Kingdoms of Amalur FAQ

Kingdoms of Amalur FAQ

Can’t find the answer you are looking for? Ask below, if it is something that others may have issues with, I will add it to the FAQ.

Question: What are the differences between the starting races, and which one is better?

Answer: There is very little difference between the starting races. At each level, you get one point that you can place into your ‘Skills’. Each class starts off with a different arrangement of four pre-placed points. These bonuses are:

- Almain (Human): Blacksmithing +2, Alchemy +1, Persuasion +1

- Varani (Human): Lockpicking +2, Detect Hidden +1, Mercantile +1

- Ljosalfar (Light Elves): Dispelling +2, Alchemy +1, Sagecraft +1

- Dokkalfar (Dark Elves): Stealth +2, Persuasion +1, Sagecraft +1

Obviously there is no ‘best’ race. However, some of these skills are more beneficial at early levels, while some are more useful later in the game, when you probably have enough points anyway. Most of the crafting skills are much less useful early in the game, meaning that at the point in the game when you won’t just have enough points for this not to matter, the worst skills are: Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Sagecraft, and Mercantile. However, picking locks is also ridiculously easy in this game, so Lockpicking is a skill that you won’t ever want points in. I made up my own little value system, very basic, to evaluate each class for their early game advantage, putting weighting on each of the skills.

Lockpicking = 0 points

Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Sagecraft, Mercantile = 0.5 points

Detect Hidden, Dispelling, Persuasion, Stealth = 1 point

From this we can see that:

Almain = 2.5 points

Varani = 1.5 points

Ljosalfar = 3 points

Dokkalfar = 3.5 points

For the early game, I feel that Dokkalfar has a huge advantage over the other classes. But keep in mind this is entirely personal preference, especially in the lockpicking valuing. Choose based on your own playstyle.

Question: What do each of the skills actually do for me?

Answer: There are nine skills that your character can put a point into each time they level up. These skills are: Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Detect Hidden, Dispelling, Lockpicking, Mercantile, Persuasion, Sagecraft, and Stealth. These skills all have different effects on your gameplay. A brief overview of each is given below:

Alchemy: This skill allows you to have a higher success rate when harvesting reagents (plants) around Amalur, which can then be used to create potions. More points in Alchemy also allows you to create better potions.

Blacksmithing: This skill makes your repair kits more effective, causing each usage to repair your armour and weapons more efficiently. You will also be able to salvage parts for crafting from enemies. More points in Blacksmithing also allows you to create better armour and weapons, allowing you to add more components onto a single item.

Detect Hidden: This skill allows you, quite literally, to detect things that would otherwise be hidden. This is a very multi-purpose skill. Early levels allow you to detect enemies on your map, while later levels allow you to see otherwise hidden doorways and lorestones on your map. Each point in Detect Hidden will also increase how much gold you find when looting chests and enemies.

Dispelling: This skill allows you to dispel wards, found protecting chests, more effectively. Each point will decrease the difficulty of dispelling wards. Each point will also increase your probability to auto-dispel a ward.

Lockpicking: This skill allows you to pick locks more effectively. With more points in lockpicking, you will be able to force progressively more difficult locks without having to pick them.

Mercantile: This skill improves prices when dealing with merchants, in terms of buying and selling. More points in this skill will allow you to retain a percentage of an item’s value when you destroy it (useful for treasure salvaging with limited inventory space).

Persuasion: This skill increases the probability that you will be successful when attempting to convince an NPC of something. More points in this skill will decrease your bribe costs, when you are attempting to absolve yourself of a crime.

Sagecrafting: This skill increases your proficiency when using a Sagecraft Altar, as well as causing better shards to drop from enemies. Sagecraft Altars allow you to combine shards to create gems which can be socketed into certain weapons and armour at a Blacksmith Forge.

Stealth: This skill allows you to sneak more effectively, so that NPCs, monster and neutral alike, will have a harder time detecting you. This is useful for pickpocketing and for doing sneak attacks to enemies.

For more information, see: Reckoning: Skills

Question: What are the differences between the different Ability trees?

Answer: There are three different Ability trees. They are: Might, Finesse, and Sorcery. Each tree is extremely different, and will be the guideline for how you play. Don’t worry, you can reset points if you make a mistake. Each tree represents fairly typical classes in most RPGs.

