Frequent Freezing? Try these tips

Aeoen

I just finished Lego Pirates; though getting through Story Mode and part of Free Play was a nightmare--the game kept freezing. Some stages I had to restart my PS3 four or five times before I could get past certain events, but I scoured the Internet and had success* with these methods:

1. Disconnect from PSN. This had the biggest impact through my anecdotal evidence. When you first play Pirates, be connected to get trophies and whatever else the game does upon first loading, but after that, disconnect. Why this has any effect, I have no idea. After disconnecting from PSN, my issues dropped by close to 100%.

2. Disable/turn off all extras. TTGames has indicated this can cause issues, especially when fighting the Movie 4, Chapter 5 boss.

3. Pay attention to whether or not the game is actually frozen or just thinking/loading. A lot of times during Story, my screen would go black for 4 or 5 minutes. I found out that it was trying to play a cutscene that it couldn't find on the disk. If you can access the XMB, don't give up hope so quickly. Walk away, and come back in 4-5 minutes. If it hasn't moved on, quit the game via XMB. Now if you can't access XMB, then it's toast.

4. Don't jump around unnecessarily, especially during Free Play. I had so many freezes when jumping and landing in places not meant to be landed on.

5. Disable surround sound in your XMB-->Sound Settings. Wii owners reported this as having an effect. I didn't really notice a difference. This is definitely the last thing to try.

*Non-scientific anecdotal evidence. Your Mileage May Vary.

I just finished Lego Pirates; though getting through Story Mode and part of Free Play was a nightmare--the game kept freezing. Some stages I had to restart my PS3 four or five times before I could get past certain events

And then I thought that it was just with me. Thanks, man. I'll try this today.

I thought they would have fixed these problems by now :(.

They never patched it. It's still 1.01 or whatever. I think TTGames (and moreso its parent company Warner Brothers) isn't really concerned about game quality from what I've been reading. All of the Lego games have issues with glitches and freezing, and they were all probably rushed out by the IP owners to meet some media deadline, and then the project shut down.

This is the only game I've played that had such rampant software issues. At times it was just unplayable. An hour or more wasted restarting the console again and again hoping that this time it wouldn't get stuck. I had sent a bug report the first few times it happened, but after a while, I couldn't even describe the things I had done "wrong" to cause the freezing.

From Disney's website, Published 05/23/2011 04:36 PM Updated 06/03/2011 11:51 AM :

In certain rare instances, players may experience a lockup while playing LEGO® Disney Pirates of the Caribbean on the console platforms. While this issue appears to be uncommon, it is currently being researched by Disney Interactive Studios.

8 months with no action to me says they're not going to bother with making a patch for any/all systems. They didn't bother with any of the others, why ruin a perfectly good record?

Thankfully fellow Internet gamers helped me get through this quagmire.

I was a little surprised to see this thread actually, Lego Pirates hasn't given me any of the issues like the first Lego Harry Potter game did. I'm at 74%, and I've only had the game freeze on me once a few weeks back. It was on the loading screen where the characters are running around on the ship, before you start up in the central port/hub (however I was screwing around with sending messages and looking at other people's trophies)

I've also never signed out of the PSN to play this game, as far as extras go, I always have AT LEAST the 3 fast builds on, treasure magnet, breath underwater, extra & replenishing hearts. Its also a safe bet that I jump around on screen considerably more than necessary while playing.

I know that explaining how I carelessly play the game doesn't help solve issues for anyone else, but seeing how I've had almost no issues while basically tempting the game to freeze, I just thought it worth mentioning. Also, I've gone back & worth between my 2 playstations, mostly playing on a 120gb slim (the CECH-2001A) but sometimes on a fat 80gb (CECH-K01)

Good luck guys

• 3 weeks later...

