XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > PS3 Games > Disc-Based PS3 Games > L (PS3) > Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Amen to every word you said
Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   Maximum Clubs Top 5   TSL First Place, Season 2   Bronze Submission   Word of Mouth - Bronze   1,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
This is a devil's advocate thread. The game is shit, no matter how you put it. On technical standards as well. Saying it was all "meant to be" is like saying "I meant to do that" when you slide on the ice and faceplant.

The graphics are terrible, the draw distance laughable, the controls unresponsive, the voice acting is tolerable, the story itself is retarded, the pacing is boring and the replay value is bar none.

With that said, I enjoyed the game. I don't think anyone can NOT understand the humor, because it's pretty much double-digit IQ humor. However, some may not find it funny. To say some might not understand it is really lowering your standards of the human race, lol.

And Damnation was not good. It was riddled with glitches and bugs, and it was just an epic coding and programming disaster from start to finish. That's not to say you can't enjoy it, but to say it's a good game is just making yourself out to be critically instable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye420 View Post
If you played Box Office Bust for any reason OTHER than:

1. Leisure Suit Larry is awesome

then don't play don't bitch
Not every game has to be award-winning Aidan. This game is awesome and it's not because of graphical power or a "mind-bending" story. You, like most everyone else who plays this game...have missed the point of why you should be playing.

All the LSL games have been "poor video games" by the standards we hold video games....low graphical quailty, ornery controls, no meaningful story, etc. That's why they are awesome...they aren't just another attempt at making a new "gaming giant franchsie".

Last edited by RedEye420; 03-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.
RedEye420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Like I said, I enjoyed the game. That doesn't mean it's not shit, lol. You basically ran into the lightpost, and said "I meant to do that".

If making a shitty game these days, though enjoyable, is done on purpose, then I can think of about 50 other excuses for other games and why they shouldn't be downplayed. Box Office attempts to be a generic game, with normal platforming and some open world elements. It fails on all fronts. This wasn't done on purpose. It just failed. Come on now.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   Maximum Clubs Top 5   TSL First Place, Season 2   Bronze Submission   Word of Mouth - Bronze   1,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award

Quote:
Like I said, I enjoyed the game. That doesn't mean it's not shit, lol. You basically ran into the lightpost, and said "I meant to do that".

If making a shitty game these days, though enjoyable, is done on purpose, then I can think of about 50 other excuses for other games and why they shouldn't be downplayed. Box Office attempts to be a generic game, with normal platforming and some open world elements. It fails on all fronts. This wasn't done on purpose. It just failed. Come on now.
You should not have played LSL. I recommend not playing any more in the future if you believe that the people that make LSL games are out to make an "impressive sandbox". Making picture perfect platforming was (and rightfully should have been) at the bottom of the LSL goal list. LSL people knew what you, it appears, do not....LSL is not about great game-making. It's about entertainment. Always has, always will.

Video games do not have to follow the mold of all successful video games. Just because the GTA's and CoD's blow our minds with stellar graphics, flawless gameplay, and moving storylines...doesn't mean that's the goal of every game. No. Some games really are for shits and giggles. LSL is DEFINITELY for shits and giggles.

I'll also remind you, since you seem to have forgotten, that there is no amount of knowledge you can obtain in your lifetime that will ever make your opinions fact. Come on now.

You think it's shit...I thought it was absolutely wonderful...but that's because I wasn't about to think I was about to play the next Mario.

Now, we've come to a stalemate and I assure continued argument will only result in "arena reasoning" and would be a waste of both our valuable time. So continue to post away with more of your opinions but no matter how much we go back and forth we aren't going to change this tally right here:
Aidan's Opinion: Shit game
RedEye420's Opinion: Awesome Game

Last edited by RedEye420; 03-11-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hey, I enjoyed the game, but on a realistic scale the game was poorly programmed. Bad framerate, jaggy graphics and terrible pop-in have NOTHING to do with Leisure Suit Larry. Nothing.

You actually think they sat there and had a responsive control scheme, but said "no, we have to make this a Larry game, so break it."? Come on now. Their "meant to do this" attitude is a cheap disguise for lack of talent, resources, manpower and experience.

I liked the game. It just wasn't a good game. Two different things.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I liked the game. It just wasn't a good game. Two different things.
Fact and opinion.... two entirely different things.

Last edited by RedEye420; 03-11-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

If you want to call a terrible engine, with terrible textures, frame rate, inconsistent button input, terrible collision detection and horrible control schemes a good or bad attempt at video games by opinion, then so be it.

I'd call it being the Devil's advocate due to your need to defend what you like, unconditionally, without being realistic.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
If you want to call a terrible engine, with terrible textures, frame rate, inconsistent button input, terrible collision detection and horrible control schemes a good or bad attempt at video games by opinion, then so be it.

I'd call it being the Devil's advocate due to your need to defend what you like, unconditionally, without being realistic.
Realistically, thinking that LSL should spend time and energy on making perfect platforming and stunning graphics is just foolish......something I'm sure you're not used to being.

That's the point you continue to refuse to listen to. I never said "they made the game bad on purpose." I said.."LSL people know that LSL is not about great game-making. It's about entertainment."

That means that when the people sat down and said..."Hey wait...these graphics can't compete, the platforming is sloppy and the framerate can sometimes be sluggish...." a smart person in the room stepped in and said,

"This is LSL. We don't need to be a perfect game. We need to be an entertaining game. Instead of spending dollars on programmers fixing bugs and re-coding, we are spending them on voice-over talent and marketing....because in the end...LSL fans want to be entertained.....not impressed. This game is for entertainment."

It seems even you have admitted that it succeeded in that. To me...that's a successful game. It set out to do EXACTLY what it was attempting to do....to entertain you.

EDIT: P.S. I'm signing off now I'm not ignoring you.

Last edited by RedEye420; 03-11-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

I would never expect perfection. I would expect at least some effort. Tomb Raider Underworld, for instance, is far from perfect, but it's highly playable, and it shows effort. Same with games like Wanted, Wolverine, etc.

There's trying and somewhat succeeding, and there's just plain failing and not even trying. I felt they didn't even try with this game. It's just that I enjoyed the story/characters/dialog, but I would've much more preferred a click 'n play adventure, rather than a sandbox game.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

OK i'm back! <3 Miss Me?

Quote:
There's trying and somewhat succeeding, and there's just plain failing and not even trying. I felt they didn't even try with this game.
That's what I'm trying to say. They weren't trying. When someone sits down to make a LSL game they don't sit down to make a graphically stunning and technically superior game. They sit down to make a silly game with dick and fart jokes and tits bouncing all over the screen.

Quote:
It's just that I enjoyed the story/characters/dialog, but I would've much more preferred a click 'n play adventure, rather than a sandbox game.
I don't disagree with that because ... and I feel like a broken record at this point...LSL is not about graphics and gameplay. It's about humor and sexual mischief wrapped up in a silly package.

I feel like hating LSL 'cause it has bad graphics or sloppy controls is like hating Bob Saget because he cusses in his act. You shouldn't have gone to see him with that attitude to begin with because you knew you what you were gonna get.

Last edited by RedEye420; 03-11-2010 at 11:44 AM.