Knytt Underground (PS3 & Vita)

Not for me

disinformation

Picked this up as a freebie on ps+ and figured it would be pretty cool given that I thought Limbo was awesome...

Didn't like it, IMO the controls were way too sensitive for the amount of precision you needed at times - sure, I didn't play it for long, but I could see myself breaking controllers over it, so I gave up.

Having said that, if it weren't free on ps+, I probably wouldn't have tried it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Picked this up as a freebie on ps+ and figured it would be pretty cool given that I thought Limbo was awesome...

Didn't like it, IMO the controls were way too sensitive for the amount of precision you needed at times - sure, I didn't play it for long, but I could see myself breaking controllers over it, so I gave up.

Having said that, if it weren't free on ps+, I probably wouldn't have tried it.

Wish I'd seen your post before trying it even if was free, now I'm going to be stuck with an incomplete game forever. Note to self - not all the free games on PS+ will be to my liking, so don't get greedy ans download all.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful game, but the Falu Kohe trophy is another dimension which require razor sharp precision and top of the line reflexes.

Wish I'd seen your post before trying it even if was free, now I'm going to be stuck with an incomplete game forever. Note to self - not all the free games on PS+ will be to my liking, so don't get greedy ans download all.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful game, but the Falu Kohe trophy is another dimension which require razor sharp precision and top of the line reflexes.

Just try and try a bit more. There was only one or two rooms I had any issues with at all. Some of the rooms were actually pretty easy.

• 1 month later...

It controls like a game that was designed to work with a QWERTY keyboard.

Maybe because it was...

I really wanted to like this game since I love games where they just throw you into the game play. As well as exploration games with mapping (Metroid), but this game jsut doesn't have the precise control.

The graphics are all over the place. Some are quite nice (like the tree area) while others are pretty bland. The music is pretty nice though.

I will give it another play through before giving up though.

It controls like a game that was designed to work with a QWERTY keyboard.

Maybe because it was...

I really wanted to like this game since I love games where they just throw you into the game play. As well as exploration games with mapping (Metroid), but this game jsut doesn't have the precise control.

The graphics are all over the place. Some are quite nice (like the tree area) while others are pretty bland. The music is pretty nice though.

I will give it another play through before giving up though.

It's not before chapter 3 it really gets going. :)

While the controls are somewhat lose, they work well, but I guess you kinda have to get used to it. At least they are not sluggish and unresponsive like in Trine. :p My guess is, once you have played this game for a while, you will like it more.

Edited by MMDE

I actually bought this game a while back, before it became a PS+ game! At that time, I put about 30 minutes into it, and just didn't "get it". I got upset with myself for the impulse buy, and immediately rage-deleted it. :mad: :(

Then a week ago, when it came up on PS+, I decided I needed to give it a 2nd chance. This time I put enough time into it to finish off Chapter 1, blast through the annoying (but brief) Chapter 2, and am now fully hooked into Chapter 3. :eek: :cool:

At some point, it just clicked. Once you get through the learning curve of the controls and the [less-than-descriptive, often times, contradictory] visual language, it becomes quite a chillaxing (sorry! :p) experience! I've consistently put an hour or two a night into it since picking it back up, zoning out to the soundtrack and cruising through rooms. I probably spend more time just exploring and trying to open up more of the map, than actually completing objectives, but maybe that's what's keeping me engaged and not annoyed... :think:

Theres too much BS with running around all over the map. The game gets annoying fast now im on the challenges that should be fun. If I wasnt a completionist I would have dropped it long ago.

Maybe it is because you are playing the game to collect trophies that you do get annoyed. I mean you have to navigate the giant maze and get around etc, it's not easy to rush through. If you instead slowed down and enjoyed it, perhaps you would have had a different experience.

So true. Normally I'd skip a game like this, but I started it cause it looked a bit like Outland. Now that was a great game I enjoyed.

Outland is more an 2D action platformer with some few adventure elements, while this is a 2D adventure platformer with a little bit of puzzle. It's two different sub-genres.

If you only play this game for the trophies, look at the rarity of each trophy. Kinda cool to get them from that perspective too. :) Many of them will become your rarest trophies on PSNP. ;p It's a huge game though, so it could almost have done with a (P).

Edited by MMDE

Ya I noticed that the trophys are mostly rare. A lot of people seemed to have loaded the game for 5 minutes and turned it off forever. Cause the trophys aren't that hard, except the challenge one.. that gave me a lot of grief and frustration. A few times I almost gave up. I don't have the patience I used to. Like completing the original gran turismo. I don't think I could do that today. I'm 40 now so that tells you something.

Ya I noticed that the trophys are mostly rare. A lot of people seemed to have loaded the game for 5 minutes and turned it off forever. Cause the trophys aren't that hard, except the challenge one..

It would be easy to play through the entire game without getting any trophies. All of the trophies are either "very rare" or "ultra rare" on psnprofiles. That's why I love this trophy list, all of the trophies are so unique (and very well hidden).

I agree the controls could have been a bit more precise, but once you get used to it it's really fun. I'm loving this game. Even the figure, which I'm doing right now, even though it makes me want to RIP SOMEONE'S HEAD OFF!

Same here. Got it free on PS+ & I am glad I tried it on my alt tag first. The controls are way to wonky & in my opinion it's a piece. I'm deleting it right now. Not worth my time or frustration. (And this is coming from someone who will play just about anything On both the PS3 & 360).:mad:

It's just not fun.

Same here. Got it free on PS+ & I am glad I tried it on my alt tag first. The controls are way to wonky & in my opinion it's a piece. I'm deleting it right now. Not worth my time or frustration. (And this is coming from someone who will play just about anything On both the PS3 & 360).:mad:

It's just not fun.

At least get to the actual game. It doesn't start before in chapter 3, chapter 1 and 2 is just the tutorial and they are very small compared to the actual game. Funny thing is, the locations in chapter 1 and 2 is in the actual game (chapter 3).

Edited by MMDE

At least get to the actual game. It doesn't start before in chapter 3, chapter 1 and 2 is just the tutorial and they are very small compared to the actual game. Funny thing is, the locations in chapter 1 and 2 is in the actual game (chapter 3).

So true, unless you get to chapter 3 I don't believe you've given the game a fair chance. Personally, I'm really enjoying it, admittedly the map is probably overly big considering many rooms have nothing in them, but I like to see what's in store around the corner and the artwork is really wonderful.

It isn't great for trophy hunting I'll admit, but it's a refreshing change of pace, though the controls are finickity and tricksy, I may not feel the same way about the game after I get to the challenges!

So far, I think it's a bit of an underrated gem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have always loved those Metroidvania-style exploration games, so once I saw that's what this was, I knew I had to check it out. At first I wasn't really liking the game (getting stuck in rooms for a while and generally not knowing what to do is always frustrating), but I kind of like being forced to test out the game without being told where to go and when to go there.

I'm not sure if I'll play this through to 100% (I just finished level one), but I at least want to beat the game. =)

• 2 weeks later...