Cheap Trick for Witchslayer QTE (maybe)

Eye Beams

For those who are struggling with QTE's on the highest difficulty, try this:

What you'll need:

• QTE sequences written on paper (located in spoiler boxes for story-related trophies IN the trophy guide)

After defeating the bosses during previous runs along with countless QTE retries, you should be accustomed to the prompt timing--in other words--when it appears on the screen. If not, then don't fret... keep reading.

Normally you cannot pause during the post-boss sequences, but before the prompt actually appears, hit the :ps: button to open the XMB and "pause" the game, and a second time to return to the game itself. Now unpause, or take a breather to dry your sweaty palms.

:ps:

:start::ps:
:start::ps:
:start:

When you inch closer to the QTE, you should hit :ps: immediately after unpausing each time.

Keep doing this until you see something similar to the following pic:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/PicturingLegend/Temp/kcqte.jpg

Take a second to check your mini-reference paper so you know what button is next, unpause, press it quickly, and voila!

If the purple outline is too far out, you might end up failing the prompt. The distance shown above is relatively safe up to the point when the actual button appears and when the purple circle is completely gone from the screen (after touching the blue circle). It worked every time for me. Feel free to mash the non-mash commands. :whistle:

As for button mashing prompts, I can't really help there. All I know is that the tap rate differs for each boss.

I only started doing this on Faust (2nd form) and beyond. And that's about it. By the time you're reading this, I will no longer have Knights Contract in my possession...

EDIT: who're isn't a word, lulz.. :p

Edited by Eye Beams

Haha, that's awesome. Won't have a chance to try this now that I don't have the game as well, but a good tip nonetheless if it works.

Props to you for this method! :D

As for button mashing prompts, I can't really help there. All I know is that the tap rate differs for each boss.

And this. THIS. I can't stress how important this is.

• 3 months later...

Thread bump.

Over 500 views for this thread, only one response, and yet there are several people griping about the QTEs being impossible...Have they not scrolled down this forum's page?

I didn't have occasion to try this out during my own many playthroughs for the platinum, but I've recently loaned the game to a friend and he's been having a miserable time with the QTEs on Witch Slayer. So...I have literally just returned from his house where we tried this trick out on every single boss fight and it literally makes the QTEs a joke - Eye Beams is being far too modest by saying that this is "maybe" a possible exploit to beat the game: there's no doubt about it - you would have to have serious issues (physically and probably even mentally, as well) if you're incapable of employing this trick successfully.

Anyways, the trick works like a charm; to such a degree that anyone who thinks this game is a 10 difficulty simply because of the QTEs (and you probably know what I think of that opinion - just sayin') should be using this trick because it literally reduces the difficulty to a 1.

Now you are wrong my friend. This method has one major drawback. If you don't keep the same rythm all the time pausing and unpausing, you'll end up in a situation when it's too late for a button to register. That beeig said you can't just let a cutscene roll until that final moment when you prepare to push a button. Pausing and unpausing till :lsleft: when fighting with Faust takes about 4 minutes and you still usually fail on this prompt.

I have no idea what you mean by "keep the same rhythm pausing and unpausing"...You don't have to do this with any rhythm whatsoever - hit the PS button to go to the XMB, press it again to go back to the game, then press the START button to continue the game whenever you feel like it - if you're worried about missing the QTE window you just have to press the PS button immediately after pressing START...And I don't know why you would let the cut-scene go until the last possible moment: as Eye Beams says in the OP, you should know where the QTE prompts are going to occur and, as such, you just need to give yourself a little window of time to accommodate the prompt. Also, our experience on Faust was not that we "usually failed on this prompt" - we hit all the QTEs our first try, as we did with all the other boss fights.

Anyways: quite apart from whatever difference in experience anyone might have with this trick, my friend went from not being able to get past several of the bosses QTEs without the trick to getting them all in the first try with the trick - safe to say that the trick make the QTEs way easier than people have thus far been finding them.

i cant get for the love of god this trick working on the last faust battle,not even at the first promt,the framerate is so bad (10-15fps?) no matter how fast i press the homebutton i always end up at the point where i can see the button in the pause screen and then it's too late already

edit:

got him,but not with this trick,i just watched this vid on youtube over and over,remembering every single change of the camera angle etc,worked on the first try after failing the unpausing stuff 4x

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RB_ajw8oWU]‪Knights Contract Faust level boss gameplay video part 2 of 2.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

edit 2:

beat both verderinde qtes on the first try the same way

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvoPioWLmOU]‪Knights Contract Episode 20 FINAL HD Gameplay‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

it's really just the sudden change of camera angles that caughts you off guard

Edited by jigsaw

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Not working for me and I'm not even on Witchslayer yet. I'm on Hexen Knight Ch.19 Form 2. Sometimes I can get to Square mashing prompt and it's auto-fail. Other times I can't get past R1 or <--.

I do better without use PS button trick, but Square mashing never works. When I do try PS button trick, either the circle is too big, just right, or too small and it's too late. Since this boss has 7 prompts, I can never get the circle prompt to be the right size 7 times in a row, if that makes any sense.

Been trying this one boss for 3 hours straight today, and a few times previous days. I just can't get past the QTEs. Never took me more than 5 tries up until now, but Ch.19 form 2 I had to try this trick and it's still not working.

Edited by Koraf

Not working for me and I'm not even on Witchslayer yet. I'm on Hexen Knight Ch.19 Form 2. Sometimes I can get to Square mashing prompt and it's auto-fail. Other times I can't get past R1 or <--.

I do better without use PS button trick, but Square mashing never works. When I do try PS button trick, either the circle is too big, just right, or too small and it's too late. Since this boss has 7 prompts, I can never get the circle prompt to be the right size 7 times in a row, if that makes any sense.

Been trying this one boss for 3 hours straight today, and a few times previous days. I just can't get past the QTEs. Never took me more than 5 tries up until now, but Ch.19 form 2 I had to try this trick and it's still not working.

same for me, seems impossible

same for me, seems impossible

Finally got the plat. Still didn't get this trick to work, so I played to my strength. I press the PS button twice before every input and let the sound effects play out. That way my cue was not only visual but audio. Only the music is playing in the background at this time, so the input audio cue is easier to hear.

Most important tip I think and never saw mentioned anywhere: Double tap your input when prompted. Many many times I'd hit the button perfectly and I'd get the red X not understanding why. Switched to double tap and near perfect every time. The "mash button" prompts? Start mashing the button way before the prompt appears.

I found Witchslayer to be way easier than Hexen Knight. Mainly because of the pause and double tap, but I found you could actually repeatedly tap the button way in advance and it would still register. Except for directional inputs.

Edited by Koraf

• 6 months later...