Might: the warrior. Those in the Might tree use Longswords, Greatswords, and Hammers. They rely mostly on their brute strength, while using abilities mostly to position themselves or enemies, and keep enemies stunned.

Finesse: the rogue. Those in the Finesse tree use Daggers, Faeblades, and Longbows. They are stealthy and rely on sneaking up on enemies and laying traps. They also have an extensive knowledge of poison and ways to cause prolonged bleeding for stealth attacks followed by retreating.

Sorcery: the mage. Those in the Sorcery tree use Staffs, Scepters, and Chakrams. They don’t have much health, but they make up for that with magical defenses, and their insane damage. They require time to cast skills, so positioning is important, but if they get a skill off properly, most enemies won’t be getting up.

Question: Where can I get more storage?

Answer: There are two ways to get more storage. First, you can purchase more backpacks. Each backpack you purchase, and then use, gives you a permanent bonus of 10 inventory slots. There are five different merchants you can buy backpacks from, to give you a total inventory space of 120. These merchants, and their locations, are:

- Rikka Egest - The Corner Shop, Gorhart (Odarst)

- Wil Donall - Scholia Arcana, Rathir (Tywili Coast)

- Riona Helt - Asker's Alley, Ysa (The Sidhe)

- Senecer Macit - Domus Politica, Adessa (Apotyre)

- Illyn Doldran - Mel Senshir (Cursewood)

The second way to get more storage is to obtain a house. The earliest point in the game that you can obtain a house is when you first arrive in Canneroc, which is east-south-east from Gorhart, the first town you encounter. When you first enter the town, you will be attacked by giant spiders. Defeat them and you will trigger a quest. Finish the quest and spare the man at the end (I spared him, I am unsure whether you will get the house if you decide to kill him) and you will get a key to your first house. Inside is a chest which you can use to store items inside. There is a limited number of items you can store inside the chest. You can obtain multiple houses, in several of the bigger towns, but the storage space does not reset with each house you own.

Edited by DKsDragon

Question: What are Lorestones?

Answer: Lorestones are quite literally stones that you will find throughout your gameplay. Each time you activate a Lorestone, you will hear lore about the area that you are in. If you activate all the lorestones in a set, you will get a permanent set bonus. The set bonuses are listed below:

[spoiler=00001] Lorestones with 5 in the set:

Odarath - +4% Damage with Melee vs. Humans

Yolvan - +10% Poison Damage vs. Fae

Webwood - +6% Fire Damage

Ettinmere - +3% Melee Damage

Gorguath - +6% Damage with Faeblades

Glendara - +4% Health

Haxhi - +3% Chance to Critical hit vs. Fae.

The Sidhe - +6% Mana

Summoner's End - +6% Damage with Hammers

Dalentarth - +8% Poison Resistence

Castle Windemere - +2% chance to Critical Hit

The Wolds - +4% Health

Cradle of Summer - 5% Chance to steal 10 Mana per hit

Tala-Rane - +3% Gold Drops

Kandrian - +20% Bleeding Resistance

Galafor - +20 Health

The Red Marches - +20% Burning Duration

Alserund - +5% Armour

The Hollowlands - +6% Fire Resistance

Menetyre - +6% Armour

Apotyre - +4% Health

The Midden - +6% Bleeding Damage

Caeled Coast - +3% Damage with Ranged

Klurikon - -10% Equip Requirements

Alabastra - +4% Damage Resistance

Amaura - +6% Critical Hit Damage with Magic

Bhaile - +10% Health, +10% Mana

Lorestones with 10 in the set:

Spring - +3% Health, +3% Mana

Summer - +1 Health regen per second

Fall - +1 Mana regen per second

Winter - +10% Ice Resistance

To find the lorestones, it helps to have 10 points in Detect Hidden, which will allow you to see them on your map. If you want to make it easier, or don’t want to invest 10 points in Detect Hidden (you will still need at least 5 to open hidden doors), you can use the following guide: Lorestones Guide.

Question: What are trainers, and where can I find them?

