitch or hack.

Lol I suppose it is ecto, since this game is the last of it's series, I want to play it as much as possible.

That really does sound like some sort of hack/glitch/mod IMO.

Edited by WesToN

Some people are just insanely good. The battle system is quick to pick up, but it's probably the deepest and most difficult to master than the previous games. Personally, I love it and is enough to keep me interested, although the graphics and story are both (below?) average.

I agree the battle system is such a leap from the 2 prequels, to some extent I actually prefer this current battle system, but I will always love turn-based battle systems. The graphics are very good IMO, but the best graphics I have ever seen on the PS3 has to be the 1st FF13 one of the scenes were just amazing, [spoiler=123]The scene where Snow and Serah are on that big motorbike and there's fireworks going off in the background, that is some next level sh*t

All the cut scenes in original XIII were pre-rendered hence the quality is very good. The Xbox version was on three discs. The extracted videos take up about 21gb of space as mkv files, not sure how much space on the actual disc as those are encrypted and a different format/codec files are iirc in a BIK file format.

Also the battle scenes were also pre-rendered at least to some degree.

Lightning's face on the Xbox does not look as good in 13 as it does in LR.

I need to check PS3 again.

When I have time will try and do a comparison, based on google research the graphics has gone down from 13 to 13-2 and now LR , however if you look at Light, she looks way better, and her hair moves naturally.

There are two aspects of comparing,

1. The overall graphics in game like the environment aka cities and places where you can roam around and view places like from the monorail station, and the ocean view along the south east side of desert dunes aka dead dunes.

2. Graphics of main character Claire Farron , Éclair Farron (エクレール・ファロン Ekurēru Faron?)

And perhaps other party members and main bosses.

Edited by ecto69

Coming from someone who played all three XIII games extensively, I think anyone who enjoys XIII-2 will love the gameplay in LR for sure but the time factor mightn't be their sort of jazz. That might be a turn-off for some, unless you had prior experience with a game like, say, Atelier. It can be quite overwhelming for newcomers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess I'm in the minority, because I enjoyed playing the first two FF13 games, but this one just leaves a bad taste. The dialogue in this game just makes me cringe with everything that is said. I haven't made it to the end yet (on day 4) but it is a struggle just for me to keep going. The battle system doesn't do too much to help either, since many times you don't need to fight.