Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Kingdom of Amular: Reckoning. This thread has been created to discuss anything Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. A little reminder for you all, posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread is punishable with a three day ban.

Edited by Johnny Bananas

i start. the story is crap (and a stickied thread not required IMO) and i could leave it as that...but i try to elaborate:

you start as a random guy who has no fate and can change the fate of the world. you meet like 4 people during the 20h main story. none of them are interesting at all. you beat random bosses and a final boss that is introduced in the last minutes of the game. it's all very very generic. the faction quests are more interesting, but basically in all of them you have to kill the gone-bad leader of the faction as a boss...like w00t?

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/322-bad-story-bro.jpg

personally i thought the fortress fight plus boss should have been the end of the game.

you don't play this game for the story, but for the combat and the huge amount of content and quests.

Edited by Jaytech

Thanks jmowen for this thread.

I was disappointed in story too. It had all the elements to tell a great story. Biggest problem was no motivation for player character to progess in story quest, though they could've easily made it a quest about trying to piece together your memory. Would've fit with the fate theme so well.

Memory = past.

Fate = future.

You have no past or future. A can-be-cliched premise that would've been perfect in this one. God Of War [1st one] did it really well. Kratos' past is revealed ever so slowly, but by the time you reach the final boss, you too are thirsting for revenge. If a guy who thinks stories and games don't go well together can tell an interesting story, why can't an established writer?

Really? I can only recall one character who you thought was good and got to know but eventually had to kill (leader of House of Sorrows).

Sure there were plenty of characters who you knew were bad and got to eventually kill (like end of Mage's Guild) and plenty of people you met right before killing them (like the Cur of Vengeance), but who else "became" an evil boss?

Really? I can only recall one character who you thought was good and got to know but eventually had to kill (leader of House of Sorrows).

Sure there were plenty of characters who you knew were bad and got to eventually kill (like end of Mage's Guild) and plenty of people you met right before killing them (like the Cur of Vengeance), but who else "became" an evil boss?

Though he wasn't bad, he was doing what he thought he needed to do so that the Fae could live on, if you get it out of him he mentions there is a coming fire, something that scared and humbled him so and he thinks the Tuatha are the only ones that can stop it.

Though over all I am quite enjoying the story, the main story looks like it is pretty simple over all be all the faction missions tie into it in quite a strong way that makes it stronger, and even some of the side missions do the same thing. Namely the Balor cult and the three people who each have a reason for being there. Oh that and its a good idea to ask questions and listen to whats going on with most people, the creators of the game even said if you want to know the full story you need to talk, otherwise you can just go with the lets get it done type options.

Edited by dante_kinkade

I can't recall names, but for example, it seems like almost every female ally ended up needing killed later. :(

I can't recall names, but for example, it seems like almost every female ally ended up needing killed later. :(

I didn't see a problem to that at all, it always tends to be the other way around, and with the hirophant you only get her arrested, wanted to kill her the most. But you also end up killing a few guys you thought where allies as well, though not too sure if the guy in the one gnome lived or died.

I also got to a point where I was just skipping the dialogue so I could get through the missions. I just beat the game a few weeks ago, but I honestly can't remember too much about the main story. That's how little of an impact it had on me. But overall I really enjoyed the game and I think they could be on the right track to something epic (well, I hope so anyway).

As of now, I am planning on getting the DLC when it comes out in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

The story really didn't interest me at all, especially after such high-quality storytelling in fantasy RPGs such as Skyrim and Dragon Age: Origins.

I skipped most of the dialogue options (the voice acting was unbelievably atrocious) and really didn't engage at all. When, at the end of the Warsworn faction quest, I was given the option to slaughter all of my Warsworn comrades at the behest of whatever that mad demon was called, I did so without a single feeling of guilt or remorse, because no time or effort had been put into making me care about the characters.

Also, the faction-leader-turned-bad-guy criticism is a valid one, it happens in the both House of Sorrows and Travellers questlines, you battle a possessed version of the faction leader in the Scholia Arcana questline, and you have the option to kill all the faction leaders in the Warsworn questline. The House of Ballads also requires you to kill the Queen and certain other members of the court, but not the King himself.

