Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered (PS4 & Vita)

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered

If you have found this guide helpful, and wish to join the site, click

HERE to register. It's free, and we're awesome!

Overview:

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 2/10 (personal estimate) (Trophy Difficulty Rating)
  • Offline trophies: 12 (7(B), 4(S), 1(G))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 10-12 hours (personal estimate) (Estimated Time to 100%)
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1 (+ stage select)
  • Number of missable trophies: 0 (stage select)
  • Glitched trophies: Born to Spell(G) - in a good way
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: N/A
  • Do trophies stack?: PS4 and Vita share a trophy list
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: N/A

Introduction

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered is a port of a 2014 PC game. A Scrabble game with RPG elements, players must defeat monsters by spelling words of at least three letters from a letter bank. Grimm and his friend Rose must travel through 30 stages in quest of a pizza dinner.

Basically: if you've ever played PopCap's Bookworm Adventures, you'll know exactly what to expect, but if you're still unsure, the developers have a browser-based demo you can play HERE.

Depending on the version of the game you're playing, you either want to avoid or play the word “FARTS”. See Born to Spell(G) for more information.

Walkthrough

Step 1: Play through all 40 stages, earning all yellow stars

Playing through the 40 stages, while skipping the crystal star challenges, will help you build up enough crystals to purchase the upgrades needed to tackle the harder crystal star challenges. Focus on upgrading your armor, weapon (just max out your starting one), health, and bottle storage. Other upgrades I found helpful were the Wealth, Heel Me, and Bonus Time books (in that order of importance), as well as the Monster Health Bar and Gold Treasure Chest upgrades. I didn't find any of the other upgrades particularly helpful, but by the end of the game you'll have more crystals than you'll know what to do with anyway.

Don't forget to make progress towards the Quests. They will earn you a lot of crystals for upgrades, but you also need to complete 50 of them for Quest King (or Queen!) (B).

If you're not particularly good at Scrabble-type games, you can use the Words With Friends Cheat to help you out. However, I suggest only using it to help you get through the time-attack levels, otherwise you'll find yourself with quite a grind once you've reached the end of the game, as you'll eventually need to spell out 3000 words.

By the end of this step, you will have earned:

Rock Star(S)

And likely:

Showing Off(B)

Prevention(B)

WHY?(B)

Open Sesame(B)

Quest King (Or Queen!) (B)

What're Ya Buyin?(S)

Step 2: Play through all 40 stages, earning all crystal stars

Now that you're "beefed" up, you'll be able to handle the crystal star challenges. I suggest buying the Bone Crusher weapon once you've cleared 10 of the crystal star challenges, as owning that weapon (and maxing it out) will increase your chances of landing critical hits, and you'll be needing 100 for Critically Acclaimed (S).

Walk of Fame (S)

And likely:

Monster Masher(B)

We Have the Technology(B)

Critically Acclaimed(S)

Step 3: Clean up

It's quite possible that by this point you've unlocked every trophy in the game, but it's more than likely that you'll still be missing Born To Spell(G). You can either spell the remaining words by playing Endless Mode (you won't have your upgrades, though) or reloading and playing through the story mode stages again until the trophy unlocks. The cruel irony of this step is that the better you are at this game, the more you'll have to grind out this trophy by the end of it. See Born to Spell(G) for more specific information.

Born To Spell (G)

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial Sweep.

Trophy Guide:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/29d.jpg Showing Off (B)

Finish a stage with full health

Note: this does not necessarily mean to never get hit. It just means to finish a stage with full health. This will probably come naturally as you play through the game; otherwise, you can use a potion or two before you defeat the last monster of any stage.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/38f.jpg Prevention (B)

Use 25 plague tiles

Plague tiles are red tiles that can “infect” your other tiles if they're not played. The way to get plague tiles is for an enemy with the plague tile skill to attack you. Use 25 tiles to unlock this trophy. Try replaying Level 15, Star 3, as all enemies will have the plague tile skill.

You can check your count from the main menu under Stats – Special Tiles.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/90c.jpg WHY? (B)

Spell 3 words with no vowels

Remember the old “AEIOU and sometimes Y” rule of vowels? Think of any word where Y is the only vowel, and you'll be set. A few common vowel-less words are “DRY” “CRY” “FLY” “TRY” “PRY” and “WHY”.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/cc6.jpg Open Sesame! (B)

Open 10 treasure chests

Some stages will have treasure chests near the end. To successfully open them, you will have to play – and win – a hangman-like game, filling in the letters to figure out the password. I suggest trying the Wheel of Fortune method – RSTLINE – for your best chance at filling in letters before you start guessing.

