I do not care about the story at all.

That's it. I continually find myself skipping conversations. Doing it now as a matter of fact. But the combat is fucking fun.

Exactly what I did. Found it so exhaustively bland, generic and cliche that I skipped every bit of conversation I found.

Maybe Im an old timer, having played too many WRPGs and MMOs for this to be memorable. Thought I would pick the DLCs before beginning this game with eyes closed, now I wouldnt pay for both of them 2€ each even.

Thing is, I just can't quite put my finger on why. I mean, I traditionally love these types of games. And I know it isn't a great comparison, but its the closest one I've got in skyrim. Freakinig loved that game and couldn't get enough of the conversations/story/etc. But like I said earlier, still worth paying because the combat is great. Just when I put this game down, ill never think about it again.

Swooped it out of the $20 bin so no biggie.

Thing is, I just can't quite put my finger on why. I mean, I traditionally love these types of games. And I know it isn't a great comparison, but its the closest one I've got in skyrim. Freakinig loved that game and couldn't get enough of the conversations/story/etc. But like I said earlier, still worth paying because the combat is great. Just when I put this game down, ill never think about it again.

I enjoyed Skyrim but thought it was an awful RPG, and I think Amalur is in a similar vein to that. Amalur is decent enough, partially because of the atractiveness of the game world, but it's very much forgettable.

I was enthralled with Oblivion, but less so with Skyrim. I reckon Amalur's issue is that it's just too derivative. It's neither good nor bad. It's just exactly the same stuff we've seen before. Instead of elves they're fae. Instead of dwarves they're gnomes. But everything functions the same way. Humans, elves, and dwarves, a whole swag of lore, a whole lot of people getting lost in the woods looking for some key.

That said, I'm enjoying the game but can't really play for more than a few hours at a time before I get a bit bored.

Usually a sucker for lore/mythology/story, and the Dark Elf trilogy (Books from R.A. Salvatore) was smashing, but once I stopped asking about everything, and no more than glanced at the sidequest-dialogue (barely done any MainQ), I found myself being less bored and enjoying the game immensely.

I feel like I'm playing Skyrim, only with a better (fun and playable) combat-system.

• 1 month later...

I usually never play games if i don't enjoy even the most obvious story, but this was the only game making an exception for me, i skipped almost all the story, reading only the necessary for understading a bit of it, but still enjoyed the game for it's gameplay. I still don't think this game is a masterpiece, it's really generic but at the same time it really deserve at least some hours of play.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm downloading it on the PS3 now as it is free and I liked it well enough, but on my 360 playthrough, I found myself skipping through many conversations. Usually I love to hear out everything NPCs have to say in games, and I liked the Celtic-inspired lore here, but the NPCs were just SO dry and wordy that was a chore to hear them out.

Ya same. I was expecting more because I have read loads of novels by R.A. Salvatore and he's a fantastic author but the story of this game didn't grab me at all. The characters are very generic fantasy tropes and there's not much in terms of cinematics to drag you in. I felt like this game was a fail story wise but the gameplay was pretty solid, for an rpg.

• 1 month later...
I spend the whole time hammering the square button.

I just find the stories and quests so samey. A bunch of different names for things but it's Fantasy Land 101. Feel like I've heard it all before. And it's just not interesting to read about Fae or Elves or whatever.

Seems pretty much like me too. I stop and read the story missions (not fully, but the least) and skip all conversation on the sidequests. By the way, I've allied to the Widow because of this and had to wipe out an entire village for her (what I reaaaaally regret doing!), my luck is that I didn't made the same mistake at the end of the House Of Ballads' final quest. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...