As mentioned above, you'd think that a much lauded and much published fantasy author would be able to write a fairly decent fantasy story. Evidently not.

As mentioned above, you'd think that a much lauded and much published fantasy author would be able to write a fairly decent fantasy story. Evidently not.

But he didn't write the story for this game. He had written the complete setting and lore of the world and overarching story for the MMORPG. BHG [i think] were brought on-board and they wrote the story to fit within the world Salvatore had created, fit 2000 years prior to events of MMORPG that Salvatore had written.

• 2 weeks later...

It was dull. So dull that I can hardly remember the key plot elements, and I finished the game yesterday.

And the final boss battle. That was possibly the most pathetic final boss I've ever seen. Basically, dodge crystals, kill ghosts, R1+L1, attack a couple times, rinse-repeat. Such a disappointment.

And why is it even rated 18+? Must be the Banshaen Priestess...

I just beat the main story line today just short of 105 hours of game play. I really wanted to enjoy the story, I just feel that it wasn't implemented as well as it could have been. The combat was always a blast, but the Fate Shift mechanic turned out to just be a win button, especially after you learn to make the Fate potion. My biggest complaint was the insane amount of side quests that were for the most part useless.

Overall I hope 38 Studios comes out with a sequel and blows it out of the water because I think the world of Amalur has a lot of potential.

The story is bland at best. Even tho I loved Elder Scrolls I HATE when they have it where YOUR character is a Mute. Its ridiculous. It makes your character even easier to forget. I loved my lil sexy heroine that I created but the fact she doesnt talk or anything is nonsense. At least it would have added to the story a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my first playthrough last night as a warrior.

I didn't think the story was too bad, I've experienced much worse in other games and even RPG's. I actually enjoyed it more and more as it went along. I was pretty awestruck by Tirnoch - pretty impresive graphical feat I thought.

I really liked Alyn Shir (apart from obvious reasons;)). I just hoped that she wasn't involved with Gadflow because I would have been crushed if I had to harm her:(

The story just felt very rushed in the last 10 minutes, that is all I could fault. BHG/38 Studios should take a leaf out of Bioware's book (Mass Effect) and have the character speak. All you got was a raise of the left eyebrow once in a while.

It is a very good game though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This game is actually really good RPG gameplay wise but it lacks the character development and the feeling of quest progression when you are doing the Main quest line, all the "House of" are better and I think it's because they are shorter and more of a five step thing before the last boss kind of feeling. I would recommend this game to anyone who is looking for RPG games because it will actually keep you busy for a long while to achieve platinum, It's VERY Warcraft ish however and for me that is a little of a flaw, they should've kept going in their own directions cause when they do you notice the game gets better momentarily.

The story for say is not that good and sometimes even thou I'm pretty much an RPG fan, I pressed (square) for skip way to many times then I could've counted, the pattern for the dialog is obvious, There will almost always be a dialog witch goes like "Why?" then "Where?" before you are running to the next circle on the minimap.

• 11 months later...
This game is actually really good RPG gameplay wise but it lacks the character development and the feeling of quest progression when you are doing the Main quest line, all the "House of" are better and I think it's because they are shorter and more of a five step thing before the last boss kind of feeling. I would recommend this game to anyone who is looking for RPG games because it will actually keep you busy for a long while to achieve platinum, It's VERY Warcraft ish however and for me that is a little of a flaw, they should've kept going in their own directions cause when they do you notice the game gets better momentarily.

The story for say is not that good and sometimes even thou I'm pretty much an RPG fan, I pressed (square) for skip way to many times then I could've counted, the pattern for the dialog is obvious, There will almost always be a dialog witch goes like "Why?" then "Where?" before you are running to the next circle on the minimap.

When I started out I found myself exploring every piece of conversation with everyone, reading every book, and taking in every lorestone. By the end I would only pay attention to the main points of a conversation and only exploring everyones dialogue for the main characters and skimming books if they sounded interesting. I know exactly how you feel. Legend of Dead Kel was more interesting from a story standpoint. I just have Naros left so we'll see how that was. I didn't think the main quest story was bad, but it could have been developed a lot better.

• 7 years later...