There's also an item you can buy that allows more guesses for the treasure chests, but it's honestly a waste of crystals.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/bb2.jpg Quest King (or Queen!) (B)

Complete 50 quests

The quests are secondary objectives you can work towards for extra crystals. Every time you clear a stage, your progress on each quest – and how many you've completed – will be shown. There are 70 quests total in the game, and at any given point you will have three available to work on.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/6bd.jpg Monster Masher (B)

Defeat 250 monsters

This will come naturally during your playthrough of the game, assuming you're aiming to get all the stars (which you will need to, anyways).

You can check your progress under Stats – Combat.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/a02.jpg We Have The Technology (B)

Purchase 30 upgrades

The first tab in the store menu – indicated by a heart – are upgrades that can be purchased. You buy upgrades with crystals you earn in stages.

Weapon upgrades also count towards this trophy, so I suggest fully upgrading the Bone Crusher when you've unlocked it in order to help your progress towards Critically Acclaimed(S).

You can check your progress under Stats – Shopping.

Edited by Warbear
Editorial Sweep.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/4ad.jpg Critically Acclaimed (S)

Do 100 critical attacks

This is likely to come naturally during your playthrough, but you are more likely to obtain a critical attack by playing longer words. There is also a weapon, the Bone Crusher, that raises your chances of dealing a critical attack. The Bone Crusher unlocks after earning 10 crystal stars, and should be fully upgraded to both increase your chances of landing a critical attack and to make progress towards We Have the Technology(B).

The secondary character, Rose, has a slightly higher chance of landing critical attacks, but I never used her and unlocked this trophy before I'd finished the game.

You can check your progress under Stats – Combat.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/01b.jpg What're Ya Buyin'? (S)

Purchase 50 merchant items in battle

In some stages, the merchant will show up in place of an enemy or a treasure chest. You can buy various healing or combat items from him using the crystals you earned in the stage, instead of your bank of crystals, meaning you will likely only be able to buy two or three items at a time. Regardless, this is likely to come naturally during your initial playthrough of the game.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/0bf.jpg Rock Star (S)

Earn 120 yellow stars

Each stage has four stars. The first three are yellow stars, and represent different challenge modes. The first star is always to just clear the stage, the second is always a time-attack mode, and the third is a wildcard from stage to stage, usually revolving around stronger enemies or letter restrictions.

Given that there are 40 stages in the game, you will need to earn every star in every level to unlock both this and Walk of Fame(S). The stages are all very short, and these necessary replays will help lessen the grind towards Born To Spell(G).

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/aff.jpg Walk Of Fame (S)

Earn 40 crystal stars

Each stage has four stars. The fourth star is a crystal star, and represents the hardest challenge in the stage. Enemies usually hit harder and have more HP to deal with. There are often restrictions, such as enemies only taking damage from words with certain letters, but there are also bonuses, such as enemies taking quadruple damage from words containing certain letters.

Given that there are 40 stages in the game, you will need to earn every star in every level to unlock both this and Rock Star(S). The stages are all very short, and these necessary replays will help lessen the grind towards Born To Spell(G).

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/28f.jpg Born To Spell (G)

Spell 3000 words

It's possible that this came naturally during your playthrough of the game, but it's far more likely that you will need to grind this trophy out by either replaying stages, or using Endless Mode. I personally suggest the following method instead of Endless Mode:

Load up Stage 1, Crystal Star, as that enemy only takes damage from 4 letter words and doesn't hit as hard as many other advanced monsters (including the ones in Endless Mode). Play a bunch of 3 or 5+ letter words against it to inflate your word count, then heal before you die. Rinse and repeat until you're out of potions, then finish the enemy off with four letter words. You can further extend this time by equipping a fully-upgraded Sir Healsalot weapon; by the end of the game you'll have more than enough crystals for it.

Regarding "FARTS" - playing the word on the Vita version crashes the game. However, there have been reports that playing the word on the PS4 version bugs out the word counter in your favor, allowing you to unlock this trophy fairly quickly. It's worth a shot.

General Tips:

- Prioritize upgrading your HP, armor, and bottle storage, and always carry the maximum amount of health potions with you. This way you can start playing shorter words against larger enemies, and heal yourself after you take a beating, instead of risking dying and losing your spelling progress.

- Only use the Words With Friends Cheat for time-attack stages, when large words are essential to beating the challenge. It's tempting to use it for the entire game and breeze through, but that will leave you with a longer grind at the end of it.

You can check your progress under Stats – Spelling.

Edited by themindisacity
Editorial Sweep.

Don't bother with the 'Bonus Time' book. If you have any troubles with timed levels just press the "Help" button. It pauses the timer and allows you to still look at the letters on your screen.

Good guide! I ended up liking this game more than I expected. Well worth the money.