Answer: Trainers are NPCs who will permanently increase one of your skills, for a fee. There are many to be found throughout Amalur. Basic Trainers can increase your skill when you have the skill level 0-3. Advanced trainers can increase the skill when you have the skill level 4-6. You can only use each trainer once. Here is a list of all trainers, their locations, and whether they are basic or advanced:

Basic Trainers:

[spoiler=00002]Alchemy

Jakasen, found in Ysa

Molly Janick, found in Emaire

Blacksmithing

Halder Rodrick, found in Shieldring Keep

Holte Flenn, found in Ysa

Detect Hidden

Arnick Aduna, found in Gorhart Inn, Gorhart

Ambassador Odvar, found in Embassy Hall, Ysa

Dispelling

Eric Porthe, found in Adessa Walls, only during the evening

Saramer, found in Trellis, Ysa

Lockpicking

Thorvald Ulfsson, found in South East Lorca-Rane

Tefroy Tarion, found in Tiren’s Nest, Galafor – ‘Lock and Key’ quest completion required

Mercantile

Elayen Dark, found in Star Camp, Dalentarth

Anton Demain, found in Northern Alserund

Persuasion

Ellova, found in House of Ballads

Magessa Ohr, found in Rathir, Upper District

Sagecraft

Savant Raina Senjorn, found in Ysa – requires a key from the Scholia Arcana Embassy

Viscount Setter the Allseer, found in Gardens/Trellis, Ysa

Stealth

Hiron Karet, found in Star Camp, Daletarth

Inthaels Scyld, found in Moon Camp, Plains of Erathell

Advanced Trainers:

[spoiler=00003]Alchemy

Savant Red Thombrum, found in Rathir, Scholia Arcana

Blacksmithing

Efyr Dynnwel, found in Ironfast Keep

Detect Hidden

Unnamed, found in Adessa Isles

Dispelling

Artan Caid, found in Rathir, Scholia Arcana

Lockpicking

Unnamed, found in Hospitalis Quarters, Adessa Walls

Mercantile

Eormen Gest, found in Moon Camp, Plains of Erathell

Persuasion

Unnamed, found in Adessa Isles

Sagecraft

Savant Itran Sconn, found in Rathir, Scholia Arcana

Stealth

Unnamed, found in Hospitalis Quarters, Adessa Walls

For more information, see: Skill Trainers

Question: What are curses, and how do I remove them?

Answer: Curses are debuffs that you can get from certain enemies, or breaking wards on chests. They will cause you to have a passive negative status effect, which you can view by going into the :start: menu and selecting Status, Effects. They can be removed by going to a healer, or using a purification potion, which can be bought or created at an alchemy shop.

Question: What does the fraction on my equipment mean?

Answer: That number is your equipment’s level of disrepair. If it reaches 0, the item will break. You can check this value by simply viewing the equipment under the You can repair items at a blacksmith, or using a repair kit. Repair kits will be more effective as you level up your blacksmithing.

Edited by DKsDragon

how do you use skill books and where can you find them ??

I believe there is a guide on IGN listing the locations for all skill books - There is one for each skill. To use them you just have to read them and you will get a notification saying your skill was increased.

I believe there is a guide on IGN listing the locations for all skill books - There is one for each skill. To use them you just have to read them and you will get a notification saying your skill was increased.

The guide is accurate but not entirely so. I have already received the Lockpicking Skill book without yet having entered the listed location. Unfortunately I don't remember when or where I got it.

how do i get lots of gold? (without the gold glitch)

Umm....play the game? Seriously though, the gold will come as you play the game. Trust me. As Heiligkekse said the Freeman Bounty is a good quick way and Mercantile is an option. Don't forget too that as you progress in the quest lines the payouts get better. But if you're looking for a lot of gold early in the game you're going to have to do the glitch.

lol i was talking about this glitch

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/kingdoms-amalur-reckoning/147562-unlimited-gold-exploit-glitch.html

but thanks for the replies i only recently started lol

We're aware of the glitch and know that's what you were speaking of. Heiligkekse was saying that the Freeman Bounty is NOT a glitch but instead a repeatable Task. It was assumed that you did not want to acquire money via a glitch so the distinction was made.

Ayten job board - Turning in Freeman Armbands.
On my second playthrough, I had over 500K in gold by the time I got that quest. For me, ~150K is the point where I can't spend it fast enough. Anything below that and I'm trying to stay within a budget so I can afford the trainers I want, but I think by the time I time that area, I was finished with most training for a while...

I didn't actually train myself once in my playthrough... so I beat the final story boss, got sent to a town, and immediately was addressed by someone, who had items that were all 150k+. So I bought like 5 of them and used up all my cash. Then I went through the side storylines, and did the persuasion trophy, and ended with around another 2mil. You get gold ridiculously fast, it isn't even an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...