LEGO Harry Potter Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to my Lego HP FAQ thread. I have recently seen several threads asking the same questions over and over so i though maybe if I made a thread, compiled as many of the common questions as i could along with the answers, it might cut down on the so many similar threads, and help people who are having issues.

So without further ado, he we go:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I went down in the basement of the Charms classroom and got stuck. How do I get out?

A: This is a known glitch. What causes it is jumping on the dragons head without giving the game time to autosave, resulting in you not being able to leave the room. There is word of a patch being worked on to cure this problem, but it hasnt been released yet, so if you get trapped down there, you are stuck for good.

However, there is a way out (courtesy of JonTt):

1) Play as Hermione and select her cat on the spell wheel.

2) Head over to the far left corner.

3) Jumping into this corner will kill your character, but while jumping into the corner, rapidly tap the "release pet" button.

4) It may take a few attempts but the pet will appear in the lesson room above.

5) From here, the player can leave the lesson room and continue the game

To ensure this doesnt happen to you, after putting the white dragon together and collecting the "Mad-Eye Moody" character token DO NOT jump on the dragons head. In the bottom left corner the autosave logo will appear (Harry's Head). Wait until this logo is gone, and maybe a few seconds after just to be safe, before jumping on the dragon's head. This will ensure that you dont get trapped down there. Also, it doesnt hurt to copy your save file onto a flash drive before going into this room, so then if it does glitch, you can just go off of the file you backed up and not have to start over from the beginning.

EDIT: Patch Released. Problem Fixed.

Q: What are the red sparkles on objects and why can't i move them? Is it Dark Magic?

A: Red sparkles symbolize dark magic. The can only be used by evil wizards or witches. The characters who are able to use dark magic are:

• Lord Voldemort

• Quirrell (Voldemort)

• Tom Riddle

• Lucius Malfoy

• Barty Crounch Jr.

• Peter Pettigrew

• Deatheater

• Professer Snape (credit to CoCambria for providing this info)

To see how to unlock these characters, check this thread:

Collectibles Guide

Q: Help! My 100% Complete trophy didnt unlock! What do I do?

A This has been known to happen. Usually it is resolved by walking around or standing in the Diagon Alley/Leaky Cauldron area for a few minutes. Its unknown why this trophy glitches, but almost always pops up if you wait for a few minutes.

Q: Help! My Wonderful Weasly/Quidditch Team/Dark Wizards/Animagus Trophy didnt unlock! Why? What can I do?

A: These trophies are known to glitch if any of the characters needed for the trophy are purchased by the player 2 in co-op mode. There is no known remedy for the situation so far aside from starting the game over for that trophy. The best way to ensure these trophies unlock normally is to make sure player 1 purchases them all. Sometimes it is even better to be safe and have player 2 (if playing Co-op) drop out while you purchase characters.

Q: My gold brick indicater shows a gold brick in the library, but i have tried everything. What do i do? Is it a glitch?

A: There are 2 possible solutions to this. Sometimes the indicator lies to you and shows you a gold brick that isnt actually there. To see if this is what happened to you, turn off the House Crest detector. If the indicator disappears, it wasnt a real gold brick. If it is still blinking, it is a real gold brick and it is gotten by shooting the 3 hats on the bookshelves. They are sometimes kind of difficult to see, so look closely for them. After shooting all 3, a gold brick will appear in the center of the room.

Q: For some reason the gold brick in the clock tower won't show up. I have done everything in this room, but still nothing. What do i do?

This is another known glitch. After completing everything in this room and putting the cog on, the giant bell should drop a gold brick. Sometimes upon meeting the requirements for the brick, it doesnt show up. As of now, the reason for this glitch is unknown and there is no solution so far aside from starting the game over on a new save file.

Q: The collectibles guide says to go here for a character/student in peril/brick. How do I get there?

Check the image below for a map of the castle, which will show you how to get to all the rooms of Hogwarts:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ujlczl.png

Q: I have 99.9% and all collectables found. What am I missing?

A: There are a few things you could be missing. If the pause menu shows that you indeed have all collectables, the first step is to make sure you have purchased, not just unlocked, all of the characters. If you have already bought them all, next make sure you have bought all of the extra spells in Diagon Alley.

If you have those aswell, head to the upstairs room of the Leaky Cauldron and check to make sure all cutscenes were unlocked. It is frequent that some cutscenes will glitch and not unlock even if they are stoy related. Try going back and replaying that level with the "Replay Story" option, not "Freeplay". that should unlock the cutscene.

Q: My trophy for finishing year 1/2/3/4 didnt unlock. What do I do?

A: Try replaying the last level of that year. It should cause the trophy to unlock.

Q: Is there a built in map so I can see where I am in the castle? (question provided by idan08)

A:Unfortunately, there is no built in map. However you can easily find out where you are by walking around to a room that is easily recognizable, such as the courtyard, great hall, or common rooms then using the map above to figure out how to get to where you need to go.

Q: How do i get into Knockturn Alley? (question provided by idan08)

A: The entrance to Knockturn Alley is in the Diagon Alley area. About half way down the alley is a metal gate. To open it you need the "Reducto" spell, which is learned from a lesson near the beginning of year 4. After getting that spell, come back here, blast the gate open, and there you are.

