I quite enjoyed the FF XIII trilogy

Even tough most of the ppl seen to hate FFXIIIs guts, I liked all 3 games very much. Havent finised Lightning Returns yet but Im enjoying it and ppl tend to complain about how the story is convoluted on this trilogy, I think its a pretty well tough out story. Lightning returns is gutwrentching at times, everything has gone to crap on the world and everyone seens to be sufering, Caius storyline in particular is awesome.

Its pretty much it I like XIII trilogy quite a bit.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to agree with you here. I've really enjoyed playing the games and while they may not be perfect, that doesn't matter to me. I'm having fun (haven't beaten Lightning Returns yet either).

I also think that Caius' story chapters were the best. Don't get me wrong, I liked Noel's and Fang's, but Caius and Yuel gave me the feels.

I've enjoyed the whole trilogy as well, so much so that I'm soon gonna go back and play XIII (haven't played it on the PS3). I'm really glad that LR shifted back very much to Lightning's POV and her struggles amid the world's turmoils, since she was totally shoved into the background in XIII-2.

Adding more thumbs up for the trilogy...

I've loaded the savefiles from both XIII and XIII-2 (to get the exclusive garbs - hope you got them too) and played a bit of the games... I had that buzz like I was playing the games (excitedly) for the first time... they're really great! Though I had to admit I kinda forgot how to play the first two after so long...

Well I'm saving the thought of playing them again for the PS4 "trilogy" version... believe me Sqeenix is going to release one someday... I don't see any reason why they shouldn't...

-----

I also hope there's going to be a limited edition steel case (with exclusive inserts) to collect all three games into one... I'll definitely get that!

Edited by Naps

The story was a complete and utter wreck - and that is putting it mildly; I could go on and on about how shockingly bad, pointless and mundane I found the trilogy and its cast - but I found the games fun enough to play. I've certainly played worse. Square Enix delivered three games that were actually quite different in style, and it was quite an interesting experience.

I think a lot of the criticism comes solely from the fact that the games were such a marked departure from what FF games have been in the past, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It was nice to play a JRPG where I didn't have to grind for a million and one hours to get anywhere, for a change.

I have to agree with you, despite its criticism, i've had an amazing time with all three games, especially the original

I actually would say XIII is up there as one of my favourite entries in the entire series

I do rank FF XIII on my top 5 too, I prefer XIII-2 tough (over lightning return as well) I think Caius is an awesome vilain, the dude actualy won. Kefka gets so much praise for destroying the world Caius destroyed the space time continum and brought about the end of the universe and ppl dont give him credit hehe.

I do rank FF XIII on my top 5 too, I prefer XIII-2 tough (over lightning return as well) I think Caius is an awesome vilain, the dude actualy won. Kefka gets so much praise for destroying the world Caius destroyed the space time continum and brought about the end of the universe and ppl dont give him credit hehe.

This is why Caius is my favourite FF villain. He won. And it wasn't just a temporary win either, where the heroes can save the day before the end of the game, but an actual end-of-the-world win. He broke things so bad the only way humanity can survive is to jump ship to another planet entirely.

Plus, as far as I know (still only on day 11), you never actually beat Caius either. You don't kill him, you can't save him. He just carries on doing what he does.

.... I think Caius is an awesome villain, the dude actually won.

This is why Caius is my favourite FF villain. He won. And it wasn't just a temporary win either, where the heroes can save the day before the end of the game, but an actual end-of-the-world win. He broke things so bad the only way humanity can survive is to jump ship to another planet entirely.

Plus, as far as I know, you never actually beat Caius either. You don't kill him, you can't save him. He just carries on doing what he does.

At first I was surprised I "won" over Caius coz I remember being so crap in "Requim of the Goddess" (I wouldn't last 3 minutes) and gave up... and here in FFXIII:LR he was "easy"... then MissFortune here reminded me that "Lightning actually didn't win", Caius just let her go... and it all started to make sense afterwards....

He's probably the coolest FF villain to date... he beat Sephiroth in my opinion...

At first I was surprised I "won" over Caius coz I remember being so crap in "Requim of the Goddess" (I wouldn't last 3 minutes) and gave up... and here in FFXIII:LR he was "easy"... then MissFortune here reminded me that "Lightning actually didn't win", Caius just let her go... and it all started to make sense afterwards....

He's probably the coolest FF villain to date... he beat Sephiroth in my opinion...

Its more like he got what he wanted but even that didnt solve anything for him and he is on screw it, Im just gona stay here with Yeul amidst the chaos and watch as the world comes to an end mode, and he lets Lightning go.

In a way Caius did get what he wanted. Yeul stopped dying. He just screwed everything else up as a result.

Yeul is another of my favourites. I know each version of her is different, but I rather like them all. Her/Their story is so sad I get the feels and just want to give them a hug.

Technically he got what he wanted but the result of that was a fate that he and yeul have to share. Also it's not really a super great fate either......

Well, if you watch the end, I don't know how you can say things are too bad for Caius:

[spoiler=yuelharem]Dude has a harem of Yuels now. I can't feel too sorry for him; he even had enough to spare one for Noel :D

[spoiler=sadfate] yeah he does but he is trapped with her as the new guardian of death :/ doesn't seem like such a good fate to me.

I really enjoyed both FFXIII and FFXIII-2, I haven't got round to playing Lightning Returns yet. It's sat on myself but I haven't had the time lately, is it any good?

As someone who has just beaten the game, I'd have to say yes. I enjoyed the story and the battle system and a number of the side quests are fun too.

I really enjoyed both FFXIII and FFXIII-2, I haven't got round to playing Lightning Returns yet. It's sat on myself but I haven't had the time lately, is it any good?

... yeah don't miss it Danno since you had played the first two already.... I say that this game gives more sense to whatever the heck happened in XIII/XIII-2... I'm very close to beat the game so yeah I really think it's brilliant...

Don't forget to load XIII/XIII-2 for those two garbs for Lightning. Better use them at the start of the game as they pretty much become obsolete on days 6 beyond... well more or less... BUT don't think that LR will be as easy as the others... this may very well be the most challenging XIII in the series... and that's a good thing...

For me LR is the only one I have got platinum on. Currently at 98% and only need to collect 30 TS items, aka treasure sphere. Sure glad one did not need to grind for 16,000,000 GIL, I think you only need about 100,000GIL to get all trophy items. And for the last two you can just reload and get your 40,000 back.

The best part or at least one, is the new battle system, it now makes you think instead of just spamming X all the time. In prior games I could be doing other stuff while grinding or doing battles.

Edited by ecto69

Now that I'm back to playing XIII, it makes me wish that they had put a Japanese language packet for this and XIII-2 also. :[ Not that I don't like the English VAs and all, but after LR I gotta say that I admittedly like the Japanese ones more. xD

... yeah don't miss it Danno since you had played the first two already.... I say that this game gives more sense to whatever the heck happened in XIII/XIII-2... I'm very close to beat the game so yeah I really think it's brilliant...

Don't forget to load XIII/XIII-2 for those two garbs for Lightning. Better use them at the start of the game as they pretty much become obsolete on days 6 beyond... well more or less... BUT don't think that LR will be as easy as the others... this may very well be the most challenging XIII in the series... and that's a good thing...

I used Lightning's garb from the first game as my default debuffer right up until the final dungeon (switched out for certain bosses). I just liked the look of it.

It has been a while since I played the last two FFXIII games, but the optional bosses seemed harder than the ones I can remember from previous games.