There's something a little addictive about it, isn't there?

Nice tip; I never really hit the help button, so I didn't think about exploiting it to stare at the screen.

Wait, playing FARTS actually crashes the game?! :rofl:

Well, it did the two times I tried to play it, during two different sessions against two different monsters. I was wondering if it was a joke, too, as it doesn't just exit out of the game and give you an error message; it gives you an in-game error message in the font of the game and then you can't do anything but exit out and relaunch the game.

Born to Spell glitched in a very good way for me. Right when I smashed my 1st gem/jewel pack in the forest while breaking apart it just kept going? It showed some qwest being completed and stuff but mainly it showed something about amount of words b4 the trophy popped! I had to quit the game though because it wouldn't stop? Got this as my 4th trophy instead of last and i'm not complaining :dance:

Born to Spell glitched in a very good way for me. Right when I smashed my 1st gem/jewel pack in the forest while breaking apart it just kept going? It showed some qwest being completed and stuff but mainly it showed something about amount of words b4 the trophy popped! I had to quit the game though because it wouldn't stop? Got this as my 4th trophy instead of last and i'm not complaining :dance:

Interesting. Vita? PS4? What word did you spell?

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting. Vita? PS4? What word did you spell?

PS4 and I wish I could remember the word? I'll check the trophy screenshot again to see if it's in the background somewhere. I agree with you that it wasn't always necessary to use the biggest words to get things done. I saved some letters for the next word often.

Just checked it and the word was "GIVE" as in the game decided to "GIVE" me the trophy early

Edited by L_Dojai

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/GuideStuck_Gold.gif

I tried out the browser demo with the link on your introduction, so I might get this at some point. And it also gives me a nice break from those realistic emulation games.

Also, don't play the word “FARTS”. It crashes the game.

That's hilarious. :p

I spelled "boob" and "nude" in the demo so I'm not sure if the browser version is different than the console version. :think:

Edited by Warbear

I tried out the browser demo with the link on your introduction, so I might get this at some point. And it also gives me a nice break from those realistic emulation games.

I spelled "boob" and "nude" in the demo so I'm not sure if the browser version is different than the console version. :think:

Thanks for the sticky!

The demo is basically the first two levels of the game. There's no difference.

You can spell some naughty stuff in this game. I was surprised. Some of the obvious four-letter stuff doesn't fly, but a lot of stuff does.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was playing on the PS4 and on the first or second level I entered the word "FARTS" and the game glitched and the game kept inputting the word, so within a minute I got the 3000 word trophy. It ended up being the first trophy I got in the game lol.

People have had similar results on the PSNProfiles forum.

Exact same thing happened to me. Was like the third word I spelled. 'Farts' seems to be the magic word that bugs out the game, though this makes getting the 3000 words trophy incredibly easy.

But I can't help but wonder if this was something that was done on purpose by the developers... I mean what are the chances that 'farts' just happens to be the magic word :p

• 1 month later...
Huh. Sounds like FARTS just crashes the game on Vita but is awesome on PS4. I'll update the guide.

I've just played 'farts' as my first word, on the first level and... Nothing!

Nothing unusual at all happened. No crash and no glitched word count. This is on the vita version. I'll keep trying to play farts as I go along anyway and see if that changes.

I can confirm if you have a Vita you can still use the fart glitch if you dont install the update. I had to refresh my letters a few times, but it worked. Thanks to Madbuk on PSNP for posting that info...

It has been patched, but if you have a Vita you can download it on there and it'll add 2 things to your notification list - the game downloading and the patch downloading. Cancel the patch. Then you can use farts and get the trophy really quickly on the first level.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/4341/a02.jpg We Have The Technology (B)

Purchase 30 upgrades

The first tab in the store menu – indicated by a heart – are upgrades that can be purchased. You buy upgrades with crystals you earn in stages.

Weapon upgrades also count towards this trophy, so I suggest fully upgrading the Bone Crusher when you've unlocked it in order to help your progress towards Critically Acclaimed(S).

Weapon upgrades don't count anymore. I had 25 from under the heart section and 5 weapon upgrades and it didn't pop until I bought 5 more upgrades from the heart menu...

Purchase 30 upgrades

The only upgrades counted for trophy were the first screen "UPGRADES" - Healthy, Damage Up, Armor, Dodgy!, Bigger Gem Pile, Crystals!, Alchemy, More Potions. I upgraded a Scythe in weapons to 5* and it didn't count. Trophy unlocked only when i had Healthy, Damage Up & Armor at 8* + 6* on rest

p.s. LOL i wasn't reading the third page and the last post. I replied after guide was read.

Great job btw, thx !

Edited by J@50N