Q: How do I get into Hogwarts without going to level selection and playing through the story again? (question provided by idan08)

A: Upon finishing all of story mode, you can have free roam of Hogwarts by going to the door that was formerly "Continue Story". It will now be "Return to Hogwarts". Once there you can freely go around hogwarts and collect everything that you missed.

Q: I am roaming around Hogwarts and see things that require Dark Magic/Golblins/A student from a different house, but i can only play as Harry, Ron, and Hermione. What do I do?

A: In the middle of year 2 you will unlock the ability to make "Polyjuice Potions". These potions allow you to change your character so you can go back and get all of the things you need special skills for.

If anyone knows of anything else that should be added to the FAQ list, i will add it in and credit you. I will continue to add more Q&A's as they develop.

Edited by T_l_M_B_0

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of questions, they dont have to be in the FAQ (just if you wish of course) but i just want the answers :):

1. there is a map in the game that i can see where i am?

2. there is a option to go to Hogwarts without the free play? if yes, how di i use it?

3. How do i go to Knockturn Alley?

Thanks for all the kind words guys :D

Glad you all like. Remember if you have any thing to add, let me know and I'll add it.

I have a couple of questions, they dont have to be in the FAQ (just if you wish of course) but i just want the answers :):

1. there is a map in the game that i can see where i am?

2. there is a option to go to Hogwarts without the free play? if yes, how di i use it?

3. How do i go to Knockturn Alley?

I'll add the first and last in to the FAQ but im not quite sure what you mean by the second question.

Thanks for this!

I'm not sure if I want to buy this game now... when I play a game I want to enjoy it, not watch what i'm doing all the time really carefully to avoid a load of glitches :(

The glitches can be pretty bad, but it is still an amazing game. I, for example, didnt get even a single glitch. If you know what your doing you can avoid most of them. So i still really recommend this game lol

Thanks for all the kind words guys :D

Glad you all like. Remember if you have any thing to add, let me know and I'll add it.

I'll add the first and last in to the FAQ but im not quite sure what you mean by the second question.

l

Thank you very much for your help.

In the second question i mean that if i want for exampel to go to the great hall for a red brick, there is option to go directly to Hogwarts and than go to the great hall without going to for exampel to year 2 level 3 and than "leave" my mission in this level for going to the great hall.

Exuse me fot the bad explanation, but i hope you understood.

Thank you very much for your help.

In the second question i mean that if i want for exampel to go to the great hall for a red brick, there is option to go directly to Hogwarts and than go to the great hall without going to for exampel to year 2 level 3 and than "leave" my mission in this level for going to the great hall.

Exuse me fot the bad explanation, but i hope you understood.

So basically you mean, is there a way to get into hogwarts, without having to start a level and use the "Story" hogwarts?

That is a pretty good question, i'll add it.

Great work as usual Timbo.

I read through this and actually got a couple good tips. I've already completed the game but this will help when I strive for the 100%.

Thanks again

thanks dude :D glad it helped!

So basically you mean, is there a way to get into hogwarts, without having to start a level and use the "Story" hogwarts?

That is a pretty good question, i'll add it.

Yea thats exactly what i meant, thank you very much.

There is a typo in the "Q: How do I get into Hogwarts without going to level selection and playing through the story again?" question i.e in the line "Once there you can freely go aro

und hogwarts and collect everything that you missed."

You've accidentaly split this sentance on to 2 lines when it should be on 1 ;).

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo

There is a typo in the "Q: How do I get into Hogwarts without going to level selection and playing through the story again?" question i.e in the line "Once there you can freely go aro

und hogwarts and collect everything that you missed."

You've accidentaly split this sentance on to 2 lines when it should be on 1 ;).

Oops my bad :o thanks for pointing that out dude :)

Q: What are the red sparkles on objects and why can't i move them? Is it Dark Magic?

Red sparkles symbolize dark magic. The can only be used by evil wizards or witches. The characters who are able to use dark magic are:

• Lord Voldemort

• Quirrell (Voldemort)

• Tom Riddle

• Lucius Malfoy

• Barty Crounch Jr.

• Peter Pettigrew

• Deatheater

To see how to unlock these characters, check this thread:

Collectibles Guide

Q: I am missing 1 character. Who is it and where can I find him/her?

A: If you have all but one character, the one you are missing is Lord Voldemort. He is obtained by collecting all 200 gold bricks and going to the "Borgin and Burkes" store in Nockturn Alley. There you will build a door with the gold bricks to open up a bonus level. Complete the level and he is yours.

Snape is also capable of using dark magic.

Also, if a person has 166/167 characters that does not necessarily mean they are missing Voldemort. You could get all 200 gold bricks without getting some of the character tokens throughout the game and then get Voldemort.

Snape is also capable of using dark magic.

Also, if a person has 166/167 characters that does not necessarily mean they are missing Voldemort. You could get all 200 gold bricks without getting some of the character tokens throughout the game and then get Voldemort.

I was pretty sure snape cant use dark magic.. confirmation anyone?