I never had a single freeze! I think out of the four lego games I've got the (P) in, I've only frozen like 2 or 3 times total. That's like once every 30-50 hours! :p

If it makes any difference, I use the thin PS3 and a SD screen (at least while I've played the Lego games). Maybe turning off HD will fix the freeze problems? =)

Maybe it's because I purchase the games quite a while after release, but I've only at some very rare times actually encountered bugs that requires me to restart the level. Never have I encountered a bug that requires me to start the game all over again to get the (P).

I have encountered glitches that requires me to exit a level like 3 times per game. I think sometimes if I know exactly what to do, I will do it too fast, and the game won't register something, at least this is how it always feel when I'm glitching.

Edited by MMDE

• 6 years later...

I know this is old but I think this one I won't be able to finish. I can't finish level 2 of film 4, constantly freezes in various places, even doing simple things. I don't have any similar issue on any other game, not even other Lego games. Yes, i can have the sporadic problem, but nothing even remotely similar to this. And it seems the last level is even worse, although I can't figure how this can be possible. Sheer incompetence and lack of respect for customers. This can't be admissible on console games.

I know this is old but I think this one I won't be able to finish. I can't finish level 2 of film 4, constantly freezes in various places, even doing simple things. I don't have any similar issue on any other game, not even other Lego games. Yes, i can have the sporadic problem, but nothing even remotely similar to this. And it seems the last level is even worse, although I can't figure how this can be possible. Sheer incompetence and lack of respect for customers. This can't be admissible on console games.

Sorry to hear about this cris. Never have understood why devs do not clean up things. Even if this game is old, this shouldn't have ever happened.

Sorry to hear about this cris. Never have understood why devs do not clean up things. Even if this game is old, this shouldn't have ever happened.

Thanks kfree.

I did notice that in all the times the game froze on film 4, level 2 (usually on the second hold),I was using Jack Sparrow, so I tried one last thing. Use another character. And amazingly I was able to finish the level at the first try I followed this approach.

Of course everyone would use Jack Sparrow, he's the only one that can use the compass and you have to finish the 8 compass finds for each level anyway.

I managed to finish story mode, although it froze once on level 5, when I was using Jack Sparrow to check the compass.

So if you're getting freezes on this game use Jack Sparrow ONLY to check the compass and use it exclusively when it's needed, and in the places where there's the compass symbol and only him can do something. Switch immediately to any other character ASAP and the game will be less prone to freezing. Also remember once you get what you want you can quit, save the game and keep minikits and compass finds, no need to finish the level, so at last resort do levels in several plays picking a few of the remaining minikits or finding a few compass items..

With this technique I only had 2 more freezing levels on free play, once each, one level from film 3 and another from 4.

But the game was an absolute nightmare to finish. From:

- having Dave Jones jumping up and down on the same spot over the device to summon the kraken for the minikit for almost 10 minutes and then going to its supposed place on its own

- only getting the minikit triangles for my last 3 minikits on the maelstrom level (level 5, film 3) on the 4th play on free mode, and on the 3rd the game didn't give me the minikit for the 3 ducks shoot

- sometimes it was a nightmare to get the second character to do what it was needed, worse Lego game by a mile on this issue

- on the last level, the ride, I had to wait for more than 5 minutes on the first part for one of the dumb enemies to come down from the back. I tried everything, he just wouldn't move. Then he decided to come down. Thankfully the other 2 parts went fine. I was already expecting the worse...

And lots of other nuisances. This besides the constant freezes I was being offered.This game is awful. Worst game I ever finished. It does have some nice ideas, the level with the spheres made of bones is clever, the one where Jack Sparrow is in the desert with the ship too, among other things, but all this has been destroyed by the many flaws I was met with.

I can't understand the sheer incompetence and lack of respect for their customers of the developers of this game. This can't be acceptable in a console game, which has a frozen set of specs. On a evolving platform like the PC it can, not here. My next Lego game was going to be Harry Potter, but from what I read I'm going to avoid those for a while.

I know probably most people didn't have issues with this game, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Would I have dreamed this and I wouldn't have touched the game. Hope this is useful as warning and possible solution for others.

Edited by cris3f